A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buyer Turn Offs  (Read 49158 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006 06:45:13 AM »

r........I am thinking of getting one of those inflatable dress forms for a display so I could "model" the clothes

Now all I can think about is having one of those erotic  blow-up dolls as a model.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
PirateKisses

Love shines in her eyes.....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006 07:14:39 AM »

lol......that's an original idea too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM GETTING MARRIED ON AUGUST 13TH!!!
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006 12:08:18 PM »

I have the opposite problem about clothes being worn. many of my customers want to see action shots of the clothes and I dont have any yet. one said she needed to see how it would fit a personso she could get an idea of how it would fit her........I am thinking of getting one of those inflatable dress forms for a display so I could "model" the clothes

Yeah, I'd be really skeptical about buying any kind of fitted clothing that was just flat on a bed. I bought a corset on Ebay once, and I could tell it would fit by the dimensions the seller gave AND by the picture of it being modeled by someone with a similar figure to mine. I don't expect independent sellers to have a dressmaker's doll, since they can be pretty expensive. The idea of something being worn once doesn't bother me, and just because it isn't being worn in the pictures doesn't mean no one's ever tried it on. This is why a professional appearance is so important... I'd expect a professional-looking shop to have stuff that was essentially new if tried on, and not something that has been worn out a few times.
If they offer a new garment that is one thing, but if it is a recon then I am somewhat skeptical. Hats for me though are something I wear everyday and I want them to be new, so I guess I am more picky there.

When I shop for those things I also look for the non-smoking environments. If it is not mentioned in the shop I will convo to ask, or pass on it all together.

Does anyone care about the images used? By that I mean some I have seen have people making funny faces, or even avatars for shops that are odd. I like when the shop has a profeesional feel to the overall look. Anyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DsgndbyRJ
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006 03:39:41 PM »

I agree with a lot of the above points - and would add - I won't buy from someone's whose bio is about how they *need the money* - well don't we all! *lol*  I don't really care why you're selling, and would rather think you are doing so because you enjoy your craft/art - not because you're hard-up.  People sell things to make money, does it really need to be pointed out in your bio or in a desperate post for a sale?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.RJBeads.etsy.com - beads and jewelry making supplies! **SALE ALERT**

www.designedbyrj.blogspot.com
ellenade
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006 04:08:52 PM »

to be honest, i really dont like seeing people in the shots. for some reason it seems really depressing and suburban to me to see a poorly lit photo of someone wearing clothes/ holding a handbag/ et cetera? unless you look like a model (and even then it seems narcissistic) stay out of the pic!

I actually say this with personal experience - i used to list my items (i used to sell head scarves) with a picture of my head (not my face) and in hindsight they looked pretty damn awful. not to wonder my sales were so poor then!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006 04:44:41 PM »

ROFL Ellenade! You nailed it on the images. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MartinsvilleEmporium

we are all made of stars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006 06:59:19 PM »

I've been doing my holiday shopping on Etsy, and here's a few things that have turned me off:

1) I like to have a general idea of what part of the world a seller lives in. Now I realize that the location was one of the things that was broken when V2 hit, but even I have that fixed now in my profile, lol. The general location gives me a real good idea of how much the shipping should be, not to mention how long it's going to take for my item to show up.

2) Descriptions!! I've been using the Time Machine 2 to shop, and while I realize my own listings are rather words, I've been seeing items with 10 word descriptions. Sorry, you need to tell me more than three words if you want me to buy your item, especially if it's something even slightly unusual.  Please tell me what it's made out of, general dimensions, or something!!

3) I won't buy American Apparel t-shirts because they run too small and I don't like the fabric. I won't buy Cafe Press shirts because they are cheesy and thin. And if I have to question whether the shirt is either of these two because you haven't told me what kind of shirt it is, I won't buy it anyway.

4) If I get my package, and I find out that it's a USPS Priority Box turned inside out - which is illegal, btw, unless the box has already been used and you're recycling it - chances are I won't buy from you again.  People misusing the free USPS supplies is one of the reasons the rates keep going up. Nothing is free, folks.  Roll Eyes

Other things have already been mentioned - bad pictures, overpriced shipping, hats on live heads, blatant misspelling (although I readily admit that Firefox 2.0 is saving my butt, lol!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://MartinsvilleEmporium.etsy.com ~ Handcrafted Soaps, Soy Wax Candles, Lip Balms, and who knows what else!
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006 08:12:50 PM »

4) If I get my package, and I find out that it's a USPS Priority Box turned inside out - which is illegal, btw, unless the box has already been used and you're recycling it - chances are I won't buy from you again.  People misusing the free USPS supplies is one of the reasons the rates keep going up. Nothing is free, folks.  Roll Eyes

turned inside out?  Why not just use it the regular way?  I'm sort of confused here....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006 08:13:51 PM »

The location thing bugs me also Martinsville Emporium. Your point of the USPS boxes is very true, though I have never had that happen to me personally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006 06:05:10 AM »

I agree that photos where the item is just thrown on a bed/floor/where ever will make me hit the "Back" button no matter how great the item might be. If a seller doesn't care enough to take a decent photo to display what they're selling, it makes me think that they're not too bothered with the item either and thus it can't be very good.
You don't need a fancy camera or any special equipment to take a nice photo, just a little time and effort.

to be honest, i really dont like seeing people in the shots. for some reason it seems really depressing and suburban to me to see a poorly lit photo of someone wearing clothes/ holding a handbag/ et cetera? unless you look like a model (and even then it seems narcissistic) stay out of the pic!

I actually say this with personal experience - i used to list my items (i used to sell head scarves) with a picture of my head (not my face) and in hindsight they looked pretty damn awful. not to wonder my sales were so poor then!

I prefer to see an item modelled by a real person. Just like with any other item, it's just a question of taking a good picture. So instead of posing in your messy, poorly lit bedroom, stand against a bare wall somewhere with a clean floor and lots of light for example.
When the item is on a real person you get a much better picture of how it might fit you. Using a fitting dummy or mannequin is good too, but not everyone has access to such and modeling the item yourself is heaps better than just laying it flat somewhere.
I don't mind the fact that the item has been worn by the person modeling it, as they most likely only put it on for the photo and took it off as soon as they're done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adriana Trigiani Talks About Very Valentine
Mary Elizabeth Williams Talks About Gimme Shelter
Tricks Book Trailer
Judith Curr Talks About Microsoft Tag
Meet Author Sunny Schwartz
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...