A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why are you Vegetarian/Vegan?  (Read 46190 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006 06:22:34 PM »

in the 6th grade I was helping my mom make some chicken for some meal and I looked down and realized  I was pounding a piece of flesh. And from that day it was stuck in my head. The idea that we consume things that are living, breathing and feeling. At that point though, my parents wouldn't allow me to become vegetarian because i didn't know enough to be eating well. And I agree with them, I would have been one of those vegetarians who got their  vegetables from potato chips.
Then, however, a few years later, I started researching again and reading into the benefits of vegetarianism for me and my body and for everything else around me. My choice became one of common sense. It's better for my health, for the animals, for the environment. And my choice a few months ago to become vegan was one drawn from the same common sense. It just makes sense for me. Every once and a while I won't read a label carefully enough or I just won't think and something will have whey in it but I just consider myself a newbie to the whole veganism thing.

:)plus I love cooking. and being vegan allows me to make so many fun things. yay pancakes and sugar cookies Cheesy Grin (those were todays adventures)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShowLola

Tea is for tough guys!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006 06:57:54 PM »

I'm probably in the minority here because I've only been a vegetarian since May.  I've always enjoyed vegetarian food, and I love veggies and cooking.  I'd considered going veg for a long time, but finally made the decision after reading Fast Food Nation.

My decision is based less on animal cruelty and more on health reasons.  The book reinforces the additives and hormones that are added to commerical products, and the unsafe ways food are handled and shipped.  It made me think a lot more about eating local foods, and it put me off beef, pork, chicken, and turkey.  I still eat fish, and I'll also occaisionally eat venison and lamb depending on where it comes from.  We also get our eggs and dairy from local farmers which helps me feel better about consuming those. 

I've tried a raw diet, and I found that pretty difficult.  I've had a lot more luck doing a straight vegetarianism, but I'd like to add some more changes to my diet eventually.

This is a great new board!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006 08:16:41 PM »

I began to have stomach problems, and my body coud not digest meat at all. So I researched and studied about what vegetarianism was and how to stay healthy. I think maybe my mom liked that I did research, so she started to allow me to not eat meat.

I also had stomach problems a few years back when I breifly started eating meat again, so I completely sympathize with you on that. Digesting meat is rough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
blitz
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006 10:00:27 PM »

Growing up, I never really liked meat, and I toyed with vegetarianism in High School.  Shortly before grad, though, a girlfriend of mine forced me to read some PETA vegan propaganda brochure, and I finally decided to actually try it when I moved away for school.  That was five years ago, and it's mostly just habit now - if I'm grocery shopping and need to pick up sandwhich meat for my partner, he has to be super specific about EXACTLY what he wants, because I'm pretty lost in the meat isle, now.    (I'm veggie for semi-political reasons, but I'm not going to push my ideas on anyone else.   I draw the line at cooking it, though.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006 07:54:26 AM »

Great topic! Lets try to just tell our stories and not get into bashing though because I REALLY want to keep this topic. I think its so great, Im going to sticky it! (Im the mod for this board, hey how are ya? Wink)

I became a vegetarian 10 years ago when I was 11. I never liked the taste of meat and one day at school I started to tell people that I was a vegetarian. Dont know why, just seemed like a good idea. I didnt come out and proclaim that I was renouncing meat to my parents but they noticed I was eating more mashed potatoes and green beans and avoiding the chicken breast that I used to pick at before. So I told them that I just didnt want to eat meat anymore. My parents thought it was just a phase but after a few months they realised that maybe I wouldnt outgrow it. At first my mom was super discouraging about it but then our grocery store started carrying Boca and Morning Star products and she would toss a box in the cart every week. Now they are at the point where they make seperate pots of soups and dressings with out beef/chicken broth/bullion because they know I pretty much barf when I realise that I ate meat. It just isnt food to me, no nutritional value. I also agree that with all the hormones and antibodies pumped into livestock, its not worth eating. Hell, look at all the books and movies out there right now that tell you the exact same thing! Does any one remember Upton Sinclairs "The Jungle" from back in the 1920's? Doesnt sound like too much has changed, yikes!

As far as eggs, fish, and diary goes: I dont eat fish. I tried buying fish about 4 years ago because I had the bright idea to go on the atkins diet (HAHAHAHAHAHA) and by the time I got to the check out, I was sobbing! I just couldnt do it! I eat eggs and dairy products (though I buy soy milk so if I cook it, it doesnt have dairy!) but due to health reasons I have to keep as many protein options open as possible. If I gave up eggs and dairy I would go straight into the hospital. I do try to have "vegan days" and even "vegan weeks" if my health holds out just to detox out all the ickyness in them.

