A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why are you Vegetarian/Vegan?  (Read 47128 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ladyleopard
« Reply #330 on: April 05, 2013 08:54:31 AM »

I became a pescatarian so I still partake in the sweet sweet flesh of fish everyone once in a while, eggs, and dairy. I grew up eating meat. When my father was home my mother would prepare meat dishes. When it was just my mother and I we would eat a very limited amount of meat; if any. She has never been a huge meat eater, and neither was I.

Last year in June my SO and I took a trip to Disneyland and stayed at his friend's in L.A. the night before. I was so excited I decided to get buzzed on the way down. I took a turkey sandwhich with me, left it in the car too long and tried to eat it. Drinking+plus warm meat= Sick as a dog.

Long story short I got extremley sick, drove around all night looking for a non-shady hospital; because I became so ill. I ended up pulling myself together the next morning and still making it to Disneyland. I would try to eat meat here and there for the next couple of weeks following this incident; but every time I did I felt sick to my stomach. I kept trying, and trying, and trying; until I realiezed eating meat just wasn't for me anymore. I was not very excited to jump into a vegetarian lifestyle at first because I didn't know what to cook for my spouse and I. He was very supportive, and always willing to try my latest veggie dish. I've been able to master quite a few dishes, and there are some veg. dishes I make he says he loves way more than the meat version.  It will be almost a year since I stopped eating meat (aside from fish). I love my animal friend's and don't mind that other people choose to eat them. I just wish the meat industry would treat our fellow animals with more respect and more humanely. No animal should have to suffer in horrible living conditions as well as being treated without respect when it comes time to slaughter said animal. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ladyleopard
« Reply #331 on: April 05, 2013 08:59:19 AM »

Let me add changing to a pescatarian lifestyle has had many benefits. I hardly ever catch a cold/get sick, I feel full but not weighed down after eating, it's easier for ME to keep my body looking rockin because I'm not feeding it a bunch of junk. Granted being a vegetarian IS expensive, because I constantly have to drive to the store for fresh this or that, and veggies are not cheap nor is fruit, plus the cost of gas. I've honestly become so much more open-minded about cuisine since the switch because your constantly trying to invent new dishes. Indian food has become a staple cuisine in our home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: April 12, 2013 05:23:37 AM »

I've been a vegetarian for almost two weeks now - which isn't a long time, but I haven't found it difficult at all, so that's something.  I'm aiming for going vegan, but I know myself well enough that if I go for the whole thing before I'm adjusted, I'll probably fall off the wagon.  Baby steps! 

What spurred me to make the change (though I didn't eat a lot of red meat anyway) was hearing about the health benefits, and then watching a few documentaries - first Forks over Knives, and then Vegucated, which made it impossible for me NOT to do it. 

I'm also reading Main Street Vegan by Victoria Moran right now, which is really interesting, too, and has some great-sounding recipes. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
imbettinonalice

Zydrate comes in a little glass vile...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #333 on: April 20, 2014 11:21:23 PM »

What spurred me to make the change (though I didn't eat a lot of red meat anyway) was hearing about the health benefits, and then watching a few documentaries - first Forks over Knives, and then Vegucated, which made it impossible for me NOT to do it. 

I'm also reading Main Street Vegan by Victoria Moran right now, which is really interesting, too, and has some great-sounding recipes. Smiley

You sound like me. I loved that book! Another great one is The Kind Life by Alicia Sylverstone.

I've always been a big foodie, but was never a huge fan of meat. I never liked anything but cheese on my pizza since I could eat pizza and I had to be in the mood for a steak. I've been officially vegetarian since this past January, but it's really been happening for some time. It all started when I watched "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"...and then bought my first juicer the next day. I also began incorporating green smoothies in my daily life. I found a 30 day challenge that sent a new recipe every day and loved it. I then too part in a 14 raw food reset and although it was challenging, I felt amazing!

I'm a documentary junkie when it comes to Netflix, so once I saw Fat, Sick and Near,y Dead, I ended up watching the rest. My journey began for health, but as an animal lover, the animal cruelty factor was inevitable. I would love to be vegan one day and I eat 99% vegan at he. My struggle is that I live in a very small town full of franchise restaraunts and steakhouses. It's almost impossible to eat out and be vegan. Baby steps and one day at a time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ohmigoodness, Ohmigoodness!"- Man V. Food

"This is serious, Dean! The voice is telling me that I'm almost out of minutes!"- Castiel, 'Supernatural'
www.twloha.org
Tricky Ginger
« Reply #334 on: May 08, 2014 09:08:06 AM »

Ahoy fellow veggies!

When I was a kid I was "picky" and would get in trouble for not eating meat. Sometimes it was okay but others... no go. Any veggies- yum! My dad's a great cook and I always loved things other kids hated like spinach and brussels sprouts. I'd often cut the meat up into microscopic pieces and try to hide it in the bread and veggies. My mom thought the skin on fried chicken was delicacy so I'd hand it over gladly. 

I remember petting our cats and thinking somebody could cut them up and turn them into dinner- it just grossed me out to eat an animal. And I never liked fish (unless you count canned tuna and fish and chips). I cried on my one fishing expedition and plopped him right back in the water.

Around 18 I asked my dad not to cook me any meat cause I didn't want to hurt his feelings. I thought it was a phase but it took and it's been over 20 years now.

Funny how people say I'm so "good and strong" for giving up meat when it just grosses me out. I never judge other people for eating it and try every now and again to cook something for my boyfriend (like Guinness beef stew for st. paddys).  

I'm pretty lucky to be in LA where veggie options abound, other places in the country I'm a freak and France? forget it!) although the ubiquitous options get pretty stale. Why do they ALWAYS have a bellpepper, eggplant, mushroom dish? the ONLY veggies I don't like! I just realized my dad never cooked those growing up so maybe that's why I don't like them??

I've found some pretty good subs for things I miss like meatballs and tuna sandwiches but miss being able to order in a restaurant. Oh well- the payoff is way worth it.

I missed these for years and was thrilled to finally have them back so maybe a veggie out there could use these:
Here's the meatball recipe- I sautee onions and garlic rather than use the soup mix and don't bother with the second phase (baking in broth), just plop them in sauce for 15 mins. I also use different cheese and like a mix of mozzarella, queso fresco, parmesan. Even my carnivore boyfriend loves these.
http://www.food.com/recipe/vegetarian-quot-meatballs-quot-11028

For "tuna"- you just mash up garbanzos and treat like tuna- add mayo, lemon, dill whatever. It's not a dupe of course but a nice substitute.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014 09:21:08 AM by Tricky Ginger » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Handmade Redhead
« Reply #335 on: July 07, 2014 07:51:53 PM »

I feel a little out of place.  I love meat.  Beef, pork, turkey, chicken, but...it doesnt like me.  If I eat red meat, I feel like I have a rock in my stomach for 3-4 days afterwards. Poultry only lasts for a day or two.  It is no way to live feeling that awful all the time, so I stopped eating meat last September.  I have way less stomach problems now and feel much better.  So it is more of a personal health choice than a social statement or anything for me.  My husband is a vegetarian 95% of the time now because he eats what I cook. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Peanut Butter Fudge
How to Make Hen Party Cupcakes in a Jar Recipe
How to Make a Date Loaf
How to Make Pistachio Ice Cream
Pumpkin Bread Pudding Recipe with Dulce De Leche
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...