A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,655
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why are you Vegetarian/Vegan?  (Read 45011 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stellunasoleil
« Reply #230 on: November 19, 2008 05:24:53 PM »

I'm a vegetarian because I don't want to support a cruel, inefficient system that treats animals as meaningless commodities and pollutes the environment on a massive scale. Animals are not here for humans to "use" thoughtlessly.  The spin off from factory farms is cruelty on a much larger scale, besides the animals (and that's bad enough) they are also responsible for cruelty to the environment, cruelty to the employees of the farms and of the slaughterhouses and cruelty to those humans who are starving because all the land is being used to "grow" beef for the rich.
  I also think it's sad that there is such a disconnect in our society from our food.  Kids (and adults for that matter) should know that the fast food burger they are about to bite into once consists of parts of  over 100 cows. If I could grow and slaughter my own, I would but I strongly that if you don't think you can kill it then you probably shouldn't be eating it.
  I'm not a vegan because I don't see the harm in eating eggs IF you know how the chickens are treated that lay them, we buy our eggs from a local farm until I can have my own and I don't understand the argument against wool or honey. The only milk we have in my house is soy or raw, straight from the cow, from an organic dairy my Aunt works at because the system that produces milk is just as cruel and horrible as the one that produces beef. 
  I don't push my beliefs on others but I have to deal with ignorant people who feel it's some sort of humor to taunt the vegetarian with meat, as if that will make me eat it!  I also get angry when I have to pay more for "special" vegetarian food at a restaurant when I know full well my meal cost less than some steak. I think society as a whole would be better off if it were more accepting of vegetarian and vegan lifestyles and I feel it crazy that in the US it's considered normal to have meat at EVERY meal!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emiline

I craft to transcend boundaries.

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2008 08:00:08 AM »

Im vegan because it just makes me feel better. Physically, Im more active and don't feel lethargic after eating like I did when I ate meat. I feel like mentally, Ive gained more clarity; when you stop relying on animals for consumption, you gain a better idea of how we alienate the animal kingdom to put food on the table. Im proud of myself that I dont eat animals or use animal products in my cooking, clothing, or way of life. I guess I just feel like going vegan has allowed me to appreciate the environment and the natural world more than I ever have before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whisky."
William Faulkner.
jillvedge
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2008 09:01:52 AM »

Animal Rights 100%

Yesterday, I have been vegan for one year! Woohoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms Jameson
« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2008 10:23:31 AM »

I'm not a vegetarian.  I adore meat and lust after good cheese.  I will only eat organic meats and dairy though.  The hormone and anti-biotic additives scare me, I guess.

At home though we eat almost exclusively vegetarian because it is affordable.  A can of black beans is $ .68 and a pound of organic steak can be $15 or more.  Even non-organic meats are expensive if you buy low fat cuts.  I want to eat GOOD and HEALTHY, not just cheap and using inexpensive, high fat, low-quality cuts of meat isn't healthy.

I just wanted to add my two cents.  I respect the views of those of you that avoid animal products because of animal cruelty very much, but it isn't a value I share.  Eating animals doesn't bother me.  I thought that maybe those of you who are active in animal rights would like to hear my point of view because it might be an argument you could use when advocating vegetarianism.

I guess what I am getting at is that there are many non-vegetarian foodies that will gladly join forces with vegetarians when it comes to shared issues like ending factory farming, advocating healthy diets and banning unsafe additives in animal feed.  You guys fight a good fight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarmouse0707
Crafty Vegan one:)

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2008 09:46:05 AM »

I was brought up as a country kinda girl...my family are all into their hunting..angling..b loodsports..
They think I am crazy.
I have always loved animals, and when I realised that I was eating them, and more so that I didnt have to, I stopped. I was 11.
My family stopped cooking for me, or having me eat with them..and thought it was a 'phase' of some sort.
As a vegetarian, because it was for moralistic reasons I also never wore leather and was careful about bi products and never would knowingly buy anything tested on animals...so I beleive I was 90% vegan anyways..plus was always on a diet so dairy didnt feature in my life hardly  at all!
I went definitively vegan about 6 years ago, though had had spells of it before then:)
Definitly vegan for the animals and the planet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He who buys what he does not need to steals from himself.
Lyiasha

You are my sunshine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: December 30, 2008 07:39:45 PM »

I became vegetarian around the time I turned 13.I'd been considering it for a while since I felt cruel eating animals on a daily basis and one day without warning to my family I just stopped,they didn't think anything of it since I have a habit of going through long periods of not really wanting anything but one type of food but eventually they noticed how I never seemed to want meat anymore.They respect my choice to be a vegetarian (for the most part) and in 2009 I'll be meatless for two years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never attempt to sew your hand to a shoe.
Keriw24
Brown Thumb Gardener

Imafundork & Keriw24 - Sisters 1st, Friends 4Ever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: December 31, 2008 11:09:21 AM »

Animals.

I am a vegetarian, albeit for only 4 months, because I cannot stand the idea of eating an animal's meat or killing an animal.  I am a lacto/ovo vegetarian though and do still consume dairy products and eggs.  As for now I am focused on whether an animal died for me to eat the food or not.  I also respect people's decisions whether vegan or omni - I just hope people are making well thought out decisions.

