A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buyer Turn Offs  (Read 43794 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wildfyre
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2008 08:28:15 AM »

Personally I prefer to see them modeled on a real person... or at least a realistic mannequin. Otherwise I wonder if it would look good actually on. So many things are adorable on the shelf but just don't look right on
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2008 10:43:53 AM »

Here's a question: When it comes to things like hats and scarves, do you prefer to see them modelled or not?

I definitely always want to see things modeled on a mannequin.

However, I do appreciate human models if the photos look professional, meaning a)I don't see a background of your yard/house/kitchen/whatever, b) it's not a full body shot if I am supposed to be looking at an accessory, and c) I don't want to see the models face.  If I can see someones face I am reminded that what I am considering purchasing has already been worn, and then I start thinking about the person wearing it, rather than the item itself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2008 06:26:52 PM »

modeled on a real person is better to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
mrsmartin428
« Reply #203 on: October 18, 2008 05:13:34 AM »

I tried doing an Alchemy request once...never again.  I had wanted a custom jewelry box for my daughter and had a picture of what I had in mind.  Lots of people put in bids...all of them either at my requested price or way, way over it.  The person who I chose had a lot of very nice boxes in her shop, although everything was styled for a grown up and not a kid.  When she finally finished my box I was disgusted, it looked like something that was slapped together in two hours and not even close to what I had requested.

If you're going to put in a bid for an Alchemy request at least make sure to do what the person wants...especially if they go to the trouble of providing pictures of what they have in mind.  If you're just going to slap something together then don't even bother.  Alchemy are still customers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

C'mon get happy!  :-P
Rogue Butterfly
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2009 04:55:32 PM »

I haven't yet opened an Etsy shop but I've got a questions concerning whether clothing and accessories should be modeled on humans or not -

What if the pictures I took were staged to look more like those you'd see in a catalog or a commercial advertisement?  Would a more professional looking photo make you more likely to overlook the fact that the garment has already been worn for five minutes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2009 05:59:51 AM »

Professional photographs overcome most things except terrible, aggressively bad grammar!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ComeOnGetDown
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2009 12:53:39 PM »

ok, so we don't really have a whole lot going on at work today and i just read all 21 pages of this beast of a thread...

i'd like to add that i prefer that the clothes not be modeled by a person except in the case where the picture is an example, and the actual item will be custom made.  i understand that a lot of people can't afford a dress form and will sometimes put the item of clothing on to test for size/fit and i'm fine with that, but i don't want to see it.  i won't even mention the fact that a lot of the people modeling long skirts like to wear them outside to show how much of a hippie they are and the bottom of the skirt drags all over the ground.  i don't want your dirty bottom skirt.. whatever.

another good idea (in my opinion) is to make a sample skirt/top/dress/whatever for yourself and say, "here, this is what it looks like on a person" and then have pictures of the actual item of clothing you are trying to sell.

there were some HUGE shipping issues raised about halfway through the thread, and after having to ship all my Christmas presents this past year i completely understand where all these high shipping costs are coming from and i don't assume that everyone is just trying to rip me off.  Ok, now, when someone charges you $13 and the shipping label says $2.50.. then ok, that's bs... but if you're pissy about the shipping rates you can get estimated rates for shipping online, so hop on the internet and look to see if you're being ripped off before you start pointing the finger.

also, please don't type in all caps, it makes my eyes bleed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kristen81
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2009 01:27:24 AM »

Or WhEn YoU tYpE lIkE tHiS....ooooooooooo oooohhhh!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
IamSusie
« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2009 06:22:21 AM »

Or WhEn YoU tYpE lIkE tHiS....ooooooooooo oooohhhh!!!!!!!!
I hardly ever see that sort of thing.  Thank goodness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thedreamer
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2009 10:12:21 PM »

There's a few things that annoy me as a buyer:

1) bad, confusing photos- either too dark, too blurry, not very concise as to what's being sold (like if the item was placed on a bed covered with other random things or the bedsheets have a print on it that makes the item hard to make out).  Since I can't physically see or touch the object, I'm making most of my decisions on the pictures.

2) vague descriptions and lack of measurements- I want to know size and have a nice, detailed description of what I'd get.  Sometimes the pictures don't show the actual size, and I have been disappointed before when I bought something, not realizing it was much smaller than I imagined.  Now I don't bother buying if I don't see measurements. Spelling mistakes are also a turn-off, since I don't think it's that hard to do a spell check before a seller puts a list up.

3) lack of international shipping info- I hate having to convo every time for shipping...I'm a bit of an impulse buyer and if I have to convo, I may just decide not to bother at all.  I know that shipping may vary depending from where the seller's from, but what I've really liked is when the seller puts up an average cost as to how much shipping would cost (usually a bit inflated), and then refunding the extra shipping costs I've paid after they've gone to ship it, usually when they're $1 more then charged.  I don't know how much of a bother that would be, but I really liked that.

4) overpriced shipping and poor packaging- I know shipping costs varies around the world (and Canada has expensive shipping imo), but what really kills it for me is when the shipping is much more expensive than the item, and the cost is unreasonable for the item being sold.  The worse is when I pay for shipping, but the item itself was not packed properly.  I once bought a cute pendant off etsy, paid about $4 shipping on it (which sounded reasonable), only to receive it in a normal envelope, not padded.  I opened it to find the pendant broken in 4 pieces.  Needless to say, I was rather disappointed that the seller didn't even bother packaging it properly.  I understand it's cheaper to mail things in flat envelopes instead of padded ones, but if I pay for shipping I won't imagine that the seller would cut corners.  It doesn't have to be fancy, I just want the item to get to me safely and preferably presented professionally.

5) lack of a note/invoice in package- just like how you get receipts in stores, I like getting an invoice of some sort with my purchases.  It could be just the invoice from paypal, or a note saying "thanks for buying _______ from my store".   That's just more professional to me than simply mailing an item by itself.

In my opinion, if the seller is professional with their business, they should be fine.  Most of the time I get amazing service on etsy where sellers go above and beyond Smiley
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009 10:21:42 PM by thedreamer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop: Using the Render Effect
How to Use Distort Filters in Photoshop
Final Cut Pro 6: Two of the same Filters! Why?
Motion 3: Advanced Project Example
Motion 3: Optical Flow Retiming Demo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...