A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,668
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why are you Vegetarian/Vegan?  (Read 45023 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2006 01:05:05 PM »

i don't care who eats meat, as long as they understand everything involved, and make educated purchases (or better yet go get it themselves)  and this open attitude has made life more comfortable when dealing with people who come from different mentalities.

I don't care who eats meat either, as long as they understand that I won't eat it. I even offer to cook meat for my friends, but most of them say "it's OK, I'll eat veg this week" if I'm visiting.

That's how I am as well. At Thanksgiving my meat eating family made a lot of "alterations" to the food, or took some out before adding animal products for me which I really appreciated. Anyway someone was asking me about why I was vegan and what I ate, the typical questions, lol, and someone commented on how I wasn't all rah rah go vegan and all that stuff, so I told them you respect my choice why shouldn't I respect yours?

I really like when people don't give me weird looks when I tell them I am vegan or seem genuinely interested, when they eat meat I don't go tirading against it. It would be nice to get the same respect back. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bohemia
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2006 02:19:00 PM »

Interestingly, my mother, sister and I are all vegetarians whilst my father and brother are not.  My mother has been a vegetarian for many years (well, a pesco-vegetarian, which, with much love to fish eaters, is not a vegetarian, but in the last few years she has stopped eating fish), and we were brought up with minimal meat as kids (the extended family did not approve of kids not eating meat).  Anyway, my sister and I both decided at different times when teenagers to become vegetarians of our own accord.  My stepfather (and my actual dad, too) and my brother are all meat eaters, which I find interesting.  It's sad, us women are all in perfect health and my brother is quite obese.  I'm not saying it's because of meat eating, but I do think that the fact that we've thought about what we're eating, nutrition etc as a result of vegetarianism is very helpful.

Why am I vegetarian?  I've never quite understood the strange distinction between cute\useful animals and those that exist only to be eaten.  Even as a kid I had a very strong sense of what was fair or not and eventually the eating animals thing just couldn't be ignored anymore.  It just wasn't right.

I've been vegan on a few occasions, and agree very strongly with veganism.  I'm not a vegan at the moment, for the silly reason of convenience (I just moved to Norway...aka Meat Land.  Vegetarianism is enough of a challenge) but at home I eat primarily vegan food.

Slightly off topic...but does anyone in Norway know where on earth I can get nutritional yeast?  It's impossible to find here!  I bought beer yeast by mistake.  Urk.  (It's a long shot, but I thought I'd ask!)

Sorry about the rant!  This is a great topic, I'm really enjoying reading everyone's reasons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
forfun
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2006 08:42:26 PM »

Absolutely retroeva; local shelters are where my craft sale profits go; year-round but especially at this time of the year... glad that other people like to help out while they shop! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cereza Bomba
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2006 04:48:43 AM »

Meat is gross.

Animals shouldn't die. They rock more than people, because as a species we kind of suck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cereza Bomba = CHERRY BOMB!
veganmom
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2006 05:30:26 AM »

As a child I was always curious. Why do we eat meat? Isn't that dead animal? Why drink milk from a cow? We don't drink cat milk or horse milk.

In 1998 I went vegetarian for health reasons. College eating was doing a number on my cholesterol and I was sick of fried, greasy stuff. I woul dhave liked to go vegan but I didn't have enough knowledge nor support (access to foods, cookbooks, websites, etc.)

In 2004 when my kid was born, I tried to make the move toward vegan and where I am right now -- mostly vegan. While it can still be hard at times (dining out, parties) it's been worthwhile and what started for health has now become enmeshed with my spirituality.

