A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best Sewing/Design/Fashion Book for 12 Y.O. Novice  (Read 875 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fort_loop
« on: November 28, 2006 02:42:59 AM »

Young craftsters everywhere:  I am buying a book for my 12 y.o. niece.  She is interested in fashion, a little on the trendy side, a self-starter, and does not yet know how to sew.  Which of the available "hip" sewing/fashion/design books would be best for an adolescent who might be into de/reconstruction and sewing garments for herself?  I have looked at Sew U and Sew Subversive, but can't make up my mind.  Plus, there might be others out there that would be even more appropriate.  It mainly has to be basic and fun.

Again, she is 12, somewhat creative, not into sports, enjoys shopping, reading books and magazines and watching shows like "My Super Sweet Sixteen" on tv.  She could use a real hobby, which is why I'm hoping to introduce her to sewing and design.  Her mother is a big home-dec-type sewist (not into garments or tailoring) who I'm sure will help her along, but can't offer much in the area of clothing design or fitting.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006 02:46:14 AM by fort_loop » THIS ROCKS   Logged
x0xmanda
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006 05:54:38 PM »

well, im 15, and let me tell you there is not much out there that seems real "hip" that shows the fundamentals of sewing.
What got me into it a couple of months ago was a livejournal community (http://www.community.livejournal.com/t_shirt_surgery) in which people recon shirts. Many people give tutorials and i found the best way to learn is just to fudge it. Send her over there to see really cool and trendy clothes, and for agift you could just buy her the supplies: sewing notions, XL tee shirts, embellishments, etc. hope i helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moo!
kurtsgal
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006 04:29:37 PM »

Generation T
pretty good for teen sewers of any level
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not obsessed
I could care less
I just want to get you undressed
x0xmanda
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006 05:11:38 PM »

dude your cat is HUGE
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moo!
library_queen
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006 11:04:16 AM »

You have to travel back in time a bit.  When I was her age, I always took out the crafting books from the library, and they were all from the 1960s and 1970s.  But they were great!

I highly suggest you buy  Sew Your Own Accessories for a whopping 97 cents and check it out.  Written by a fifteen year old girl, it's a great little compendium of projects.  And it's retro!  It's so cheap, you might as well check it out, and you'll probably like it, too!

I also totally loved Of Course You Can Sew!.  It seems they've reprinted it, which makes me very happy.  I've not seen the new one, but the 1971 copies are cute.  This book helped me understand how to use patterns, which was a MAJOR breakthrough.  It also has a chapter on making a really nice-looking gathered skirt.  She could do that project early on, and at varying lengths, they never go out of style.

I am so tempted to buy these, just for old time's sake, because they were so helpful.  For a time, these books spent more time in my house than at the library!

And she might also like The Undies Book.  Also a 70s book that I discovered in a library and definitely had to purchase, it has plans to make underpants, all different types of simple bras, camisoles, slips, pyjama pants, and even one each a knitting and crocheting pattern in the back.  Maybe she's a tad young?  But it's just underwear, and sewing your own underwear is trendy now.  A lot of the things in it are easily transferred into respectable clothing.  The patterns are gridded, and it really doesn't take too long to transfer them to that lightweight gridded fabric you can get at the store.  If you give her this book, it would be thoughtful to include some gridded fabric for her.

My suggestion, then, is to browse your local library for gems both old and new, and hunt them down on Amazon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006 11:06:35 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Crafty-Divas-D-Stylebook-Creations/dp/0823069931/sr=8-4/qid=1165086321/ref=pd_bbs_4/103-0451607-9599841?ie=UTF8&s=books

I own this one and I like it alot. It's a bit too advanced for my littler girls...so she might like it alot.
It IS geared to the teen and pre-teen..even though I too enjoy it.
And she has a young daughter herself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips from a Real Dad: Easy DIY Superhero Capes For Kids
How to Make a Coffee-Filter Tree
Indoor Holiday Branch Tree
How to Select the Perfect Christmas Tree
Personalizing the Holiday Dinner Table
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...