A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buyer Turn Offs  (Read 43588 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2011 01:17:47 PM »

One of the worst things I've seen when browsing the pages of Etsy was a seller who used inverted caps lIKE tHIS for both the titles and descriptions of EVERY item in the store. The items were cute, but I was completely turned off by the writing. It gave me a headache!  

I agree. I'm probably very easily turned off by a seller. This would totally do it.

This will get me to click out of a sellers store lightening fast: No location. I will not look further at a seller who does not state their location. It's the first thing I look for. USA will not work for me either. Just the state is even enough. I've had some bad luck and good luck buying from certain areas of the country. (I do live in the USA) So unfortunately there are a few areas I won't purchase from again. I'll purchase from Canada. I've never had a bad Canadian experience to date. I have, from Ebay, purchase from England, Australia. So those places and Europe are open too.

Also if you live in a small town no one has ever heard of, please add the state. "Small Town" I don't know where that is. "Small Town, Ca" Good. "Small Town, near Boston" Good. "Small Town, Upstate NY" Good. And when people just put their zip code. Unless it's the zip of my town. I don't know where it is. I'm not going to look it up. I'm just going to leave the store.

Oh and has anyone ever seen someone who has like 5 or 6 locations? What is up with that. I can see two. In fact that's all I'll tolerate. I have seen this at least twice, and I immediately left their store.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011 12:33:29 PM by Teresa_T » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #221 on: March 08, 2011 05:50:21 PM »

Whew!  I think I read every entry in this thread!  Well, at least the first sentence of every paragraph in every entry after the first 10 pages.   Undecided   I don't think I saw anyone suggest that sellers include the cost of packaging items (boxes, envelopes, bubble wrap, labels, ink, tape, your time to package, etc.) in the price of the item and then charge just shipping cost for shipping.  I know that "just shipping cost" varies widely for some people, but for sellers who have a few basic sizes for items (like me) it's pretty easy.

Speaking of shipping costs, I've been using the USPS Priority Mail Tyvek envelopes and their Click-n-Ship service.  I order the envelopes online and within a few weeks they show up at my house for free.  It's $4.95 so ship this from the PO or $4.70 if I do it online and plop it into the big clue mailbox a couple blocks from my house (or my front porch).  I charge the $4.95 to contribute to the cost of my paper, ink & tape for the label (in opposition to what I've written above).  However, since most of my items are around $20, I'm considering changing my in-country shipping to first class.  I haven't yet checked into the cost of envelopes or availability of tyvek(and I really like the tyvek, because it's just about water proof and a floppy envelope suits my items fine). If I continue to ship from my house (it would cost me nearly $4 just to drive to the post office these days) and can cut my shipping down to even $3 I wonder if it would increase sales just a little.

The only bad experience I've had with an etsy seller was a popular shop that stated in it's policies that buyers could convo for custom orders.  I convo-ed in late Sept about a custom piece for Christmas and heard NOTHING.  Not even, "I can't do custom for whatever reason" and I was super disappointed, especially as this person is local and I want to feel good about his success.  Also, because I wonder if he'll take my idea and use it since it fits nicely with a series he has.   Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phoenixfiredesigns
~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2011 09:49:32 AM »

Oh and has anyone ever seen someone who has like 5 or 6 locations? What is up with that. I can see two. In fact that's all I'll tolerate. I have seen this at least twice, and I immediately left their store.
Really? That seems...petty. Take for example where I live. The Tampa Bay Area is a metropolitan region comprised of SEVEN COUNTIES. Seven!! Within those seven counties are hundreds of small cities. Just listing the top three big ones makes Tampa, St. Petersburg and Clearwater. People might be looking for "tampa bay" or "tampa bay area" or "tampa" or "clearwater" or "st. pete" - and that's just the biggest, big-name portion of this area. People might also be looking for by county - Pinellas, Hillsborough, Pasco, Hernando, etc. - or by some of the smaller cities - Oldsmar, New Port Richey, Palm Harbor, Largo, Tarpon Springs, Spring Hill, etc. Unless you live here, you might not realize how complex this region is. Nor how diverse and challenging it is to label. Should I miss out on people searching for "Clearwater" just because I only list "Tampa" even though it's right next door?

Sometimes you need to expand on your location because it's not as clear-cut as you might think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
DaisyDoe
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2011 11:19:41 PM »

I have actually come across this quite a bit. I've seen many shops list their location as multiple cities or even countries! I find it very off-putting - it makes them look like they're commercial manufacturers working out of different areas... and that might very well be the fact!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.daisydoe.etsy.c om
Adorable crocheted Amigurumi animals
onceinlovewithAmy
« Reply #224 on: July 12, 2011 09:27:39 AM »

Really? That seems...petty. Take for example where I live. The Tampa Bay Area is a metropolitan region comprised of SEVEN COUNTIES. Seven!! Within those seven counties are hundreds of small cities. Just listing the top three big ones makes Tampa, St. Petersburg and Clearwater. People might be looking for "tampa bay" or "tampa bay area" or "tampa" or "clearwater" or "st. pete" - and that's just the biggest, big-name portion of this area. People might also be looking for by county - Pinellas, Hillsborough, Pasco, Hernando, etc. - or by some of the smaller cities - Oldsmar, New Port Richey, Palm Harbor, Largo, Tarpon Springs, Spring Hill, etc. Unless you live here, you might not realize how complex this region is. Nor how diverse and challenging it is to label. Should I miss out on people searching for "Clearwater" just because I only list "Tampa" even though it's right next door?