V.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2006 06:12:37 AM »

Veganmom, that is so interesting how you mentioned that choosing to be vegetarian/vegan has meshed with your spirituality. Ive noticed that whenever I re-evaluate my diet (eg: did I really eat that whole bag of doritos?!?!) and make concious decisions to simplify my diet by adding more fresh fruits and veggies I also notice that I simplify my life and I in turn become very in touch with my self and spirit. Has anyone else noticed anything similar to this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
heini
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2006 12:05:17 PM »

Slightly off topic...but does anyone in Norway know where on earth I can get nutritional yeast?  It's impossible to find here!  I bought beer yeast by mistake.  Urk.  (It's a long shot, but I thought I'd ask!)
I haven't found it anywhere in Finland either. There are couple of shops that probably sell it, but I'm not going to travel 200km to get some yeast. I haven't tried beer yeast flakes, but I'll probably will, some recipes tell to use them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2006 02:03:40 PM »

i don't care who eats meat, as long as they understand everything involved, and make educated purchases (or better yet go get it themselves)  and this open attitude has made life more comfortable when dealing with people who come from different mentalities.

I don't care who eats meat either, as long as they understand that I won't eat it. I even offer to cook meat for my friends, but most of them say "it's OK, I'll eat veg this week" if I'm visiting.

That's how I am as well. At Thanksgiving my meat eating family made a lot of "alterations" to the food, or took some out before adding animal products for me which I really appreciated. Anyway someone was asking me about why I was vegan and what I ate, the typical questions, lol, and someone commented on how I wasn't all rah rah go vegan and all that stuff, so I told them you respect my choice why shouldn't I respect yours?

I really like when people don't give me weird looks when I tell them I am vegan or seem genuinely interested, when they eat meat I don't go tirading against it. It would be nice to get the same respect back. Smiley

*nods* Although, it is kind of fun to tease my friend with "ewww, go wash your hands you just touched meat", but we just joke around about it. 

For thanksgiving my aunt made me some stuffing without turkeybroth or being in the turkey, and then my 14 yr old cousin decided to prank me ad switched it....and i got so sick that night.  ugh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2006 09:50:52 AM »

*nods* Although, it is kind of fun to tease my friend with "ewww, go wash your hands you just touched meat", but we just joke around about it. 

For thanksgiving my aunt made me some stuffing without turkeybroth or being in the turkey, and then my 14 yr old cousin decided to prank me ad switched it....and i got so sick that night.  ugh.

That's so mean! I would be fuming! I hope you beat him/her up?  Wink Haha.  We have a joke like that around here are well. No one can touch my food with a fork/knife/spoon that has been near meat... or put any of my food  on a plate with meat... Or I say "No meat juice" Haha. Like last night some put a meatball (at the restaurant we went to they serve you half pound meatballs Shocked) on the big plate of spaghetti (It was a family style restaurant) and my mom was like, "No you can't comingle, there is meat juice" It was funny.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006 09:52:16 AM by retroeva » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sexy_penguin_
Progress will be the downfall of mankind.

oh so special.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2006 10:47:57 AM »

wow, it's great reading everyone's stories! i've been trying to go veg since the 8th grade (i'm a soph in HS now) when a friend referred me to the PETA site to do research about animal cruelty. while i really can't stand meat (And never have, i was the only kid i know who would get extra veggies in school, lol) my mom doesn't seem to grasp that it's not just some phase (because i must admit i can be flaky at times). She has been making more of an effort lately, buying boca/ morningstar products (which magically showed up at our local grocery after a few friends and i complained- YAY!) but she says that it gets too expensive if i'm not going to stick with it. i know i won't be able to completely go veg until i leave home, but i cut out red meat (and fast food) about a month ago and i never have really eaten eggs or poultry, since made close friends with a chicken on my great- grandparents' farm when i was little.
I've been planning on the complete phasing out of meat from my diet, and i recently found that i may be lactose intolerant (it runs in my family), so i'm trying to cut out dairy as well. i don't think i'll ever go completely vegan, for simple lack of self control, but i hope to be able to go vegetarian (and stick to it!) in the next year or so. I guess my reasons are the animal cruelty issue, which quite sickens me, and the fact that i don't like meat, and the fact that i've always had weight problems and it seems the best way to regulate my diet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just blame it on the laser rain http://www.myspace.com/oooreo839
http://www.xanga.com/jetadorexcore
---
don't ever get stuck in the sky when you're high.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Traditional Granny Square Pattern
How to Crochet a Tire Tread Blanket Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Thick Square Blanket Part 1/2
How to Crochet a Tire Tread Blanket Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Striped Blanket Method 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...