A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why are you Vegetarian/Vegan?  (Read 44871 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rockindancer86

$2.99 a gallon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 03, 2008 10:51:21 AM »

Good for you, S is for Summer! I'm always glad to hear when someone is taking charge of their health (my sister's starting to do that, too, but isn't very gung-ho yet). And while I grew up in a city and nowhere near anything like you, I somewhat understand that back-and-forth of, 'well, aren't animals here for us to use?' Mine comes from the thought that we have been using them for millenia without problem, so if there wasn't cruelty anymore, wouldn't it be okay to do so again? A little different than your scenario admittedly. But I'm glad it hasn't stopped you from making that transition!

I tried looking for a website that just listed facts about animal cruelty for you so you wouldn't have to watch the videos, but I couldn't find any that were good. Then again, if the videos upset you that much (understandably), then they're doing there job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life-in-Japan, crafts, musings, etc blog here: "Gooooo Japan!" at http://www.rockindancer86.blogspot.com

Excuse me, Mister Pete, have the Cubans a different beat? If they have will you teach me to chick-chick-chicky-boom, chick-chicky-boom?
scrappygirl085
« Reply #211 on: July 03, 2008 08:54:59 PM »

My stepdaughter, who is 13, watched some videos on the PETA website a couple weeks ago and since has claimed to be vegetarian.  She says it's because of the animal cruelty thing.  Well, not being vegetarian myself, I'm trying to be supportive but finding it difficult sometimes.  I can understand vegetarian for healthier eating, but if she's doing it for the animal rights issues shouldn't all dairy and eggs be out, too? I'm asking this because all she's eating is Boca burgers and mostly junk (french fries, chips, fruit loops, etc.) and has no issue downing ice cream, cheese, and chocolate milk...other choices have been offered (for example: spaghetti marinara) but she'd rather eat waffles. 

Any opinions would be helpful.  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #212 on: July 03, 2008 10:15:42 PM »

My stepdaughter, who is 13, watched some videos on the PETA website a couple weeks ago and since has claimed to be vegetarian.  She says it's because of the animal cruelty thing.  Well, not being vegetarian myself, I'm trying to be supportive but finding it difficult sometimes.  I can understand vegetarian for healthier eating, but if she's doing it for the animal rights issues shouldn't all dairy and eggs be out, too? I'm asking this because all she's eating is Boca burgers and mostly junk (french fries, chips, fruit loops, etc.) and has no issue downing ice cream, cheese, and chocolate milk...other choices have been offered (for example: spaghetti marinara) but she'd rather eat waffles. 

ANYTHING is better than nothing....and to get the milk and eggs, you don't have to kill the animal, usually in a horrible, brutal way.

For the issues of a proper diet, honestly, I think that's where being the mom is going to come in, lol. Read up a bit on a proper vegetarian diet (seriously not hard, but DOES take a little knowledge to make sure you are getting the right balance of nutrition...hang around here and ask questions if you need...there are a LOT of us who deal with the same issues of nutrition!), and then put your foot down and be the mom and make her eat her good food. Junk food is junk food, whether vegetarian or not.

FWIW, my sisters and I were all raised lacto-vegetarian (means we eat dairy, but no eggs), my dh and his siblings were all raised lacto-veggie, and now all our kids are the same. My kids are minimum half a head taller than the nearest height among their friends; I am on the higher end of average, dh is 6'3"; my kids' cousins are all well above average in terms of health and growth curve; etc etc etc. And at least amongst my kids and I, our iron levels are always spectacular. Vegetarian does NOT equal malnutrition, and my whole entire family are walking proof of it. Smiley Oh, and we are NOT brown rice and tofu nuts, either. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2008 05:23:48 AM »

I'm not veggie, but I do like to try and get more veggies into my family by doing one totally veg-based meal per week. looking on areas like this are the best way to find interesting recipes. The way I think of it is, you want to make a nice curry and you have the choice of talking to someone who lives in Delhi or someone who was born and bred in Paris, who would you ask for tips on the right spices?

Also, my brother in law and sister in law are vegan and again this area is a great resource for when I feed them too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_girl
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2008 10:48:48 AM »

I am vegetarian, because i dont really like the thought of animals being killed to feed me when there is lots of vegetables etc I could eat. Also i wouldnt be able to kill animals myself, so i dont really think i have the right to eat meat. When I wasnt vegetarian I didnt really enjoy it anyway. But i do eat fish, so I guess Im not completely vegetarian. But i love eating fish, plus it gives me some choice in restaurants that dont have vegetarian dishes. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBrutalBamf

Friendly mushroom! Mushy giant friend!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2008 12:22:16 PM »

Like MMD32 said, a proper vegetarian diet can take awhile to adjust to.  I've been vegetarian for years and I'm still learning the difference between organic and healthy : /.  If your daughter is becoming a veggie for animal rights, then eventually she may cut out eggs and dairy.  It took me awhile to realize that animals don't have to die to suffer for my meal.  When I can (I'm but a poor college student trying to stay in budget), I shop from local farmers.  You would know what the animals are going through, whether growth hormones are being used, and you would help boost your local economy.  It sounds like she's still in an adjusting phase, it's hard to go cold turkey (pardon the expression) for someone whose eaten meat their whole life.
As for the animal rights/activism, if you have any concerns about that- just have a talk with her.  Give her the information she needs to make informed choices, and trust she'll know whats right for her.  (On a personal note, I'd suggest moving away from the PETA bandwagon.  Their hearts were in the right places, but looking into their spending reports suggest otherwise lately.  Too many big name CEOs needing sports cars.  They tend to talk a lot, and use a few too many scare tactics for my taste.  I'd encourage her to volunteer at the local animal shelter, if she wants to give her time away.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBrutalBamf

Friendly mushroom! Mushy giant friend!

