A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
742 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to do with old encyclopedias  (Read 6529 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

I_Bleed_Hot_Glue

Edna - the ultimate DIYer

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2006 11:13:00 AM »

So, saving you guys a long boring story I am going to cut to the chase...I have an entire set of encyclopedias (plus a few random ones) that are probably about 30 years old.  Needless to say they are probably useless by way of research, but always a packrat and crafter there is a little voice in my head that is saying "these would be perfect for a craft!!!" unfortunately that is all the voice is saying.  No words of wisdom telling what kind of project i can use them for.

Does any one have any ideas about what I can do with oh about 20 encyclopedias?!?!  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hot glue makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

OoOo What I could do with this!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006 11:22:57 AM »

I got about 42 I can't get rid of either. I thought about book purses, a shelf, and thats about where I ran out of ideas. I'd like to watch this thread and see if anyone can give us BOTH inspiration. I also have an old set from the 40's but I think those are a collectors item
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty_karen1
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006 04:10:59 AM »

You could alter them, might take a while to do them all but you could alter a few and turn them into gifts for friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

OoOo What I could do with this!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006 06:00:00 AM »

Um? What do you mean by alter? Could you provide a little details please? I am so very interested in this project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahpanda
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006 06:13:46 AM »

Here's what I thought of:

-purses
-books with hidey-holes (someone on craftster turned a book into an ipod holder, it was soooo neato!)
-dolly carrying cases
-blank books
-boxes for crafty supplies
-shadowboxes

Let us know what you end up using them for, and post piccies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.c om
gmail chat: sarahpanda
Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006 06:27:43 AM »

There's this little part of my head that screams like banshee at the idea of this, but old encyclopedias are just pages upon pages of wonderful text you can plunder for ATCs, collages, shadowboxes, scrapbooking, etc.

Just cut out the relevant text and use for a background, or cut up into an appropriate shape (say... an entry on Borneo as a background for an orangutang ATC, or cut out a teapot shape from an entry about England).

And if they're illustrated, you've even got a little treasure trove of vintage photos you can use for the same thing.

Now I'm mad at my mom for throwing out our full set of Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedias from the 80s.  Grrr.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
godzilla

get back -on track

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006 06:42:48 AM »

this sounds interesting, i'm anxious to see what you choose to make.

Personally, I've always liked the hole-in-a-book idea, it's neat. With an encyclopedia you could store huge things in there. haha

Some stuff you guys might be interested in trying with all your old books:
how about candelabras??  Drill a hole into the book, big enough for a tea light or small votive candle to sit in. I'm sure you'd have to cover it with something. Could be worth trying

You could turn it into an art piece, i remember seeing somewhere (can't think of it now) the finished product was a book lying open, with all the pages from front cover to back folded in such a way there was an awesome design, i think the pages were glued some how.
I really wish i could find a picture. it was sort of 3D

Also there is another site where they take the original hard covers from old books, and make an entirely new book with new pages inside. It's really neat, they even include some of the original pages.
This way you could recycle the book, and whatever pages you don't use, you could do as Polkaroo suggested and use it for collages.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
foreversandals
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006 06:49:00 AM »

you could turn them into lamps.
http://www.hoylelamps.com/Uniq%2012-31%20book%20lamp.jpg
like that.

here they turned an old book into a picture frame:
http://fototiller.com/blog/2006/11/16/diy-book-frame/

here they turned one into a purse:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_clothing/article/0,2025,DIY_13751_4595263,00.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
ScraPerfect

Happier Printing with The Perfect Printing Pouch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006 02:55:07 AM »

Bookshelves. Screw metal "L" shelf brackets underneath and to the wall. Its nifty for...books and other interesting displays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier Printing with The Perfect Printing Pouch!
librarylass
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006 03:02:02 AM »

I remembering seeing a link on a blog long ago (I might e-mail the guys and see if they can send it to me again) where these uni students got a HEAP of books from a library disposal bin and made a bar out of it.. they didn't slice any of the books (except a few on anthropology for the bar bench) and the result was fantastic! AS you clearly don't have a thousand encyclopedias to expend.. how about a bedside table? if you are really nifty you could probably even make a nook for your other things! A coffee table would be really nice in a stack of encyclopedias, and if you wanted to go for the collage/interesting look, you could do the ATC idea and cut random shapes out pertaining to the subject.. and then either glass it over or get some heavy duty gloss. Either way, your taking photos Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a wist!
http://wists.com/Bookybabe
So I up and decided to do the whole blog thing...
http://ballysaxter.blogspot.com

I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stacy Keibler Dishes On Her Red-Carpet Style
Cozy Up in These Cute Kitschy Sweaters Right Now
Get Stars Looks For Less From Celeb Boutique
Capes No Longer For Superheroes
Prabal Gurung For Target
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...