Hopefully this board will provide recipies and sources for all of us!
Bon Appetite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
heini
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006 09:50:46 AM »

I began to have stomach problems, and my body coud not digest meat at all. So I researched and studied about what vegetarianism was and how to stay healthy. I think maybe my mom liked that I did research, so she started to allow me to not eat meat.

I also had stomach problems a few years back when I breifly started eating meat again, so I completely sympathize with you on that. Digesting meat is rough!
I didn't have stomach problems when I ate meat, but I had headache very often and it stopped when I started my vegetarian+fish-diet.
But two years ago or so I started to have problems with my stomach after eating dairy. Not always, but sometimes. And lactose free products aren't any better than normal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batty
weird kid

If no one was crafty life would be boring.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006 10:26:27 AM »

I have been mildly vegitarian my whole life. I say mildly because i used to eat chicken and I will eat fish when it is required of me (still only a high school student). I don't eat eggs unless they're in something like bread but I love dairy to no end so I couldn't be vegan.

When ever I see a piece of meat i "see" the animal it came from and recognise the body part (aigh you're chewing on a leg!!) just that is enough to make anyone swear off meat. Personally I think that if you're going to kill an animal you might as well use all of it. (I seriously think that McDonalds, a leathermaker, and a dogfood plant should all work together if they're going to kill the cows anyways.)

As for dairy I really don't think that it hurts the cow, I once read that they have to be milked otherwise it hurts them. and the eggs aren't fertilized so that they wouldn't turn into chickens anyways. I know that some places do mistreat their animals, and if i do hear that a company is doing things like that i tel my mom not to buy their things because of it.

As i have been vegitarian for so long the current theory is that i probably would not be able to start eating red meat simply because i wouldn't be used to digesting it enough to have that end wello.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

replies are so encouraged.... it's scary.
deviantart
wists
blog (it's new so there's not much at all on it)
raining_dreams
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006 12:12:08 PM »

I didn't have stomach problems when I ate meat, but I had headache very often and it stopped when I started my vegetarian+fish-diet.
But two years ago or so I started to have problems with my stomach after eating dairy. Not always, but sometimes. And lactose free products aren't any better than normal.

A lot of times people have some sort of milk allergy. Lactose Intolerance seems to be more common, but allergies are very possible! Try a week of fasting from all dairy and see how you feel. Or go to the doctor and get tested  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006 12:39:40 PM »

In 7th or 8th grade I decided I wanted to be a vegetarian, I am not sure exactly what the reason was, but I am pretty sure it was for the animals. My parents were a little put off by the idea but they still allowed me to do it and were semi supportive. I didn't expect them to stop cooking meat, only to help me cook a bit.

Anyway, they began to buy me meat subs which were incredibly nasty, so that combined with PB+J sandwiches for lunch made me quit. I yo-yo'd back and forth for the next year or so. The problem was I didn't know what I was doing, and I tended to eat the same thing over and over so it got old. Soon though I began researching because It was something I really wanted to continue. Read about nutrition, recipes,  and all that jazz.

After that I stayed veggie for about nine months, then more yo-yoing. Ugh. I finally met with a nutritionist and was able to stick with it ever since. Early on I had a few one time slip ups, but quickly regretted them and stuck with it. Earlier this year I became vegan, cold turkey. It has been so great for me, I eat so much healthier and I became a lot more healthy. I love to cook new foods, and even my mom and brother have admitted the vegan food isn't gross (I knew this the whole time). I made a veggie stir fry with some faux chicken strips a few months ago and my mom still raves about it. Smiley

I admit that I still do slip up and will occasionally have something with a milk product in it. Like ice cream or a chocolate. It helps though that I have found some yummy vegan alternatives and if I go somewhere where I know I will be tempted to bring something I can have. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

la_petite_moi

NOMNOMNOM DING ZIP! :3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006 12:43:31 PM »

I became vegetarian when I was 15 because I suffered from anorexia- it was an easy way to get out of eating, disgustingly enough.  Also, I was tired of chicken, steak, porkchops, etc etc.  The same ol' stuff my dad cooked.  Not that he's a bad chef or anything.

Anyway, I am still vegetarian to this day, except as of August, I became vegan.  I do it mostly for the animals, and because I think all animal products are gross to eat considering, for example, in milk they allow a certain amount of PUS and BLOOD.  Sick.  And sad.  Of course, I guess I slip up because I cook my fiance meat and animal products.  Also, my mother in law bought me a wool scarf and a leather jacket in Scotland.  How...unthoughtful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Sweet And Spicy Chocolate At Home
Chocolate Chip Cookie Milk Shots
Pancake Recipes for National Pancake Day
Why Are People Clamoring For The Polish Pastry Puczkis?
How to Make Fannie Farmer’s 1896 Brownies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...