A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why are you Vegetarian/Vegan?  (Read 47146 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

The Moose

Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2009 05:45:58 PM »

My stepdaughter, who is 13, watched some videos on the PETA website a couple weeks ago and since has claimed to be vegetarian.  She says it's because of the animal cruelty thing.  Well, not being vegetarian myself, I'm trying to be supportive but finding it difficult sometimes.  I can understand vegetarian for healthier eating, but if she's doing it for the animal rights issues shouldn't all dairy and eggs be out, too? I'm asking this because all she's eating is Boca burgers and mostly junk (french fries, chips, fruit loops, etc.) and has no issue downing ice cream, cheese, and chocolate milk...other choices have been offered (for example: spaghetti marinara) but she'd rather eat waffles. 

Any opinions would be helpful.  Thanks.

If she's doing it because of animal cruelty, not just the idea that animals have the right to live, then eggs and dairy should be out. Except some small, well-managed farms, egg and dairy farms create living conditions for animals just as bad as those in meat farms. But, there are many animal-rights vegetarians who still eat eggs and dairy. The key is to be responsible.

Don't forget, of course, if she latches on to this idea you will soon be having a more difficult time cooking for her (if you do the cooking, that is)!

Tell her that even though she chooses vegetarianism for animal rights, it has many other implications-- it is better for the environment in general (a plus!), it requires more attention to diet and nutrition, among other things.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

★ Vegan Quaker Queer ★

My Etsy | Art Blog
Lukka
« Reply #261 on: July 08, 2009 02:02:57 PM »

Id never really liked meat or dairy, and when I was 12 I had a rather cool Biology teacher who told us about meat "production" and stuff, which made me go vegetarian at once ( My mum was supportive, but kind of coaxed me into eating more dairy). Nevertheless, for reasons I dont really understand any more, I went omnivore again when I was 24, and even started to really like meat  Undecided.

Luckily Ive been thinking about things a bit more this year and went vegetarian again some weeks ago, for ethical reasons as well as environmental. Ive also been avoiding products tested on animals and am planning to throw out my leather shoes and accessories gradually. Having seen Earthlings last night Im actually closer to veganism than Ive ever been.

Funny enough, the idea of EATING vegan doesnt seem as much of a problem to me as LIVING vegan. I dont buy eggs more than twice a year anyway, and the only dairy products I would miss are cheese, yoghurt and milk chocolate. But I do analogue photography (which isnt even vegetarian, when I think about it ...), I love my Lush chocolate lip balm, which has honey in it, and wool as a crafting material ... So theres some stuff I still have to think about. And in the meantime Ill eat lots of great food  Grin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Thats the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnt good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" (from Calvin&Hobbes)
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #262 on: July 08, 2009 03:07:36 PM »

my becoming vegetarian coincided with practicing Buddhism, and trying to find ways to feel healthier....meditation, yoga, and not eating meat. i continues to do yoga and meditate, and went back to meat....and felt like crap.  now i eat vegan and raw as much as possible, but always stick to my vegetarianism.
  i'm currently living with my inlaws who understand nothing about nutrition let alone alternative eating habits. so my mother in law is always trying to feed me meat, i find it very frustrating! and when i eat raw, she cannot get what it means in her head. like....i bet that would be good with chocolate syrup....and whn isay i cant eat it because its cooked, she says eat it cold
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
Sic World
« Reply #263 on: July 09, 2009 02:23:06 PM »

This post was a good idea...i've always thought it was interesting to learn why people go vegan or veg. I've been itching to know why people stop, though...seems to me every time I mention i'm vegan I hear, "Oh, I used to be but..." More often than not it's due to health reasons, which i'm assuming means they ate a bunch of "vegan junk food" (like me) or weren't getting enough b12 (like me). I was a vegetarian for 6 years when I became severely anemic and had to be hospitalized. Later I learned that the foods I was eating were crap, so I started really getting into nutrition and cooking and baking everything myself...it's so fun! Anyway, i've been vegetarian for 14 years now and vegan for about 4. I highly recommend Sarah Kramer's cookbooks: How It All Vegan and La Dolce Vegan...they are amazing.
What's funny is I feed my dogs a homemade diet (mostly raw meat, veggies, and eggs), and I always feel such shame when I enter the meat department wearing an animal rights or vegan shirt. Eeek!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Do no harm~
~Help where you can~
~Return good for evil~
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #264 on: July 09, 2009 05:59:16 PM »

What's funny is I feed my dogs a homemade diet (mostly raw meat, veggies, and eggs), and I always feel such shame when I enter the meat department wearing an animal rights or vegan shirt. Eeek!

I make my own dogfood too and I've felt pangs of guilt in the meat department, but you have to remind yourself that you are buying meat anyway when you purchase commercial pet food.  Or, stuff that almost qualifies as meat.... parts of an animal, anyway.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neverheardfrom
« Reply #265 on: July 20, 2009 04:39:32 PM »

My boyfriend has been a vegetarian all of his life. We love to cook and all of our meals happen to be vegetarian. It has been a gradual process. I didn't even notice the lack of meat until one day when I was dining with my mother. She came out of the blue and asked me why I had given meat. I didn't even notice that I was ordering meatless meals for a while. I feel sort of guilty that I don't actually have a reason behind it. I guess it is just easier when I cook to to do vegetarian instead of two separate meals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
autumnkisses

keep calm and carry on

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2009 12:02:32 PM »

you don't have to feel guilty for not having a reasoning. My sister's friend has been a vegetarian all her life because she simply does not like the taste of any meat, even as a baby she didn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps: Fill a Box Canadian Style Round 3:finishing up another swap then all my attention is directed to this!
           I Love Fall: Almost finished!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/autumnkisses
Etsy: http://www.sudsisters.etsy.com
Blog: http://curiouslifeofautumn.blogspot.com/
lespapilles
« Reply #267 on: August 01, 2009 01:14:18 PM »

For me its more a taste preference thing, but I also like that im helping out the environment too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
helmet_ok
« Reply #268 on: August 08, 2009 06:14:10 PM »

Vegetarian for 4 years, and I have the WORST reason.

I grew up in South America where I ate meat for almost every meal. The meat is delicious in my country and they treat the animals very well. Coming to North America, the way they treat their meat makes it taste terrible.
To paraphrase: the meat isn't yummy enough here.

Same with the milk too, I'm not Vegan (I love cheese too much....) but I abstain from most milk products, especially straight milk. How anyone can drink an actual glass of milk blows my mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lrigrem

<3 HP, Twilight, Halloween

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: August 09, 2009 05:02:59 PM »

Awesome thread!

My boyfriend got sick with the flu, washed meat pans at work & hasn't been able to eat meat since (it's been ~14 years now).  It just grosses him out.  He's even tried eating it on occasion to test it out - makes him gag everytime.  He can't even eat the fake meat stuff (boca, morningstar, etc).
I stopped eating meat when he started refusing to kiss me after I ate it.  Stupid reason, but I had been into animal rights since I was a kid, and it was the push I needed to do it.  I've been veg for about 8 or 9 years now.  I won't ever go back - I think it'd make me sick to eat meat again, and I'm very happy with meat substitutes.  I do eat eggs & dairy, though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask a Gentern who they prefer, ten out of nine will say "The Pavi!" <3 Oghr!
Repo! The Genetic Opera R3 Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401054.0

http://pinterest.com/lrigrem/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Ingredients for the Perfect Homemade Body Scrub
The Trick to Long-Lasting Lip Liner Color
Product Review: Japonesque Primer Vs. Elf Primer
How to Control Oily Skin
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks
Latest Blog Articles
October 2, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Washi Tape
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...