A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm making my baby a quilt... now what?  (Read 1164 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lasandri
originator of the term "crackster", as in craftster is like crack.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2006 01:21:51 AM »

so i've been wanting to make a quilt for my baby who will be born in June, because i wanted something super special that i put a lot of time into... i'm a knitter, so i can whip out knitted stuff in less than a week, but sewing is kind of difficult for me in general (i have never quilted before and have only a vague idea where to start). so here are my questions:

1) any good baby quilt books out there? i looked on amazon, but i wasn't sure which to pick.
2) although i own a very good machine, i kinda wanted to make it more special by hand quilting it... any suggestions on books for handquilting? i am willing to machine piece it, i think, but it seems to me i have more control hand-sewing.
3) any general advice? i read the beginner's thread but just wondering about other people's experience making quilts for their own babies (or special babies in their lives Smiley )

i hope to make some sort of story quilt. perhaps one with 9 blocks showing the main theme of each month of my pregnancy Smiley i am three months along, so the first month's theme will be surprise, the second month will be morning sickness (hey, i want to be truthful! but hopefully not make it gross), the third month... hmmm i'm still thinking of that one.

thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jeannette
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006 07:27:44 AM »

Well, I'd start simple. Maybe a 9-patch (sort of a checkerboard). So each square would be 9 more squares. Maybe you could do your theme using color and pattern rather than a really elaborate illustration (which is likely to get too overwhelming as you progress in your pregnancy). The surprise could be two very bright colors. The morning sickness could be pukey colors... Just a thought.

Machine piecing a 9-patch would be pretty easy. As for hand quilting, you can make it as easy or as difficult as you like. You might check out local quilt stores as they usually have hand quilting classes for beginners. At my store, the class is about 2 hours. And it gave me a really good grasp on the rocking stitch that most quilters use. It's only improved by practice, and a baby quilt is a great place to get that.

If you need any more help or have other questions feel free to PM me. Smiley

Good Luck!!
Jeannette
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lasandri

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006 02:57:54 PM »

thank you for your help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grieney

rambunctiously soft-spoken

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006 03:07:34 PM »

I would suggest doing the backing out of flannel or fleece, so it's nice and fuzzy.  There are a lot of baby quilts out there, but I agree with the 9-patch, or try blocks with three stripes.  PS I Love You (1, 2 or 3) has good easy patterns (you can find them on Amazon).  For hand quilting, I got a quilting hoop that stands on the floor and is about 18" in circumference, which is great for watching TV.

If you really wanted to go for it, you could take pictures of your belly as it grows, and print it on iron-on transfer paper.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes, my parents know that I'm a hooker

Wist : Blog : Etsy :
hokiekate
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006 08:24:51 PM »

A good general quilting book is The Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons and Porter.  It teaches you the basics of all aspects of quilting.  You have hand and machine piecing,  hand and machine applique, hand and machine quilting, etc.  I would recommend a general quilting book over a baby quilt book if you are a beginner and if you are planning on designing your own quilt anyway.  I also recommend hitting the library and browsing through all of their quilting books for inspiration.

I understand why you want to hand quilt, but I always machine quilt my baby quilts.  Machine quilting is more durable, and if you plan on using this quilt for a baby it is going to be washed often!

Here is a link to the quilt I made for my baby when I was pregnant.  It features the nine-patch mentioned in this thread, and some hand-appliqued animals. Of course, I had been quilting for three years when I made this. If you are really devoted to learning, and have lots of time, you could do something like this.  But since it's a first project and you are pregnant, you might not want to be super ambitious.  It's up to you.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommeoh
mommeoh

"Things we cannot solve, we must survive."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006 02:21:09 PM »

Hello!

I have made quilts for all three of my babies!  I have embroidered and pieced them.  I got my son's images out of an antique coloring book - so cute!  His quilt was blue and brown.  My first daughter's quilt has sunbonnet girls embroidered on muslin blocks and then pieced together!  For the fourth child (in the next two years) I am going to make a postage stamp quilt with itty bitty squares.  It will take a while, so I am starting now!! 

I would avoid doing anything trendy, such as characters or things like that.  It will look dated eventually and hopefully you'll have it around for a long time! Also, use bright, fun colors, and use a medium hued, small print backing because it will get very "loved."  Good luck and have fun!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommeoh
mommeoh

"Things we cannot solve, we must survive."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006 02:24:22 PM »

Also!  Roll Eyes

A good way to pick out great colors for a quilt is to get a piece of clothing where you loike the color combo and take it with you as a palette!  There are so many new, cute combo's out there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lasandri

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006 05:20:20 PM »

wow you guys have great ideas! the nine block quilt seems do-able. and perhaps machine quilting is the way to go since there will be wear and tear... maybe i'll just make some color blocks rather than themed since it is my first quilt... thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply a Base Coat for a Werewolf Face
How to Apply a Prosthetic Latex Piece
Finishing the Werewolf Makeup
How to Set the Werewolf Makeup
Face Painting - Tiger Face Details
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...