A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buyer Turn Offs  (Read 47292 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2006 10:46:34 PM »

What will turn you off fro buying from a shop online? Maybe pet peeves, or little things you like to see? If something is poorly described or bad pictures? What if the items come to you after purchase, and are not wrapped well? Or smell bad?

Finding out what makes people not want to buy or return to a seller of a shop could be very helpful, I think, to those of us who have online stores.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006 11:25:25 PM »

Before buying:

1. Poor pictures.
2. Poor description, especially if it doesn't give dimensions and there's nothing in the pictures to indicate scale, or if it doesn't describe the materials used.
3. Spelling mistakes or other typoes in the description. It's unprofessional and makes me lose confidence in their ability to handle my money and personal information.
4. A site design that looks like it was teleported out of 1997. Also unprofessional.
5. Inflexible shipping, and/or a lack of explanation as to types of shipping available and expected time to fill the order and transit. I think today's online consumers are sophisticated enough about shipping types that having options is important.

After buying:
1. Smells bad?? Yikes! I can't even imagine... Although having clothing or something made out of fabric would be rather gross if it showed up smelling like cigarette smoke. Some people advertise their wares as "from a pet-free home," which isn't important to me. I'm curious as to whether it's important to other people, and why (excluding extreme allergies).
2. If something was so poorly wrapped that I was worried about damage, it would affect my future purchasing decisions. I've never purchased insurance on a package.
3. If there are delays in shipping without communication, it's a problem.
4. If the item is noticeably different from the photo. Sellers should be careful to point out when, because of lighting or whatever, their photos are misleading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006 11:47:35 PM »

Some great items in your lists! Many of those are in mine as well. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006 02:19:06 AM »

Some things that make me hit the "back" button when I stumbled upon certain Etsy shops:

1.  Poorly made items - Okay, I'm not perfect.  I can't re-create designer gowns and I can't make fused glass jewelry; however, when I see photos on Etsy pages and there are obvious mistakes in a piece, it leads me to question how much pride the seller takes in their craft.  If you are going to sell an item, be sure it doesn't look like something you'd find in the manufacturer's defect bin at the local store.  I don't want to see fabric with frayed edges, fabrics that don't match, pockets that are sewn on crooked, etc.  Now, sometimes mis-matched fabrics, crooked pockets and raw edges are part of an overall design scheme, at which point it should be noted in the description; however, shoddy work shouldn't be put up for sale.

2.  Poorly taken photos - You don't have to be a professional photographer to take decent looking photographs.  The ones that bother me the most are the pictures that are obviously taken of an item haphazardly thrown on someone's bed and you can see the crap in their room in the photo.  Please, don't take pictures of your items on your floor, bed or anywhere else unless the background is a nice solid, neutral color that compliments your item.  It's hard for me to want to buy a pretty necklace when I can't make out the details of it because it's photographed laying on a bold floral print bedspread.

3.  Typos - I have to echo the sentiment on typos.  Everyone makes spelling and punctuation errors, but these need to be rectified before putting your site up.  Typos, in my opinion, convey a negative image.

4.  Over-priced or under-priced items - There is a fine line when it comes to pricing items you want to sell.  I would be inclined to spend $50 on a handmade bag if it looks like it's worth $50.  If I saw a bag that looked like it was worth $50 and the seller is asking for $10, it leads me to question just how serious they are about the work they do and how much pride they take in their work.  Etsy isn't eBay, where you can sell used candles for a penny apiece.  It's a community of real artists I hope wanting to make some money for their hard work and dedication to their work.  I know alot of people under price because they want to sell in a hurry, but I see alot of really nice stuff on Etsy that is so under-priced, it doesn't make it any more tempting for me to buy it. 

5.  Poorly described or mis-represented items - True story; I am a Hello Kitty addict.  A few years ago I was on the Sanrio website and spotted a limited edition, patent leather, rhinestone studded HK purse.  It was $75.  Looking at it in the picture, it looked to be a good size, but dimensions were not specified.  I placed my order, gave my CC number and imagine my disappointment when six weeks later I received my limited edition, $75 HK purse in a padded envelope.  That's right - it's not even big enough to put my tiny cell phone in it.  At best I can carry my driver's license, some wadded up cash and a tube of lipstick in it.  It doesn't do me alot of good to see a picture of what looks like a full-size bag and receiving a mini-tote.  Dimensions are the key! 

I have also come across shops online (not just Etsy, exclusively) where someone will really over-sell their item and I know the description isn't 100% accurate.  I can pretty much tell from a picture whether your item is real leather or vinyl, so please don't say you item is leather, sell it for $60 when it's really made from Pleather.  Be honest!  It's like those people on eBay who claim to be selling 100% authentic Von Dutch bags and I can tell from looking at a picture across the room it's a knock-off.  It's an impressive knock-off, but a fake none the less.  Bottom line - "this is a cute purse!" as a description or exagerrating your item's description are no-no's. 

6.  Broken promises or false information - This falls under the "be honest" category.  Live up to your promises.  If you promise free shipping and handling, as a means to draw in more sales and entice lurkers, honor that promise.  Don't ever mislead your customers and prospects.  Don't tell them that shipping will be $3 if you really mean it's only $3 if you live within a certain radius and it ends up being $10 for shipping when it's all said and done. Don't promise next day delivery for the price of ground shipping unless you truly intend to eat the additional $20+. 

