A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any ideas how to make Homemade Liqueurs?  (Read 1971 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MaryLeeZA
« on: November 25, 2006 09:16:04 AM »

I was thinking of making homemade liqueurs for family and friends, but I don't know where start!  Where to get bottles and recipes, for example.  Has anyone made these before or have ideas on how to present them?  With recipe ideas?  Shot glasses? I'm VERY new to craftster and I hope I'm doing this right!  Thanks a bunch.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006 01:29:14 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TreatyofParis
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006 09:33:29 AM »

I tried some recipes for homemade liqueurs from the Winter '04 issue of ReadyMade a few years back. Unfortunately, the actual recipes are not included in their archives section, but they do have the issue (#9) available for to order in the back issues section. I would recommend the coffee liqueur for sure, but not the absinthe so much. Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006 09:36:24 AM by TreatyofParis » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006 09:59:50 AM »

For the actual 'brewing', good old fashioned Mason jars are good -- you can sterilize them with boiling water without fear of damage. Plus you generally have to shake up the liquid to keep things distributed, and you don't want stuff flying out.

As for the bottles you Give your liqueurs in, I have really good luck at consignment shops and Goodwill.  Just check that the stoppers are sound and clean them really well.

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
la_petite_moi

NOMNOMNOM DING ZIP! :3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006 10:16:09 AM »

They sell nice serving bottle containers at most home-y stores.  To actually make the stuff, get a huge jar (something you'd make sun tea in), fill it with your choice of whole fruit (orange or cherry make good fruit cordials), add a generous amount of sugar (few cups) and then pour a very, very good vodka or Everclear over all the fruit.  Let sit for a long time (a month minimum), and stir every other day or so.  To present, funnel the liquid into the bottles you purchased.  Decourate the bottles if you want, or even add one of the cherries or a slice of orange peel into the liquid as "decouration."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006 11:16:59 AM »

Yep Yep... I'm doing this for a bunch of my friends!

I'm using canning jars for the actual infusing of it, but have yet to find nice jars for giving (I also intend to make custom etched glass "labels" on those, depending on the bottles I get). I'm making "Limoncello". 

Here's a few sites I've been checking out:
http://www.liqueurweb.com/index.htm
http://www.infused-vodka.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=17
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Homemade-Liqueurs/Detail.aspx

Some of these seem to have contradictory time limits and things, but I'm combining and doing what I think is best!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MopTopStumptown
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006 11:44:07 AM »

most homebrew and home winemaking supply stores (check yellowpages or google for local spots) have a good selection of bottles, stoppers, ingredients, ideas.  most people who work for a shop like that will probably have already tried doing home liqueur and might have some good tips.

i've always had good luck with ginger infused vodka. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006 03:36:00 PM »

Ooooo! Recipe??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
MsMia

Christmas, Fall, and Winter Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006 12:44:17 PM »

Ooooo! Recipe??

Here is one I found:

Ginger liqueur
cup Crystalized ginger
2 cup Vodka
cup Sugar syrup (see recipe)

Add all ingredients together. Steep for 2 weeks. Strain and its ready to serve. This liqueur has a real zing to it and will be enjoyed by a true ginger lover. Makes a unique addition to meat and poultry marinades. Yield: 1 pint plus Container: Quart jar

Sugar syrup

Yield: 8 cups
6 cup Sugar
6 cup Water

Place sugar and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Can be used immediately or stored indefinitely when refrigerated in a covered container. (Sugar syrup is convenient to have on hand for sorbets and certain mixed cocktails.) Makes 7 1/2 cups. Per cup: 616 calories, no fat, no cholesterol.

http://astray.com/recipes/?show=Ginger%20liqueur
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006 12:47:06 PM by MsMia » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006 04:37:17 PM »

*laughing*  that's so much more technical than what i do! 

get a bottle of quality vodka (no plastic jugs).  pour our a few shots (into white russian, preferrably) making some room in the bottle.  grab some fresh ginger, make 5-10 long spears (make sure no skin is on it) and throw 'em into the bottle.  every night while brushing your teeth, shake the bottle around.  keep it in a dark, cool place. give it a taste after a week and either take out the ginger or keep it in for longer depending on your taste. 

but that's just an infusion, not really a liqueur if you're being particular. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CaroDIYnamite

You will? Oh, okay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006 08:21:40 PM »

I have two recepies, one for Rum Cream and the other for Bailey's. They are very good and shockingly strong.

Rum Cream

2 Cups Rum
1 Can Sweet Milk
1 Cup Whipping Cream
4 Eggs
2 T choc syrup
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp vanilla

Just mix together and put in a cute bottle. Refigerate and use within 30 days.

Bailey's (Irish Cream)

1 can sweet milk
2 eggs
3 T choc syrup
1/2 or 5th to 5th wiskey/brandy

Same directions as above.

Hope these help someone  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Southwest Baked Beans
Oven Pulled Pork Recipe
Potato Waffle Benedict
How to Make Skirt Steak
Tailgating Food 101
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...