A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: piggy tail hat (modified again, now with earflaps!!)  (Read 3732 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 25, 2006 09:16:32 AM »

I'll put the update here so you won't have to scroll down for it:
So what do you do when your kid won't keep the hat that you so lovingly made for her on her head.  You tie it on!!!

The new(ish) and improved piggytail hat:

bwa ha ha ha!  Now she'll keep it on for more than 5 sec... Man, it's hard to outwit a 2 year old... Wink

Okay, the hat itself doesn't have piggy tails, but it does have spots where you can stick your piggy tails through. 

This is dot v.1.  She has the craziest, wiliest, knotiest hair in the world.  (probably not true, but it seems like it  Wink) It is a daily struggle to comb her hair.  So when I am finally able to get it into piggy tails, I'm not taking them out for anything, especially not to put a hat on to go out side.  Thus the birth of the piggy tail hat. 
I thought about leaving a hole on the top for a pony tail to come through, but that seemed like a little much for one hat.  Perhaps another day. 
I thought about making embellishments for the hat, but the yarn is pretty busy on it's own.  It's Lion Brand, prints, 100% wool, knit on size 4 dpns, stockinette stitch with two buttonholes where the piggy tails come through. 
What do you think fellow crafsters?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006 12:51:07 PM by wobblerat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rascalrose
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006 09:30:34 AM »

All together now ... Awww!  What a great idea!  The hat is adorable and so is your daughter ... I bet there's a market for hats like that.  If you make the ponytail one, please share a picture too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute_anarchy
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006 10:25:37 AM »

Such a cute little girl!  And a really great hat - good idea!

She reminds me so much of my little sister... Oh the fights about combing her hair!!!!  We used to say that (mean) little poem about her: "There was a little girl, she had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead.  When she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad she was horrid!"   Shocked

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006 01:25:59 PM »

Quote from: cute_anarchy Oh the fights about combing her hair!!!! 
[/quote

Glad to know someone can have empathy about the hair!  It really is a daily wrestling match, wailing and gnashing of teeth, and then she curses me in that primitive baby language of hers (shes 2.5) terrifying, really.  People say "oh, I wish my baby had hair like that."  No, you don't.  Now dot v.2 has the same hair. oh dear, oh dear.  at least she doesn't have as much.  yet. 

Thanks for the compliments cute_anarchy and rascalrose!  they are much appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006 06:44:08 PM by wobblerat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soobeeoz
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006 01:35:28 PM »

Great idea, and I love your yarn choice!  Your daughter is a cutey.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please feel free to check out my Dating and Tiffany Ring blogs.  A few more are listed on my profile page.  Smiley

http://www.safedatings.com

http://www.cheapweddingringssets.com
laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006 08:02:17 PM »

sweet, and a great idea.

I've seen kids with dreadlocks use a hat like that. only they call them panty hats. yeah, erm, maybe you shouldn't tell her that....

I too spent many a day with pigtails. My mom would comb out one side, braid it, then comb out the other side and braid it. something diffrent with out messing up the pigtail part!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006 08:08:25 PM »

panty hats Huh.... I...  guess.. that.. makes.. sense.. one could make them from panties if one were so inclined.  I would just be happy to get her to wear real panties on her tushy!!

I've tried braiding, but she doesn't stay still but for a split second at a time.  even bribing doesn't work.  Here's a pic of her in her natural state
it's chaos I tells ya!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006 10:10:01 PM »

Your daughter is very cute...and her hair looks like a longer version of my 23 month olds.  I will have to remember this idea when I finally get around to learning to knit

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
MinxInTeaAge
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006 07:17:51 AM »

It's slightly frightening how similar her hair is to how my hair was/still is.  My mother and I would fight every single morning over brushing it.
I really don't know what else I could suggest that you probably don't already know.  (brush it while it's still wet, use a good (no-tears) conditioner, ooh and Johnson and Johnson "No More Tangles" spray was a godsend (http://www.drugstore.com/qxp14462_333181_sespider/johnsons/no_more_tangles_spray_on_detangler.htm)...as I recall it smells yummy, too!)  but...I had to comment ^^ curly hair is sometimes such a blessing, and I always get the "omg I wish my hair could do that!" but overall it's kind of a pain!

I like that hat idea, though.  Very clever and cute!  I'll have to keep it in mind in case my (theoretical) children inherit the impossible-to-deal-with curly hair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

to being an "us", for once, instead of a "them"
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006 08:02:16 AM »

Cute hat, cuter kid!  The colors suit her perfectly!

Not to go too far off topic, but get your hands on some Ouidad products, especially the Botanical Boost.  It works wonders!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get Red Carpet Dresses
How To Dress Up For a Big Night Out
Celebrities Reveal Their Fashion Tips
Must Have Solutions to Look Chic in the Rain!
Featured Blogger: Jenny Wu of Good, Bad and Fab
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...