A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing paper  (Read 929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onecraftybitch
« on: November 28, 2006 07:54:00 AM »

Hello to all!

I have a quick question about sewing paper for cards. Do you just run it through your sewing machine? What needle size(s) do you use? Does it work the same way if you are sewing fabric to paper?

I figured that I would toss this out there to y'all since Craftsters know all! Thanks for the help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitty club
old is the new new

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006 07:58:42 AM »

yeah I usually just run it through like usual, but I always feel like I am hurting my sewing machine. as long as you're careful and don't use to thick a paper it should be alright.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the mermaids in the basement came out to look at me
elecbunni

Apparently, communists make the best cigars...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006 08:34:55 AM »

I just use a regular sized needle, but make sure it is SHARP, otherwise the paper will keep cutting your thread. Set your stitch length pretty long, go slow, and have at! Don't forget to lock the stitches at both ends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. - Maya Angelou
onecraftybitch
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006 10:31:14 AM »

Thanks to you both! I will make sure the the needle is sharp and the stitches are long.

Thanks for the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maps
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006 09:47:00 PM »

Ha!  I love craftster...  I was just looking for tips on machine sewing with paper, and here is the perfect discussion thread!

I found a website here: http://www.momscape.com/scrapbooking/articles/techniques/sewing.htm that had these tips...

Machine Sewing on Paper

Machine-sewing on paper is much the same as sewing on fabric. It takes a little practice, but don't let the idea intimidate you.

A couple of tips:

- Before you start to stitch, make sure your bobbin has enough thread to finish the job. If your bobbin runs out of thread midway, you'll be left with holes in the paper that you'll have to work to conceal.

- Don't try to machine stitch more than 3 layers at a time.

- Don't "knot" the thread as you would when sewing on fabric by going over the same spot repeatedly. Secure the thread underneath by adhering it to piece of paper, and it won't unravel.

Does that sound like good advice to you pro paper-stichers out there?  I would totally be like Knitty club and feel like I was hurting my sewing machine if I went in blind.  Also, does it make sense to change needles for paper and fabric, like you do with scissors?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006 09:51:43 PM by maps » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been laid up with bronchitis for two weeks. I am catching up now. Please let me know if I have forgotten something! Sad  -4/5/11
crafting in my cave
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 08:37:44 PM »

Once you use that needle for paper, you should probably make it only for paper. Kind of like only cutting fabric with one pair of scissors than never touch paper. Either keep it in a different place than where you store your other needles, probably mark it with nail polish or wrap a piece of masking tape with "PAPER ONLY" on the needle before storing.

You may still think your needle is sharp, but if you go to use it on a lightweight fabric, you'll see issues.

Just an ounce of prevention.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew, what are you up to? http://asgchicago.wordpress.com/
maps
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 10:09:10 PM »

That is Exactly the type of advice I am looking for!  Thank you for the tip!  Now if I could just work up the nerve to actually try this with my machine...   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been laid up with bronchitis for two weeks. I am catching up now. Please let me know if I have forgotten something! Sad  -4/5/11
crafting in my cave
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007 10:34:06 PM »

Relax, maps, your machine can handle it. Did you know that a piece of tissue paper or a plastic grocery bag under the pressure foot helps move slippery fabrics? So, if it can handle that, it can handle paper.

I wouldn't run bookboard through it -- unless you have an industrial machine that could rip through anything.

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew, what are you up to? http://asgchicago.wordpress.com/
maps
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007 12:08:22 PM »

OK, I'll do it!  I've been wanting to try sewing on cards for so long  - yay!  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007 11:01:37 PM by maps » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Tips to Look Dynamite in Your Bikini
The 30-Something Guide to Gorgeous Skin
Best Of Beauty Products And Louboutin Sole Protectors
Must Have Makeup Brushes For Your Kit
Top 5 Hair Mistakes That Age You
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...