A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cheap living in Portland?  (Read 2427 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Funiono
« on: November 26, 2006 03:38:41 PM »

Hey this isnt really crafty-related but I am moving to Portland for school in about a month and wanted a cheap downtown studio, and cheap meaning up to like $650, I was just wondering if any of you knew of anywhere I could look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tantrum
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006 01:09:32 PM »

I've always found craigslist to be the best place to find rental properties. portland.craigslist.org
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength"
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006 08:30:01 PM »

i've always had good luck in the 1.5 years i've lived in portland with american property management.  they've got lots of places on the east side, donno about downtown.

is there a specific reason you're interested in downtown?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
vixenmeowmeow
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006 07:43:18 AM »

Craigslist is good. Or look in the Willamette Week. But you better hurry, before all the apt.'s are bought out and made into condos! Wink haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I crave to die with my hand at the spinning wheel."---Gandhi

My Blog:
Spindelicious Handspun
http://www.spindelicioushandspun.blogspot.com

My Etsy shop...Spindelicious Handspun
http://www.spindelicious.etsy.com
Funiono
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006 01:58:44 AM »

is there a specific reason you're interested in downtown?
i'm starting at western culinary and i wanna live downtown but im not sure if i can afford it with the extra cost of parking my car (im stuck with no where else to put it).  Ive got a few places in mind and my advisor found a cheap temp place for me thats on the east side for now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnieDanko
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006 08:09:32 AM »

you might look into NW/Nob Hill instead of downtown. It's only about a 15-20 minute walk to downtown (or a 10 minute streetcar ride!), and it's a pretty cute neighborhood with lots of restaurants, bars, and shops. I rent a one-bedroom there for $605. I just walked around and wrote down all the phone numbers on the apartment buildings and starting calling until I found one available. If you use craigslist, be sure to check really often and call as soon as it's posted, because they go really fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Funiono
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006 02:39:39 PM »

^ that's sorta what i am planning on doing now that i have a temp place to stay. I've read that it's a lot easier to find a place once you're there, so I'm just gonna go around and look once I'm actually up there. Thanks for all the help though everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catpants

viva la hamsterpants! may he rest in peace.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006 03:20:46 PM »

Hey this isnt really crafty-related but I am moving to Portland for school in about a month and wanted a cheap downtown studio, and cheap meaning up to like $650, I was just wondering if any of you knew of anywhere I could look.

if cheap to you is under $650 and all you're looking for is a studio, i'd say you have a good chance of finding a place!  you could probably get a one-bedroom for that price downtown, and in other areas (esp. the eastside) you could get a nice two-bedroom for that price Wink  heck, in some parts of northeast you can rent a small house for $650  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MopTopStumptown
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006 07:04:44 PM »

i used to work at WCI, which program are you doing?  fyi, you'll be find living anywhere in portland that has a direct bus/lightrail/streetcar route through downtown.  check the map on www.trimet.org .  i lived in SE pdx and would ride my bike to campus (secure bike parking in the basement of the building) during sunny days (15 minute ride mostly along the waterfront) or would ride the bus (15 minutes + whatever waiting was necessary). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

untoherselfalone
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006 06:35:10 AM »

Yea--650 will b fine for portland. you will have choices for that price which is more than i can say for most cities. Smiley Again, the buses are super useful so you can easily commute to downtown. I come in from SE and it is one 20 min. bus ride. GOOD LUCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funiono
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006 09:48:54 PM »

I know how great the bus system is in Portland but I just kinda wanted to live right in downtown, the place I'm getting for now is like a quad and it's up in north portland. I'm now actually leaning towards moving into beaverton or just getting a room if i dont like where I'm gonna be living so that I can at least get free parking. My husband is planning on going to WCI too when he moves up to portland in about a year so I think i'm just gonna wait to live downtown until then.

And I'm gonna be doing the Culinary Arts Associate, and i have to say that the people who work at WCI are some of the nicest and most helpful people i have ever had to work with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006 08:38:04 AM »

I know how great the bus system is in Portland but I just kinda wanted to live right in downtown, the place I'm getting for now is like a quad and it's up in north portland. I'm now actually leaning towards moving into beaverton or just getting a room if i dont like where I'm gonna be living so that I can at least get free parking. My husband is planning on going to WCI too when he moves up to portland in about a year so I think i'm just gonna wait to live downtown until then.

And I'm gonna be doing the Culinary Arts Associate, and i have to say that the people who work at WCI are some of the nicest and most helpful people i have ever had to work with!

you're going to have some fabulous chefs to work with in that program.  be sure to take advantage of the student clubs while you're there. it's only 14 months so spend as much time on campus and in the kitchens as possible.  who's your admissions rep?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funiono
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007 02:55:34 AM »

Marty. She's amazing, she's helped me find a place and made sure everything is going as smoothly as possible. And i have been looking into the different clubs on the website and looking into which ones sound good. I'm getting so excited to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007 11:33:58 AM »

Marty. She's amazing, she's helped me find a place and made sure everything is going as smoothly as possible. And i have been looking into the different clubs on the website and looking into which ones sound good. I'm getting so excited to start.

lucky you, marty is an absolute sweetheart!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pull Off the Perfect New Year’s Eve Makeup Look
How to Wear Makeup on New Year’s Eve
Urban Decay Naked Palette Eye Makeup Tutorial
Night Time Winter Makeup Tutorial
10 Quick Tips to Keep Your Make-Up Germ Free
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...