A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving Craft Rooms ... Color Pondering and Such  (Read 929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2006 09:38:33 AM »

Well, I think I am going to trade dens with DH. The other den (was the computer room until we moved that out to the dining room) is a tiny bit bigger, has a ceiling fan with light, and the cable outlet. The configuration is a bit better for me too since there is a wall that actually has wall space on either perpendicular side so I can in theory have a whole wall of counter and shelves.

Here are assorted photos of my current room. http://sewpixie.tinfoildreams.com/blog/sewingroom.php

The purple I loved at first then grew to not like so much since it really locked me in decorating wise. So, with the new room I am thinking more of a neutral color so I can dress it up differently as my tastes change. For example, I really love the craft room with the fabric pieces on the wall (can't think of the link at the moment) as art work. That would be great to change out over time to display different prints that I like.

The question is, what neutral color to choose? It is plain white now, which is a possibility, but I would like to have something a tad different from white.  I see a lot of rooms with almost a robin's egg blue/aqua which looks nice. The chair I have is a medium/dark olive-ish green, so a very pale olive is a possibility too. See...I'm stumped.  Huh I'm looking for a color that is subtle so the rest of the room can be the star, a color that plays well with lots of other colors and a color that isn't going to make me ill after seeing it for too long.

Also...the large armoire I will be keeping in the room. I don't want to paint it (it is a laminate so it woudl be a pain to get it to look nice painted plus I love it as is), so it will remain it's cherry-like wood color. The purple desk I will repaint, perhaps white? And the workspace and shelving will probably be white as well. If I use some darker brown storage boxes on the shelves, and make change out the handles on the desk, so you think that will balance out the armoire? I don't want it to be this big sea of dark in the room and look out of place. Right now the bench matches it, but I don't think I will have room for the bench so it will go down to the living room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006 10:00:25 AM »

Ohh how I wish I could come over and help you out! I love doing stuff like this Smiley

Ok, for wallcolors I'd go for either a dark sand, or a very muted olive/moss green. Or both, with the darker of the colors as just an accent wall. Then you can color the place up to taste by using accessories! Those colors'd work well with the chair you have.

I wouldn't paint the desk white though, you'll see every little thing on it. Maybe make the major parts a different shade of your accent wall if you end up doing that, and then make the smaller bits like the drawers in a dark shade of the same color.  And find some new knobs for it, to match it Wink.  And if you change out the armoires handles too, you can make them match what you have on the desk.

For your shelves, maybe you can get some boxes (wood?) to put on them, and have them painted in colors to match the major ones in the room? Some cherry-coloring, some of the wall, the desk, etc? That would pull it all together more.

Ohh, you've got the ideas flowing now.... let me know if you can use any of this and if you need more ideas lol

and gosh darnit, now I'm re-thinking some of the stuff I could do for our swap lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006 03:19:12 PM »

Yeah I think I am leaning towards a green shade, very light though. And good point about the desk! Hmm, I could also do the counter and shelves in that too, or stick with the white.

A light muted olive would go fine with the purples I have now, or with pinks, oranges, browns, or just about anything else that would strike me so I can change out the decor on a whim without having to repaint. Horray!

Now to find the least expensive way to do the counter and shelves....and to get DH to clean up his mess so we can make the switch.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006 01:04:21 AM »

the least expensive way would just be to paint it lol. Shop around though, there's deals out there, and different paints. Don't forget to look at the stuff people have had mixed up and didn't like, you might get lucky, and they're always discounted big time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006 06:48:48 AM »

I meant the counter and shelves that I want to add to the room. Smiley I found last night that two cabinets in our garage that were just left there when we moved in are a good height so I can use them as supports for a table top. Woo!

I'll start collecting paint chips here soon to decide on the wall color. I'm leaning towards a green tint but will pick up a few more options just in case.

Working on a layout now, just want to double check the measurements. On the one wall I should be able to fit a desktop from Ikea that is just over 6' and flank each side with a tall 16" wide bookcase (also from Ikea). On that wall space I can put additional shelves, and probably even less shelves and have room for some artwork.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006 08:47:51 AM »

ahh, gotcha! Hey, now that's good use of space then Wink

Heh, don't forget that you can always do an accent wall in a different color, too. To break things up a bit Wink

Man, I'm so envying you your new space (well, I envied you your old one, too lol Wink). So err, how quickly do you think you'll settle on colors? *hintnudge*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006 11:02:59 AM »

I'm thinking all wall the same color since I want them to sort of be a background and then change up the color scheme on a whim.

So here are the main choices I am thinking of. I'd love to get others input on this since I see a lot of bright and pretty rooms around here!

* pale pale olive green
* pale pale butter yellow
* pale pale blue/green

What qualities I am looking for:
* subtle, I'd like the rest of the room to be the star and the walls to be support
* mostly neutral with a little color
* can adapt to lot of different room color schemes (such as purple/green, pink.green, orange, turquose/brown, who knows what whim I will have for colors so I'd lke to be able to change it up with out having to repaint anything)
* goes well with white, cherry wood tone, and my olive green chair

THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006 11:11:22 AM »

in that case, I'd go with the olive lol. Get different paintwhatsits to figure out the exact shade though, and go from there Wink
Man you have no idea just how badly I'd love to help you with this (aside from virtual lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Minion Cupcakes
How to Make High Heel Cupcakes
Rainbow Cupcake Recipe
How to Make Nutella Fudge Pops
How to Make a Tapioca Pudding With Coconut Caramel Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...