A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why are you Vegetarian/Vegan?  (Read 48306 times)
Tags for this thread: vegetarian , vegan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

holliesademocrat
« Reply #290 on: April 28, 2010 02:33:43 PM »

I'm vegetarian for a myriad of reasons: mostly they add up to it just makes sense!

It's better for my body, for my planet, for my wallet, and for my conscience. I wouldn't eat my cat, so why would I eat a pig?

I went totally vegetarian in 2003, and haven't regretted a day of it. There's nothing I really miss that can't be replicated by my good friends at Quorn and Morningstar (hello chick'n facon swiss)!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Owl swap: crafting (but need to stop!)
TV Addict Swap: crafting
Christmas swap: crafting
FOC swap: crafting
TTFB swap: awaiting a partner
karmickaboom

You can be my flamingo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: June 11, 2010 09:19:39 PM »

I could no longer nourish my body by starving my soul.
Maybe a bit dramatic sounding but true and the way I feel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

matie1138
« Reply #292 on: June 17, 2010 06:55:08 PM »

I can be considered a pseudo vegan, but my diet is mostly based on fish and these lovely green things full of vitamins

you can consider me vegan conscious then Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StitchMinx
« Reply #293 on: June 21, 2010 02:57:01 AM »

I can't say I remember the day I become a vegetarian. I never liked the taste of meat, I would always finish the side dish and leave the meat, one thing that drove my aunt mad is that I would scrape and eat the battering but leave the fillet untouched.  Grin

One of my favourite meals is lentils cooked the traditional Spanish way. The original dish is made with chorizo (kind of sausage), lard and bacon. I started dieting so I removed these from the recipe and added more vegetables and seasoning. I found out that I still loved the dish and started substituting the meat from the other meat dishes I ate and marvelled at the results. I discovered that what I liked from my favourite meat dishes (meatballs, bolognese sauce, shepherd's pie...) wasn't the meat itself, but the seasoning, so I started cooking with more and more veggies and less meat. It was completely a gradual thing, I'm environmentally conscious, so doing things that are good for the planet just comes naturally, I didn't stop to think I had become a vegetarian until a friend asked me why I never ate meat anymore.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EvergreenEffect
The tide of Evergreen

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 29, 2010 07:51:01 PM »

I just really never liked the taste of meat, and I really didn't want to eat it anyway for that matter. I always fought with my mother for meat free meals. One day when I was 23, I realized that I had not eaten any meat in 3 months. I was rather elated and decided to keep it up. After a few more months and not missing meat, I started to loose my appetite for dairy and eggs as well - as in they no longer smelled like food anymore and I gave them up too. Eventually I researched what products came from animals and eliminated all of it from my diet.

At this point I only have a few traces of animal products around. The most notable one being my Orthoflex horse saddles as I haven't yet encountered a decent replacement from my horses comfort point of view.

I never liked the taste of meat, I would always finish the side dish and leave the meat.
Same for me. I was just never impressed with the whole meat experience. I was always happier with a dish of rice or a bean stew then meat. My mother was always so ticked off at me for it, especially when she would cook some kind of meat, and I would flat out refuse to eat any of it until it was "done" - IE does not look like something is bleeding on my plate.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010 07:52:49 PM by EvergreenEffect » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Go than. There are other worlds than these.
Toy
« Reply #295 on: August 09, 2010 07:08:54 AM »

I haven't eaten meat since I was about 7 but I still eat fish, eggs and dairy so I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan, it's just sometimes easier to say that to people than explain! My mum is the same and when I was so young, she said I had to still eat fish, probably because it made life a bit easier.

The idea of eating farmed animals has always disturbed me- I've always had pets and the thought of eating something you've cared for is just beyond me. Conversely, I have a friend who only eats meat if she knows it's origins and that it was properly raised and (gulp) slaughtered etc, which I kind of respect but don't think I could do.

I only buy line caught tuna, responsibly sourced fish and I always try and buy wild fish, which is expensive so I don't eat a lot of it. I try to do this in restaurants too but it's not always possible to know so this is more of a guideline for me at the moment.

One thing I hate about being an almost vegetarian is the amount of hassle you get for your diet choice. I feel strongly that people should be allowed to make their own choices about what they eat, without getting any hassle for it. I've had many an argument with meat eaters (who try and goad you into explaining yourself and who come up with anti reasons for all of your reasons) and with militant vegetarians (who try and tell you that you're not a 'proper vegetarian') so I usually avoid 'the vegetarian conversaion'. Thankfully, this looked like a friendly thread with plenty of other almost veggies, so I thought I'd share - it's good to see so many shades of vegetarianism and almost vegetarianism around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hurts, doesn't it?
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #296 on: August 09, 2010 09:36:24 AM »

The idea of eating farmed animals has always disturbed me- I've always had pets and the thought of eating something you've cared for is just beyond me. Conversely, I have a friend who only eats meat if she knows it's origins and that it was properly raised and (gulp) slaughtered etc, which I kind of respect but don't think I could do.