I have toyed with the idea of going veg for sometime but like someone else said - Me and food have issues yo.  I definitley think going veg will be better for my health as well (if I use it to my advantage as I can still eat very bad food without eating meat).  Since going veg I cannot stand the idea of eating meat - it makes me sick to my stomach to think about.  Funnily I stopped drinking soda (poison) around the same time and that I miss at times.  I always said if I had to kill my own food I would be vegetarian so I felt like a hypocrite.  I also always felt bad for the poor cattle grazing in cold weather or torrential rain.

The actual day I decided to stop eating meat:  My dog had been very ill and not eating and my mother told me I should go to the store and buy chicken livers for her so that she would eat them and hopefully gain some strength back.  I went in to our local grocery store and looked for chicken livers.  I could not find them so I really looked up and down the meat aisle.  If anyone ever is toying with going Vegetarian I highly recomend doing this.  I saw every part of all types of animals and it really sunk in that when I ate meat I was eating an animal that died for my selfishness.  I was sick to my stomach.  It even made it more sad because my dog was so ill and I feared dying (she has since had surgery and has healed - thank goodness!).  I would never eat a dog so why eat a cow or a chicken, etc. I went home and told my husband (and my mother and sister on the phone later that night) that I was a vegetarian and never eating meat again.  That was that.  I do not miss it one bit.

I am still learning as I go.  For example I know I don't want anything prepared in chicken or beef broth but I forget about things like gelatin etc.  I must say my entire family, brother who hunts and all, have been very supportive including my friends.  It probably helps that I don't push it on anyone else. It just is what it is.  I don't eat meat.  I find restaurants to be okay - side salad no bacon, pasta with marinara, the rice cooked in tomato juice not chicken broth (asked at a mexican restaurant how the two different rices were prepared - good idea!).  I think my mom thought it was a phase but she also thinks that being veg is very healthy and is getting that I won't have her soup made with chicken broth etc. Well enough from me - thanks for the great thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
Luck of the Irish Round 2 Send-outs 3/3
Bento Swap Round 3 Send-outs 3/1
carrotsandcrochethooks
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2009 02:03:27 PM »

I was vegetarian from 2003-2007 and since then have been Vegan.

Growing up my parents always had to trick me into eatting the meat at dinner; I preferred to eat the veggies! So, in highschool I developed a sensitivity to dairy so I switched to soy milk and stopped eating cows & pigs. Slowly, my meat eatting habits dwindled to chicken and fish, then just fish. Then when I got to college I asked myself... why? why eat this at all? towards the end of college I stopped eatting any dairy at all as the allergy had become worse, and a few years later realized I hardly ate any eggs and the conversion to Veganism would be very easy.

Aside from not liking the taste of meat and other animal products I personally find it unethical and terrible for the environment to eat meat. However,My family and many of my friends eat meat; I'm not the type to preach, if people ask  me questions about my diet, or are curious about becoming veggie I talk to them about it and give them tips. But, I believe that we should live and let live. I generally reccomend to my meat/egg/ dairy eatting friends to buy local, organic, & free range when they can.

I love, love, love cooking vegan, trying new recipes, and sharing food with friends, and I love animals. Delights!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

" Asking me said she so free / how can you catch the sparrow?"
urbazewski

make your own photo kaleidocycle at foldplay.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: February 07, 2009 06:44:11 PM »

I've been a vegetarian for 26 years. (I feel like an oldster craftster!) When people ask why I became a vegetarian I tell them when I was 19 and travelling around the US on my own everyone I met assumed I was vegetarian, so I decided to become one....

Well, it's true that people often assumed I was a veg, but really I was influenced by the resource conservation arguments in Francis Moore Lappe's Diet for a Small Planet. Also, the places I was living, Arcosanti  http://www.arcosanti.org/project/main.html  in AZ and my dorm at college, Ecology House, had vegetarian meal plans so it was very easy for me. And I just stuck with it. I didn't start out with an animal rights focus, but in time meat became repellent, sort of like fried grubs. I know other people think of it as food but I'm not going to eat it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_faery
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2009 12:36:12 AM »

Hello all!

I'm not really sure when exactly I took the veggie plunge because I never really thought about it so much as I just started cutting meat out of my diet.  For me it was just a very natural thing.  I know that veggie diets were always intriguing to me on some level and even though for years I adamantly avoided being a vegetarian, looking back, I think I always secretly wanted to be one.

I know that I first started getting more into veggie cooking when my father started cooking healthier food.  He had switched his diet around after he was diagnosed with cancer and he started using veggie "beef" crumble when he would cook chili.  I liked how he made it and started using it myself instead of ground beef.  Soon I also cut out pork (I never liked it in the first place) and ended up eating more chicken than anything else.  When I moved out on my own, eventually I gave up chicken for the sheer fact that handling it was gross and after about six months of being on my own, I had given up meat without really thinking about it and I've been happy with the switch ever since. 

So yeah, that's my story.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make anything except a straight line.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wrap Gift Baskets
How to Wrap a Box Shaped Gift
How to Gift Wrap a Circular Object
How to Do Cross Stitch Embroidery
How to Cross Stitch the Alphabet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...