Sometimes you need to expand on your location because it's not as clear-cut as you might think.
That makes sense. I can understand putting a bunch of cities if you live in a metropolitan area and want to include a variety of the cities from your area to cover more of your local area. However, it's annoying when someone puts a bunch of places that aren't even that close to each other. I searched for people in my city once and found a person who had my city, two smaller towns nearby, Portland OR and Seattle WA listed as their cities. Portland and Seattle are almost 200 miles apart! And I've seen this kind of situation many times. There was one in PA who had both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia listed. Not exactly one metro area, so why would you list all of that together? Situations like yours are fine, IMHO, but when it's a bunch of unrelated cities? Not okay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ModernButtercup
« Reply #225 on: August 08, 2011 06:10:03 PM »

A few things turn me off when I'm looking at items online:

1) TyIpNg ThAt LoOks LiKe ThIs- It's hard to read and looks unprofessional.

2) Poorly written descriptions- descriptions that give no size or dimension of the item or have lots of spelling mistakes.

3) Expensive Shipping- It's a big turn-off for me when I see an item that's $2.00 and see the shipping's $8.00, usually it's on light weight items that take no more than $3 to ship!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 05, 2011 11:37:06 PM »

Regarding the regions or cities/towns: I did mean places that are not even remotely connected. I can understand someone may have two homes. Snowbirds for example.

But I have literally seen sellers listing towns at 4 or 5 corners of the country. Something like "Seattle, Phoenix, Atlanta, NY, Norfolk" Just using large city examples. And I was like 'what the?' Too fragmented and spastic for me and I'm out of the shop.

If someone is stating several closer proximity towns/cities, I understand that and it makes sense.

And I do continue to admit I am easily turned off by a seller. Since I can't see and hold the item and I don't really know who I'm buying from, it's professionalism of the shop that may be the deciding factor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #227 on: September 09, 2011 12:39:59 PM »

Thank you for all of the information!  I wrote the notes down or added information to my profile in my etsy shop.  The only thing that has different opinions is whether or not an item should be modeled on a person.  I like hearing both viewpoints.

Also, I started my shop in May, spent a lot of time figuring out my logo and policies then I wrote draft listings, gathered a large inventory of 50+ items and finally opened it in September.  I sent a mass email to my friends and family as well as posting it as an event on FB and I changed my signature here to include a clickable link as well as a short description of what I sell.  It makes me happy when people favorite an item or even my shop.  It boosts my confidence in the things I make and the stuff I find.

On topic, my pet peeve:  poor photographs-- the lighting is too dark, I can see junk in the background,  the photo is from far away, and blurry photos.

The other one is digital collage sheets.  I would rather it said that first in the description because they sometimes look like rubber stamp designs.  Or decoration.  I am biased because I don't particularly like them.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011 03:43:50 PM by irid3sc3nt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
Swaps:  OTT October10/21, Creepy Cute Stuffie10/23
Modus Operandi
Paint Hussie

handpainted and repurposed vintage items

« Reply #228 on: September 15, 2011 09:51:27 PM »

False information in the sellers profile, just to attract certain buyers-
for example, I came across a shop recently who advertised the fact that all of their items were made in a "pet free home". They sold some sewn fabric pillows. In one of their photos, the pillow was sitting on a couch, and the couch was COVERED in pet hair!
The shop had 0 sales.

Spelling errors- proofreading or having someone else check out your listing before you post something is a good idea.

poor quality photos, blurry photos, or distracting items in the photo that take away from what actually is trying to be sold.

Shops that dont offer PayPal as a payment method- its so much faster and easier to do transactions rather than only accepting checks or other forms of payment that aren't widely used compared to PayPal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shops! http://www.enamor.etsy.com

enamorweddingshttp://www.enamorweddings.etsy.com

Pinteresthttp
dreadlocklove
« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2011 06:16:44 PM »

I feel turned off by sellers who do not leave feedback.  I haven't bought on Etsy too often but I made a point to leave a note to every seller I've dealt with to give thanks and it seems appropriate that they also show appreciation for my business. 

As a business owner, I would never take money from a customer without acknowledging the transaction and the same applies for those made online.  Especially when the product/service it given online so nothing is shipped out via snail mail, meaning no thank-you card in the parcel.  It doesn't take long and I really don't see any reasonable explanation for not doing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How pleased can one sun setting make you, if you humble yourself to it?  -Ani DiFranco

Dreadlocklove on Etsy:
http://www.dreadlocklove.etsy.com

50 CRAFTS IN 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Age Defying Oatmeal Treatments and Diet Tips
Top 5 Drugstore Foundations
Sephora to Launch Beauty Social Media Site
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
The Makeup Secret That Will Make Your Skin Glow
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...