A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 311,409
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Project Runway...again  (Read 2224 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stilts
« on: November 26, 2006 02:45:04 AM »

So. I couldn't find a photo of it, but hopefully you guys will get what I'm talking about.

In the second? episode of Project Runway 3 - the one where they had to design a dress for Miss USA - Uli made this really pretty dress. I didn't actually look that closely, but the skirt basically appeared to be one colour, and then when the model walked it was all whooshy, and fabric of a different colour came in between the panels of the skirt.

So, my question is, how can one go about making this kind of skirt? I was thinking of doing two skirts, made out of four (bias-cut) half-circles each, and instead of sewing the half-circles together on the top skirt, just pressing the seams in and sewing them so the underneath skirt could come through.

Also, I want to make one in two layers of, I think it's chiffon? or something similar, whatever it is that's sheer-but-not-too-sheer, with a nice simple straight skirt - maybe made from jersey - underneath for coverage purposes. Would this effect the whooshyness of the skirt at all, or should I just do the second/underneath skirt in the jersey (ie having two skirts instead of three)

Thanks Cheesy and sorry if I didn't make sense.

Edit: I've been thinking about it, and chiffon/sheers'd probably turn out moir-pattern-y, so I'm thinking more about a lightweight, silky fabric, if that changes anything, haha.Or maybe two layers of nice jersey?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006 02:55:44 AM by stilts » THIS ROCKS   Logged
m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006 01:28:23 PM »

this is the only photo i can find...unfortunately it doesn't show the skirt well

http://projectrunway.auction.seenon.com/images/au/Uli_Bonnie302.jpg
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011 03:36:52 PM by photojenn - Reason: hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
jemmy
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006 07:07:04 PM »

Here's a link to a bigger picture of the dress:

Sparklies site

It shows a little more detail but it would help to see the dress in motion again.  I like the idea of lightweight silk.  I think a jersey wouldn't look right.  I love the colors Uli used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stilts
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006 08:59:07 PM »

Ooh, thanks for the pictures.

Jersey has a nice drape to it, but I get the feeling it'd distort under its own weight =/, as well as not quite looking right.

There's this fabric, it's a lining fabric, sold as Bemsilk? (at least, it is around here) - I think it's acetate - it's very light and it has a silkiness about it, so I might try that. It's just very slightly transparent, so I might have to put a skirt underneath after all...and I don't think it comes printed (I kinda wanted the underneath to be stripy), but hey, you can't win them all, right?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jemmy
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006 08:20:30 AM »

The Bemsilk sounds like it will be very pretty.  I can't wait to see pictures of your dress when it is finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006 05:40:51 PM »

You could use a thin polyester and it would work just as well - especially if you wanted the under layers to have a pattern on them.

It does look like circle skirts - cut floor length and left open at the front - the top layer is open all the way to below the bust, the under layers (of which there seem to be 4) are open less and less - but enough to allow the layer below that to be seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
impchild
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006 07:10:57 PM »

it looks to me like they are bias cut skirts.  i don't think they are circle skirts but rather a-line...
you could use this as a basis
with a couple of layers of skirts with varying heights of center slits or this one
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011 03:37:14 PM by photojenn - Reason: removed broken images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

momma to a 5yo drama king
ISO: purple/black/green yarn scraps (2yds or more), vintage hankies and a single fire opal bead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Our Best Beauty Secrets: Make Your Skin Glow With Vaseline
How to Get a Layered Curves Manicure
Chescalocs Explains How to Maintain Your Hair After Exercising
How Kim Kardashian Instantly and Controversially Slims Her Waist
4 Most Common Beauty Blunders and How to Fix Them
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...