A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why are you Vegetarian/Vegan?  (Read 47678 times)
Tags for this thread: vegetarian , vegan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

adrienne_bowers
« Reply #300 on: October 25, 2010 02:45:12 PM »

I became vegetarian last year after lots of stomach issues and I am an animal lover.   It has been a learning experience for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annieandchiquita
Crafting Addict; no speciality

Darn picture :(

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 26, 2010 08:58:01 PM »

I've formulated my philosophy that tends to shut up hunters and fishers... I think that if you can't kill it, you have no business eating it.  I can't kill anything, so therefore I don't eat it. If you can, then I'm going to leave you alone at least until I have abolished factory farming. Smiley

Oh man... you have no idea of how this affected me. I read it last night (its now 2.52pm in Australia), after dinner and skipped brekkie this morning. Put it aside, as an omni at the moment but dairy and soy free for my little girl who I breastfeed (she's got intolerances Sad) so I'm kind of waiting till I either wean or her intolerances ease up a bit to see if I can commit to being a vegetarian, but far out. I was eating my sushi with my fiance and kids thinking to myself "could I kill a prawn?", "what about a chicken". I can't eat fish now. Well at least and think about it Sad I at very least can't eliminate meat till next week, or in a healthy way - gotta wait till we get paid again :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wifey
Mama
Crafter Cheesy

Currently swapping -
Back to Hogwarts: Sent!

Breathless Waiting for Breaking Dawn: Planning, purchasing and crafting Cheesy Not a minute too late, right? Such a last minute crafter...
Gingers Person
« Reply #302 on: November 08, 2010 02:32:25 PM »

I've been turned off from meat ever since my brother told me where hot dogs come from. It was a defining moment in my life; however, my mom still made me eat meat. My mother finally gave up trying to make me eat meat when I was 12.  I've been a vegetarian ever since.   I don't find it difficult to be a vegetarian. It really is a habit now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PNCTink
« Reply #303 on: December 16, 2010 01:34:48 PM »

I've only read the first post so far.  Grin I've been vegan for about three weeks now. I have had a couple of pieces of regular chocolate from my advent calendar, but that's the only deviation. I changed my diet because of pancreatic issues I've been having, but I have found I really enjoy the change. It wasn't as difficult for me as I thought it would be (I really do like the taste of most meats) because I've found alternative ways to make some of my favorite meals. I'm now trying to slowly change the diets of my children, and DH has even liked a few of the meals I've made (as long as I don't tell him what's in them).  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nicole

Former lurker coming out of hiding and just finished my first swap!
Artanis
« Reply #304 on: March 08, 2011 12:39:31 AM »

I've been a Vegetarian since January 1, 2009 because I felt sorry for the animals and decided I had no right to use them that way. Just a childish impulse I suppose, but now I can't stand the smell of meat because it reminds me of blood and slaughter. I'm a dedicated Animal Rights Activist now. (And I don't care what other people think about my beliefs so NO disencouraging talk. I'm only fourteen)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JustNaz9

I hope there's pudding...<3

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 20, 2011 08:38:23 AM »

I've been eating vegetarian since I was 14 (that would have been 2004) but I'm in the same boat as most of you. I've never really liked the taste or texture or IDEA of meat. I mostly stuck to poultry until I decided to just not eat animals. I grew up on a farm so it was always pretty difficult to go feed Lucy the Cow and then come back and eat a hamburger.  Wink

At first, my parents thought it was just a phase and didn't really cook for me, so I learned to cook for myself and that's probably the best thing they could have done for me. At first I think I lived on PB&J, mac and cheese, and salad, but after a while I started getting more adventerous with my kitchen experiments and now all my food is colorful and tastes divine.

Of course, I still get made fun of, but it's all in good fun. For example, last night my mom said: "Are you going to make yourself something or would you prefer to go graze in the field?"   Cheesy I laughed...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You cut up a thing that's alive and beautiful to find out how it's alive and why it's beautiful, and before you know it, it's neither of those things, and you're standing there with blood on your face and tears in your sight and only the terrible ache of guilt to show for it."
Clive Barker
medolfan
« Reply #306 on: April 07, 2011 05:38:10 AM »

I came to vegetarianism late in life when I finally decided to stop being a hypocrit.  I always said that I supported animal rights, even contributed to charities and attended a rally or two, but then I would stop by Mickie D's on my way home and wolf down a cowburger or two.  On December 28, 2005 I decided, for my New Year's resolution, that I would stop consuming other sentient beings.  The thing about that decision was, once I made it, I couldn't wait until New Year's Day...how could I justify my actions to the animals I would be responsible for killing over the next 3 days?  So I quit! 

It took awhile to learn all the tricky ways manufacturers have of slipping animal parts into seemingly innocuous foods...and with the FDA having a minimum acceptible limit of rat parts in all food anyways, I came up with a prayer that I say before every meal in hopes that I may be absolved of guilt for unknowingly participating in the slaughter of another helpless creature:

"I apologize to the souls of any animals that may have given up their lives to sustain mine.  I appreciate your sacrifice and pray for your forgiveness."

I am not overly religious but I do believe that every living being with a brain stem is aware of its own existence and has a soul.  I just hope the countless beings that I share responsibility for murdering over the first 42 years of my life can forgive me for my heinous acts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ZoeyQ
« Reply #307 on: June 15, 2011 03:44:58 PM »

Because:

Factory farming or as we call it bio-industrie in Dutch, makes me so sad. It's barbaric in every way possible!
I love animals and all their funny manners, every animal has his own personality.
I'm not able to kill an animal myself, never ever. Even insects I rather catch and throw outside then flatten them with a newspaper.

Just look at the tenderness in this pic! I'm proud I don't eat them  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Made possible by sheep!
Green Gypsy
« Reply #308 on: September 05, 2011 01:33:43 PM »

I am vegan for my health, the environment and compassion for all living things. I believe choosing to be vegan has been the single most important decision I have made for my entire life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
badapple
« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2011 04:41:47 PM »

I am vegetarian simply for the animals. I always felt guilty seeing farm animals at petting zoos. I couldn't reconcile showing them compassion and then going home to eat other farm animals. It's been about three years now and I'm almost to vegan. Progress!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Braided Crown
Top Picks for Sulfate-Free Shampoos
Home Remedies for Dandruff
Zooey Deschanel 60s Updo Tutorial
How to Do a Chic Curly Updo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...