A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advice/Tips for newbies to the sewing world?  (Read 3074 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

paroper
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2006 12:46:17 AM »

You can usually find the cord in the drapery section.  It is cheap.  There is certainly nothing wrong with making it from fabric.  I usually tie a knot in the end of fabric when I turn it because it is so much easier than making the ends blunt.  Besides, they aren't as likely to slip through with a knot on the end. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junipernest
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2006 11:17:12 PM »

Make friends with a seam ripper - find one that you really like and buy several because no matter how experienced you become, everyone always makes mistakes.

LMAO! That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread!

But also remember to respect the seam ripper.  I can't count how many times I was ripping, ripping... ripped right through the fabric.

Tip related to that:  until you are used to the ripper, cut through the threads while the fabrics are flat, just nipping the ---.  Resist the urge to cut between the two pices of fabric, even though it seems quicker, because that's how I usually cut the fabric (or myself).

What else?... I second the good thread comment.  I like Gutermann, myself. I also like to take a little piece of fabric with me when I'm buying the thread because sometimes your memory of the color is a little unreliable.  And make sure you get enough!

Ditto for good needles, in the right sizes.  Read the package label for descriptions of what types of fabric they are for.  Sharp for woven, ballpoint for knits.  Littler number=littler needle=finer weave (or knit) material.  Don't try to sew chiffon with a denim needle or vice versa.  Heartbreak will ensue.

Nice pattern companies for beginners in my opinion are Burda and Kwik-Sew.    I liked the instructions and how they didn't assume that I just knew how to "ease in" or "french seam" or whatever, and the illustrations made the instructions make more sense.  Also for whatever reason, the clothes always fit better.  After a while, you will figure out what companies make things that fit you the way you like.

Make sure you have an iron handy when sewing.  When you finish a seam or turn something or sew a curve, you usually need to press it afterward so that it's shaped right, otherwise it'll be puckery or otherwise weird.  I used to try to sew everything together and then just press it out at the end of the project... doesn't work right.

Only other big thing I can think of right now is: don't sew angry.  Well, you can be angry at school or your job or your family, etc., sewing's good to get your mind off that!  But don't sew angry at your project.  Every time I'm mad at a project (and you will be!  Smiley),  if I keep working on it just then it all goes kerflooey.  Take a break and come back later, and in my experience, you'll end up with a much nicer product at the end.

Good luck!  You have so much cool stuff ahead of you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gingembre
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2006 08:37:42 AM »

I am also a beginning sewer - the comment about grainlines was particularly interesting, though I think I need to reread it 8 or 10 times LOL! What I did that helped with my first project was a) use a cotton print to make b) a simple skirt (with ruffle! Smiley) and c) have friends that knew how to insert the bobbin and get the thread up (pretty important since I'd never used a sewing machine before and had gotten one that did not have a manual!!) I think it came out fairly well Cheesy so I am happy: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=134138.msg1316746#msg1316746

OH! And I *love* my rotary cutters - got them my amazing dollar store and they make cutting fabric soooooo easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LJ
MySpace
Swap Partner Info
Just started a wist: (coming soon)

***Personal Swap Friendly!***
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playing Darts - Keeping Score
Playing Darts - Game Etiquette
Playing Darts - Counting and Around the World
Playing Darts - Burma Road
Playing Darts - 27 and 28
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...