Also, I realize not everyone selling on Etsy is a part of the corporate world; however, if you want to be a respectable seller and make a name for yourself you should treat your Etsy shop as if it were a real business.  If you can't meet a deadline or something happens to a shipment, be honest and alert the buyer ASAP.  Don't be afraid of making someone angry because people will be alot more angry if you promise something to be in their hands at a specific date, you can't make that happen and you don't tell them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
sistersstitchings
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006 04:39:13 AM »

A real turn-off for me is when a seller is obviously trying to make their money from the shipping.  I won't buy an item no matter how moderately priced if I see the shipping is something like $11 for a small light item.  I realize there are costs in handling and packaging but sometimes it's ridiculous!  Shocked

I've actually received thank-you's from my customers thanking me for the honest shipping! Smiley

Oh - and on the spelling issue - have they heard of spell-check??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006 06:04:58 AM »

Some really great points here ladies.

One thing that was mentioned to me by a seller I was buying from that I really have taken into my own personal dont's.
* I was buying a hat from someone and requested more photos of the hat to get an idea of size, shape, etc. I asked if she could put the hat on for a photo, and she said some people don't like to buy a persoanl clothing item that has been worn.

Well, after considering this I now will not buy an item of clothing (hat, skirt, etc. ) that is photographed with someone wearing it. Now I shop at thrift stores, and know items have been worn, but I also know I can see them and know that washing is an immediate when they get home.

On the spelling thing...I also find it a turn off when someone does not use grammar somewhat properly, punctuation included. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006 06:13:01 AM »

A real turn-off for me is when a seller is obviously trying to make their money from the shipping.  I won't buy an item no matter how moderately priced if I see the shipping is something like $11 for a small light item.  I realize there are costs in handling and packaging but sometimes it's ridiculous!  Shocked

I've actually received thank-you's from my customers thanking me for the honest shipping! Smiley

Oh - and on the spelling issue - have they heard of spell-check??

I don't necessarily go out to "make money" on the shipping, but when you consider that paypal will take their 3% off the total you are paid (as opposed to Etsy, who only takes their chunk out of the item's sold value), you almost HAVE to add $1 or so to shipping to cover paypal's fee or you do wind up losing out.  I've screwed myself over many times on shipping things off ebay.  I know for a fact that shipping *most* of what I sell, when I add delivery confirmation and insurance comes to over $8.  I generally charge $10 as shipping, which leaves me with under $2 to cover the packaging materials AND the paypal fees.  The other alternative, I suppose would be to add extra money into the actual COST of the item.

if I charge someone $10 on shipping and their item turns out to be only $5 for shipping, I'll send them a refund for the difference, but since I don't own a postal scale, it's hard to determine what would cost more/less. 

As for spelling - if people have the latest version of Firefox, it will spell check right inside your description boxes, so hopefully that will help.  the other alternative is pasting things into Word or whatever, and if I'm posting something professionally, I'd take the extra time to make sure it looks nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006 06:14:47 AM »

Some really great points here ladies.

One thing that was mentioned to me by a seller I was buying from that I really have taken into my own personal dont's.
* I was buying a hat from someone and requested more photos of the hat to get an idea of size, shape, etc. I asked if she could put the hat on for a photo, and she said some people don't like to buy a persoanl clothing item that has been worn.

Well, after considering this I now will not buy an item of clothing (hat, skirt, etc. ) that is photographed with someone wearing it. Now I shop at thrift stores, and know items have been worn, but I also know I can see them and know that washing is an immediate when they get home.

If people ask me for a "modeled" photo, I'll either toss the item on a stuffed animal, or take a photo of a similarly made item that I made myself or a friend and note to them that the modeled item is NOT the same item they are buying, but was made in the same style. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
PirateKisses

Love shines in her eyes.....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006 06:19:02 AM »

I have the opposite problem about clothes being worn. many of my customers want to see action shots of the clothes and I dont have any yet. one said she needed to see how it would fit a personso she could get an idea of how it would fit her........I am thinking of getting one of those inflatable dress forms for a display so I could "model" the clothes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM GETTING MARRIED ON AUGUST 13TH!!!
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006 06:25:06 AM »

I have the opposite problem about clothes being worn. many of my customers want to see action shots of the clothes and I dont have any yet. one said she needed to see how it would fit a personso she could get an idea of how it would fit her........I am thinking of getting one of those inflatable dress forms for a display so I could "model" the clothes

Yeah, I'd be really skeptical about buying any kind of fitted clothing that was just flat on a bed. I bought a corset on Ebay once, and I could tell it would fit by the dimensions the seller gave AND by the picture of it being modeled by someone with a similar figure to mine. I don't expect independent sellers to have a dressmaker's doll, since they can be pretty expensive. The idea of something being worn once doesn't bother me, and just because it isn't being worn in the pictures doesn't mean no one's ever tried it on. This is why a professional appearance is so important... I'd expect a professional-looking shop to have stuff that was essentially new if tried on, and not something that has been worn out a few times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sweet Soy-Glazed Tilapia Recipe
Spicy Orange Chicken Recipe
Chicken and Basil Stir-Fry Recipe
How to Make Asian Style Baked Fish
Pan-Fried Tofu Recipe from Chef Judy Joo
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...