A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 307,943
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what's your favourite knitting tip or trick?  (Read 78260 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ax174
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2004 07:06:28 AM »

When joining 2 balls of chenille ...

OMG that is great.  I wish I knew that before I completed my chenille afghan!  I weaved in the ends but they keep popping out, like so many worms trying to squirm out of the fabric.  It makes me want to rip the thing out and start over again.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annabianca
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2004 10:50:42 AM »

I absolutely hate weaving in all those stupid threads. So I leave them super long and use them to sew the different parts of a garment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monstergirl
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2004 06:14:10 PM »

When I cast-on for anything (or, for that matter, when I'm crocheting and start with the chain), I use my knit markers to count off the groups of sts...or else I obsessively count them several times (mostly, forgetting what number I was on halfway through and, thus, start counting ALL OVER AGAIN). This way, I count once as I cast on, then double-check as I knit my first row and remove the markers.

Oh, and I ALWAYS knit the first row. I hate knitting off my cast-ons so much, I knit the whole row then start in pattern (if there is one)...much easier for me. I haven't had any problems with patterns (yet, although at some point it will probably foil me).

I'd like to see if anyone has a hint/tip/trick to casting on and avoiding the yarn-unravelling-as-you-go thing that happens when I cast on. I use the figure-8 (or...continental?) style to cast on; I learned when I was 13 and simply canNOT learn any other way...does everyone's yarn untwist itself, or is it just me?

peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamin2
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2004 10:57:54 PM »

I'd like to see if anyone has a hint/tip/trick to casting on and avoiding the yarn-unravelling-as-you-go thing that happens when I cast on. I use the figure-8 (or...continental?) style to cast on; I learned when I was 13 and simply canNOT learn any other way...does everyone's yarn untwist itself, or is it just me?

peace
monstergirl

I like your idea to use your stitch markers so you don't keep going back and counting everything. I'm an obsessive counter so I know what you mean. I'll have to try that one time.

As to the cast on. i don't have problem with unravelling although I don't think I've ever use the method you describe. And I know you say you can't learn another way, but this one I'm going to mention is super easy and doesn't unravel. It was the one I was taught as a kid, and since it's just making a knit stitch you shouldn't have a problem with it. You make your loop and stick the needles in and knit a stitch but instead of leaving it on the right needle, put the new loop you've created on your left needle and then knit that one and put that new loop on the left needle too. Here's an example: http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/knitting/stitch_pages/kn_cast_on.html

You can also do a crochet cast on, and since you mentioned you crochet that one shouldn't be a problem either. this uses a needle and a crochet hook.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2004 04:26:42 PM »

yay for obsessive counters! i thought i was the only one! i do the stitch marker thing too, sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
subloke
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2004 05:32:02 PM »

another obsessive counter here!  I have to turn off all outside distraction when I'm casting on, then I STILL count several times before I start to knit and then, usually, after I've knit a couple of rows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
monstergirl
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2004 08:56:09 AM »

Oh, one more 'trick' I didn't think of (but the boy's mom told me it was great when I mentioned it this a.m. on the train): when I'm working with DPNs, and am afraid that the stitches will slip off the needle(s) (the one's I'm not knitting on at the moment), I put a rubber band or hair elastic around the ends of DPNs, kinda like a figure 8, and !voila! my stitches are held firmly in the center of the needle.

BTW, I've tried the knit-into-the-last-stitch cast on, and I think I'm doing something wrong; my sts look like they're trying to 'cross over' one another. I mean, normal cast on, my sts look like: ///////. Now, they look like: //\///\/\//. I'm just knitting and putting the new st on the left needle. ??

peace
mg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2004 09:45:56 AM »

I use markers too!  I use blue for my own personal counting and then a red marker for any actual markers called for in the pattern.  Glad I am not the only one.........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreamin2
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2004 01:37:16 AM »

Oh, one more 'trick' I didn't think of (but the boy's mom told me it was great when I mentioned it this a.m. on the train): when I'm working with DPNs, and am afraid that the stitches will slip off the needle(s) (the one's I'm not knitting on at the moment), I put a rubber band or hair elastic around the ends of DPNs, kinda like a figure 8, and !voila! my stitches are held firmly in the center of the needle.

BTW, I've tried the knit-into-the-last-stitch cast on, and I think I'm doing something wrong; my sts look like they're trying to 'cross over' one another. I mean, normal cast on, my sts look like: ///////. Now, they look like: //\///\/\//. I'm just knitting and putting the new st on the left needle. ??

peace
mg

I do that too with my dpns. I have these little tiny elastics that work great for it. I'm such a loose knitter so it's always a concern that they might slip off.

As for the knit cast on. Yeah all you are doing is putting the knit stitch you made on the left needle. I don't know if you're necessarily doing it wrong. Sometimes they do seem to get a little close to each other and I know my last two stitches always look like they're about to cross each other. Did you look at that stitch guide video, it has a good shot of it. http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/knitting/stitch_pages/kn_cast_on.html

I'd suggest just completing a cast on row and then knitting a row and see how it looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chirel
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2004 02:28:12 AM »

My first post on Craftster  Smiley. (And I'm not sure of all the knitting terminology in english.)

My tip: when working with DPNs my stiches tend to be loose where I change from one needle to another. This results in an visible column of loose stiches and I hate that. My solution to this is simple. After I've knitted all the stiches from one needle I continue knitting one or two stiches from the next one with the full needle (I set the empty needle aside for a while). This way the place where I change from one needle to another varies from row to row (is that the right word?) and the stiches stay even.

I'm not sure how this would work with a complicated pattern where you need to count the stiches but it works fine with for example k2p2.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book
A Little Birdie Told Me

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...