A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please can you help me figure out how to knit this jacket? (with pics!!)  (Read 486 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2006 12:35:23 AM »

Hello!

My art teacher has a cardigan that she loves, and would like to copy. Anyway, she knows I knit and has asked if I can figure out a pattern for it.  I think it's knit top down with raglan increases, but I don't know how to get the st st to be slanted on the front. Do I just put a st marker at the underarms and on each row dec 1 on the outside of the marker and inc 1 at the front edge? Or is it something completely different??

(Sorry - Crafster's photo hosting isn't working for me, so I have to use photobucket)

This picture shows the slanted knitting on the front

I would really appreciate any help! Thank you! xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittastic

i like to make!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006 06:46:05 AM »

goodness, this is a confusing one. i believe the whole thing is knitted in one piece from side-to-side, with built in shaping for the arms. i believe that somehow that affects the slanting on the front. it would be interesting to to take the whole thing and lay it out as flat as you can, and see if that gives any clues..... good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there are two ways to get by in this life, and thats to be oh so hard or oh so pleasant. i find its much better to be pleasant.
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006 07:14:26 AM »

Are there seams where the shoulder decreases in the front are?  The front looks to be knit on the bias where the back and sleeves look like your standard old raglan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpre ss.com
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006 07:40:16 AM »

To me, it looks like the sleeves and each side of the front are knit as one piece, um, two pieces... um, yeah.  You'll knit one sleeve and the left front and one sleeve and the right front as one piece, sort of.  Of course, with a bottom-up raglan, you actually knit the sleeve up to the armpit, then cast on the bottom edge of the sweater and knit up to the armpit level, bind off some stitches at the sleeve edge (that you'll later graft together with some stitches from the sleeve to make the armpit seam) and then start knitting across the entire sleeve and front.  That's where you'll start your decreases.  With this pattern, you'll probably decrease at the "back" edge of the sleeve every other row, and at the join with the front piece every 4th row.  Keep going to what would be about where your collar bone starts and set it aside.  The knit the back piece up to the armpits, bo a few stitches on either side for the armpit seam, and start your deceases on either edge up to the same point you stopped.  Seam everything together and pick up stitches along the whole top to work your collar.  (Or, leave all the top stitches live, put them on holders while you do your seaming, which should include the sides, the back shoulder seams and under the armpit, and then work all the top stitches together for your collar.  You should look to see whether you think it's seamless up there or if there was a bind off and then pickup, which leaves a little ridge, smaller than a regular seam.) 

The raglan shaping in the front looks like K2tog decreases rather than increases.  The back looks like it has seams where the raglan shaping is.  The front is knit on the bias, which also means that the shaping where the sleeve meets the front piece requires fewer decreases than the back.  Look at the sleeve cuffs to see if they were cast on or bound off, you can always tell the difference, and then you'll know whether it was worked top down or bottom up for certain.  It looks to me like the front edges are selvage edges, while the bottom of the sweater and sleeves look like cast-on edges to me.

Look up bias knitting to get an idea how to make the front shaped like that.  Knitty's ever-famous clapotis could give you some ideas.  I think it basically entails descreasing at one edge and increasing at the other edge, but you'll probably have to experiement some with some swatches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006 07:46:48 AM »

It looks like it's knit from the hem up, decreases at the front edges, the sides, and the sleeves as the shoulders.

You asked:
Do I just put a st marker at the underarms and on each row dec 1 on the outside of the marker and inc 1 at the front edge?

I think that would work if it's all one piece, only look at the way the raglan shaping sts are facing. I think you'd be increasing if it's bottom up, and on every other row. It's rather a nice design. If I had it for a coupla weeks I could probably copy it. You mostly have to play around with a sample until you come up with something close to it.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shrimp Stir-Fry Recipe
How to Cook Pork Ribs
How to Make Orange Chicken
How to Make a Tempeh and Shiitake Mushroom Stir-Fry
How to Make Teriyaki Glazed Duck Breast
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...