A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why are you Vegetarian/Vegan?  (Read 46841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Magnavox
« Reply #280 on: December 30, 2009 08:07:25 PM »

I became vegetarian a little over a month ago for a couple reasons.

1) health: I never really ate that much meat at home (I'm a broke college student and it's just too expensive sometimes), but I realized that whenever I went out to eat everything I would get would be fried, greasy, gross, and terrible for me. now that I'm a vegetarian not only has my list of fast-food options severely dwindled, but whenever I do eat out usually the choices I have are are pretty healthy when put in perspective to what else is offered.

2) quality of meat: I did some research on factory farming and how most animals in America are raised and it scared the crap out of me. I can't even imagine eating something that was raised in such an unhealthy environment, force-fed to extreme amounts, and filled with chemicals. the USDA also does a pretty horrible choice of actually regulating and checking their imports, so I'm sure the meat that comes from out of the country is no better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Whitney
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2010 03:14:33 PM »

I was going to post in this thread once before, I'm not sure why I didn't. I've been a "vegetarian" since 1999 or 2000, I don't remember exactly. I decided to become vegetarian when I was in Ireland and the shepherd who ran the B&B we were staying in told us in detail about all the different sausages he had served us for breakfast. It just grossed me out so bad I stopped eating meat right then. In retrospect, now I wouldn't be as grossed out by it, because it was all so local - IE from his farm, and fresh and this is the kind of eating I support now.

I stopped eating mammalian products and poultry, but I've never cut out fish. Once I started college, I started eating chicken here and there because it became so impossible to eat my previous diet. I've stopped eating as much chicken and fish now, I'll have one or the other maybe once a week.

I've stayed "veg" for this long for all the above mentioned reasons, but more recently it has to do with quality and sustainability. The idea of eating month old dead animal flesh from god-knows-where USA is terrifying. I'll only eat chicken if it's local and I cook it myself*, and most recently I've been really conscious of buying sustainable fish. It doesn't seem fair for me to have moral objections to land animals, and pay no attention to the over-fishing problems and sustainability issues with sea animals.

So, that's my story. I don't find it hard to be vegetarian, and I haven't found it hard to be vegan when I've done that in the past. What I find most difficult is how to maintain a balance between my eating habits and my wavering attitudes on animal products besides meat (Eggs, cheese, gelatin, leather, wool, etc etc...)    

*SAD STORY: This is a REALLY hard thing for me to do. It's since gotten easier, and I've found that buying a whole chicken and using the whole thing (I make pate for my mom, and keep the bones and scraps to make stock for soups) helps me feel better. But, once, we bought a chicken, and it was in the fridge for too long and went bad, and we had to throw the poor little guy away. I cried for a long time that night, and for days after too. It was soo soo soo sad. I felt like the worst person in the whole wide world.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010 03:23:31 PM by Miss Whitney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #282 on: January 14, 2010 11:57:15 AM »

*SAD STORY: This is a REALLY hard thing for me to do. It's since gotten easier, and I've found that buying a whole chicken and using the whole thing (I make pate for my mom, and keep the bones and scraps to make stock for soups) helps me feel better. But, once, we bought a chicken, and it was in the fridge for too long and went bad, and we had to throw the poor little guy away. I cried for a long time that night, and for days after too. It was soo soo soo sad. I felt like the worst person in the whole wide world.

I see that all the time, and it really bothers me that most people don't even acknowledge that they are throwing an entire life away.  That animal had a totured existence and died for absolutely nothing, and no one seems to care.  It's even worse with fish and shrimp and stuff, just because they are so small and so many more lives are wasted than with a bird or something. (I didn't mean this as an attack on you, Miss Whitney, but the rest of the world who don't even acknowledge what they are doing)

I also HATE hearing people talk about the great deals they got on turkey at Thanksgiving.  Oh, you only paid $20 for an entire life??  That's great!  I get more and more bitter the longer I've been vegetarian.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheekystitch
« Reply #283 on: January 27, 2010 04:22:08 PM »

I love to cook sew craft. When i started dating my vegan straight edge boyfriend I was introduced to the world of Agar Agar silken tofu and non sausage. Im currently trying to make cheese