I've formulated my philosophy that tends to shut up hunters and fishers... I think that if you can't kill it, you have no business eating it.  I can't kill anything, so therefore I don't eat it. If you can, then I'm going to leave you alone at least until I have abolished factory farming. Smiley

One thing I hate about being an almost vegetarian is the amount of hassle you get for your diet choice. I feel strongly that people should be allowed to make their own choices about what they eat, without getting any hassle for it. I've had many an argument with meat eaters (who try and goad you into explaining yourself and who come up with anti reasons for all of your reasons) and with militant vegetarians (who try and tell you that you're not a 'proper vegetarian') so I usually avoid 'the vegetarian conversaion'. Thankfully, this looked like a friendly thread with plenty of other almost veggies, so I thought I'd share - it's good to see so many shades of vegetarianism and almost vegetarianism around!

What you are doing is supporting the ethical vegetarian/animal rights cause so much more than a non-kind-of-vegetarian, and people should be supporting you for it.  I'm thankful if I can get a person to have a non-meat meal a few times a week.   People working towards animal rights/welfare really need to spend more time working on the things they have in common than bickering about the things they dont.   I've had animals rights groups (that I started, even!) fail miserably because the people who do get together at meetings end up spending the entire time arguing about philosophy and principles rather than agreeing that we have common ground and doing something with it.  Not a vegetarian but want to protest the circus? Great! Love the circus but want to help develop a spay/neuter program for the animal shelter? Wonderful!  Every little bit that people are willing to do helps.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010 01:02:16 PM by CamOovas » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Toy
« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2010 10:58:00 AM »

Hell yes.

If only all the world could think like this! Rock on common ground.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hurts, doesn't it?
PoetTE
« Reply #298 on: August 29, 2010 09:14:25 PM »

Even when I was a little kid I wasn't picky like most. I would eat anything! I loved fish, veggies, anything I would eat it! I love food! When I was in my tweens I thought I could never ever ever give up any kind of food, especialy my meat. But, my decisions were less moral and more heath/money related. Even now when I see a picture of a chicken, I think to myself, "mmm, I want to nom you!" lol I can't get behind using hormores, though.

Anyway. I stopped eating red meat and pork first. I never really liked pork, and red meat just isn't good for you... I live in the south, though, and I just can't give up my fish. My dad is vegetarian (and allergic to seafood and, like most of you, he just hates the taste of meat) and since he's started living with us again, I've been cooking a lot of vegetarian stuff for him. One, because we dont have enough money for meat, and two, because I feel bad when I cook stuff he can't eat.

I think it's a lot more difficult for me to become full vegetarian like a lot of you because I like the taste of meat, unlike a lot of you. I don't like eggs plain, but in bread and cakes I don't mind it.

Either way, just like religion, I don't believe it's fair to push your beliefs onto someone else, which is why I'm EXTREMELY unfond of PETA. I get the treatment of animals, but they go to far in a lot of things. I dislike a vegetarian who forces their ideals on a meat eater as much as I hate a meat eater who forces their ideals on a vegetarian.

If there were any spelling mistakes, I'm sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #299 on: August 30, 2010 09:15:07 AM »

Either way, just like religion, I don't believe it's fair to push your beliefs onto someone else, which is why I'm EXTREMELY unfond of PETA. I get the treatment of animals, but they go to far in a lot of things. I dislike a vegetarian who forces their ideals on a meat eater as much as I hate a meat eater who forces their ideals on a vegetarian.

I dislike PETA as well, for a plethora of reasons (at the moment, for their anti-pitbull/pro-breed specific legislation stance).  But you bring up a point that a lot of people do, which is the comparison between religion and animal rights activism. While I agree that "animal rights" is more philosophical and opinion based, like religion, the facts are not.  The debate of whether or not humans have the *right* to eat other animals is one thing, but exposing factory farms and educating people on the current practices and conditions of factory farmed animals are not ideals or beliefs.  That is something that is being intentionally and aggressively hidden from the public, and everyone should be outraged, no matter how you feel about eating animals.   I only bring this up because people make comments to me all the time, as if my choice to not eat meat is religious or something, and I should be keeping it to myself (which, for the most part, I do, but I think people's guilt factor causes them to bring it up to me and pick a fight so that they can feel justified in what they are doing).  Political, maybe.  Religious, no.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Concepts and Storyboards Help to Plan a Photo Shoot
Artist Uses Chickpeas for Artwork
The Morrison Hotel Photo Gallery Opens in Los Angeles
The New Zealand Night Sky Over Lake Tekapo
How to Take Photos of Food
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...