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2008 12:57:14 PM »

Me and food, we've got some issues, yo.
(I'm not able to tolerate a lot of the information very far, as it is often delivered in an extremely graphic way that I just can't handle.  Would really, really like to be better informed, but it's hard to be well-informed about something that seems to be generally too ugly for me to hear about at all.)
I have a friend who's giving me a hard time about it. 

"Me and food, we've got some issues, yo."  could possibly be my new favorite quote : )

As for finding information that won't give you visual nightmares, I'd suggest turning to books.  Due to the graphic nature of animal cruelty, hearing about it can naturally be upsetting.  I've been vegetarian for years, and just last month saw an incredibly graphic documentary on YouTube... I had nightmares for awhile.  I felt better informed, but the graphics were a bit too much for my belly.  I feel I don't need to be scared into believing something, just convinced of it's merit.  So, instead of videos I turned to my trusted Philosophy section of Borders book store.  Right now I'm reading, The Ethics of What We Eat.  It's a very interesting book that explores various lifestyles of people omnivorious, vegetarian, and vegan.  It goes into factory farming with enough detail to make you knowledgable, without showing you visually the processes that offend.  I found a nice bonus in the fact that it does touch in on the economic side of things.  It'll show you the backround of companies like Kraft and Wal Mart, and how saving pennies first hand can cost dollars (and morality) down the line.  Gooooooood book, good book.
As for your friends:  They probably won't understand you're reasoning.  Not because they can't, but because it's not reasonable for them.  I have some friends who are in that same frame of mind, and others who'll make vegan meals for me and my boyfriend. : )  It just depends on a person's nature, and how open they are to vegetarianism/veganism. (I have some friends who watched that same documentary, and then told me they saw nothing wrong with it...  Trust me, the scenes in that film were debilitatingly depressing.  Some people can justify anything.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #217 on: August 20, 2008 01:09:41 PM »

I'd also suggest Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating. It does have some pictures but it also looks at the issue as a whole, not only from factory farming standpoint.  And it has a chapter called "How now, mad cow" which is very informative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alice_sews

ADD is not helpful when trying to finish a project

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2008 06:46:19 PM »

first post on the site, and it ends up being this thread that gets my attention. go figure lol.
I went vegetarian (not vegan yet) at the end of last semester. I'm finally off campus and have the opportunity to shop and cook what i please (budget allowing of course). I'd toyed with the idea of vegetarianism for a long long time because i do feel bad about eating something cute (god that sounds lame, but it's so so true... cows are way too cute). So i guess i went vegetarian for ethical reasons... then researched it a lot more to make sure it was healthy and to find out ways to get needed vitamins (but apparently almost everything is B-vitamin and calcium fortified, thank god). I've been a vegetarian for... almost 4 months and i've liked it a lot so far. only hurdle so far is trying to balance meals. im too well trained by the US that for a meal you need a meat, a starch, and a veggie. Taking a while to break that habit and reform it for a vegetarian meal.

that was a long-winded post, sorry bout that lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
val_for_design
Shimmy to the left, and shake it to the right

I should be working...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2008 07:03:03 PM »

I was almost entirely vegetarian for 6 years - my boyfriend was, so it was just easier keeping our shared meals vego. I was lucky in that he knew what he was doing, and meals were very balanced. I'm omnivorous now, and with a different boy. He's entirely organic and locavore where possible, so we reduce our impact that way - by eating meat that's sustainably produced, humanely slaughtered, and generally of a much higher quality than what's commercially available. That said, we still eat vegetarian 3-5 days a week.

only hurdle so far is trying to balance meals. im too well trained by the US that for a meal you need a meat, a starch, and a veggie. Taking a while to break that habit and reform it for a vegetarian meal.

Alice_sews, the exact same food mentality exists in all the English-speaking countries! In Australia we call that the "meat & three veg" approach - meat, potatoes, carrots and peas  Wink .Try re-organising that thought process, so it becomes "protein, starch, & veggies" instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I suffer from SABLE -- Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

Crochet uses a hook. Pirates have hooks, and they are cool. So crochet is cool because of the hook.

"I'm the Fibre King, Michael. I'm the Fibre King." - Horatio Caine, CSI
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Orange Jello Slice Recipe
Homemade Waffle Recipe
Strawberry Shortcake With Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe
Starbucks Birthday Cake Pop Recipe
Red Velvet Cupcake With Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...