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011 08:24:08 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafternoon.

nothing is as it seems.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2010 04:38:31 PM »

i'm best labelled as a pescetarian, as i have the occasional sushi roll or a can of tuna in my salad, but have completely strucken all other meats from my diet a few years ago for the simple reason i hate the taste. i don't feel right eating meat. my boy is straight veggo, he screws up his face when i get 'fish breath', but neither of us are prepared to give up our mutual love for cheese to become vegans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilyumestar
« Reply #285 on: March 20, 2010 09:02:59 AM »

After going to china in 2005 for two months, it did it for me. I was vegetarian since 2005 and went back to eating meat late 2006. I regretted it and went back to vegetarianism in early 2007. I instantly converted to veganism after reading some horrific things about animal cruelty and factory farming.  Cry

It's not my place to decide what should die so I can "enjoy" food when vegan food's delicious Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minowisbitt8lo
I'm your thing in a jar...all illuminated

valerian dreamer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: March 22, 2010 09:20:13 PM »

I don't know what I would call myself. I began eating vegetarian due to health reasons.  If I need a label, I'd have to say "mostly veggie" would fit.  I don't eat supermarket meat at all(beef, pork, chicken, turkey), but I live in Kansas now, so I do eat commercial wild caught seafood. I do eat all sorts of fish. I do cook with local eggs, and drink/use local milk.
I do occasionally eat wild game & game fowl caught/hunted by El Hubbito and his family.  As part of the family it would be a BIG no-no for me to refuse, very disrespectful to them in their eyes.   Although lately (in the last few months) they have decided that as long as I eat the fish they catch I can slide on the meat...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"see, if we all thought the same way, we'd all have the same ideas.  it's a good thing to be different.  but minowis...what ARE you doing with that?"

CHOWI!!  I'm swapping again!
Dotees Round 9
msmadeline
list-maker extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: April 06, 2010 08:29:26 PM »

It's not my place to decide what should die so I can "enjoy" food when vegan food's delicious Cheesy 

that is pretty much where i am right now. i've been an on again off again vegetarian since the 7th grade. we dissected chicken wings (? i don't know why) and the smell totally grossed me out. i've fluttered in and out of the lifestyle mostly out of convenience, which is a terrible reason. my boyfriend hates most vegetables, and isn't usually interested in the foods i love. also, a pretty lame reason. so now, i'm back to CRAVING these foods, and noticing the heaviness that i feel when i eat meat. i don't like it. i've also grown tired of the heavily processed foods the boyfriend likes.

i prefer to eat this way for MANY reasons. i do it for the health benefits, i do it because i LOVE veggies, and i do it because i am uncomfortable contributing to another creature's miserable life. i cannot support it, certainly not out of convenience.

if anyone is interested, i recently stumbled upon a terrific food blog. lots of recipes and all around happiness: http://happyfoody.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sisel
« Reply #288 on: April 07, 2010 03:00:44 PM »

Nice to see that there are so many vegetarians on this site.

I have a very similar story to all the others. I stopped eating meat when I was pretty young. Can't remember the age, about 9 I guess. I didn't even know that there was a word for the thing I was doing. Grin
My parents had a real hard time dealing with my sudden change of behaviour. But I  had realized what I was eating and how it was produced. It disgusted me and I didn't want to be part of it. So I just stopped and never started again since. It was a tough time. Now that I'm in university everybodys seems to be at least a latent veggie Wink
So I feel really comfortable now. But to be honest, I don't know if I could stop eating meat now if I hadn't stopped so early.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amigurumilover

Crafting lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: April 14, 2010 02:18:47 AM »

For me it's also because i can't stand to hear the tales of how meat is made. But also when i eat meat the next day i'm tired, don't feel like doing anything and my belly hurts like hell. So my hubby and i did a little test, we didn't eat meat for 2 weeks and all my symptoms where gone, then i ate meat again and felt terrible.

So from that day forward i'm a vegetarian, and loving it! There are so many great foods out there that doesn't involve "killing" anything and my body is much happier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Sewing Machine
Sewing: Tips for Beginners
How to Use a Sewing Machine
Types of Threads for Sewing
Sewing: Dealing with Upper Thread Breaking
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...