A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan/Vegetarian resources and information  (Read 12391 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sundaybrunch
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007 11:33:37 AM »

I love Vegan Lunch Box. So inspiring for packed lunches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quietly lurking...
Ladymissdelight
Why can't monsters get along with other monsters?

There is a very good chance that I am a unicorn.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007 11:49:30 PM »

I have some questions about veganism. My mother REALLY does not want me t go vegan because of an article she read. (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/opinion/21planck.html) Is this valid? Is she sying that a normal adult can go vegan but not a pregnant mother or an infant? I think the article may be misleading and I would still really like to go vegan. Can anyone offer me some answers or help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ya know, if you ripped off the delicious bottom and just left the delicious bottom, you'd have a cookie."
mimikachu
teacher lady extraordinaire

I (heart) swaps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007 04:57:49 AM »

The article may raise a point about soy milk and juice alone killing a kid-- duh! But if you're supplementing and adding in things like nutritional yeast (think: slightly cheesy flakes) also taking apple cider vinegar and also blackstrap molasses ( a spoonful a day of both) is sufficient for most adult women. I've got several friends who are able to meet their iron intakes through these methods alone, and with the help of a multivitamin- live healthier lives than anyone else I know.

I"m not currently vegan, but my live-in boyfriend is, therefore, all of our meals at home are. I would recommend lots of looking around online, but my vegan friends stick to those three supplements (nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar and blackstrap molasses.)

Good luck, and realize that veganism takes WORK but it is achievable

Melissa (mimikachu)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothin' worth doing ever comes easy.
Ladymissdelight
Why can't monsters get along with other monsters?

There is a very good chance that I am a unicorn.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007 09:25:12 AM »

Thanks a ton! I was fairly sure that the article was blowing things out of proportion but it was still a little bothersome. I'll do a bit more research. Thank you so much for the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ya know, if you ripped off the delicious bottom and just left the delicious bottom, you'd have a cookie."
fallencupid
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007 08:42:15 AM »

I can't remember how I found this website, but it's call The Vegetarian Society which is based out of the UK. They have a lot of informative links on their site, and you can also request some brocures from there which they will send you in the mail.

http://www.vegsoc.org/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008 08:44:34 PM »

This is a great idea for a thread.

One of my favorite places on earth:
www.farmsanctuary.org
A lot of information at the above site too.

Mario. One of the dearest, sweetest cows ever. Despite his terrible beginning:
http://www.farmsanctuary.org/rescue/healthcare/mario.html

Another farmed animal sanctuary I'm a member of:
www.animalacres.org
Located in Southern California

I don't think this nice blog has been listed yet unless I missed it:
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kathhhhhy
The Garbologist's Wife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008 02:13:46 PM »

A fantastic cookbook for both vegan and vegetarians... a book written by the fine folks from a delightful eatery called The Grit in Athens, GA.  About 2/3 of the recipes are vegan and the rest vegetarian but often adaptable to vegan. 
http://www.thegrit.com 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cosmicicon
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008 09:40:52 PM »

i feel like i have to talk about some of my favorite cookbooks, since they haven't been listed so far..

the first vegan cookbook i ever bought was The New Farm Cookbook. It's a classic. The best vegan mac and cheese i have ever eaten is in here. They also have sections on how to make soymilk, tofu, tempeh, soy yogurt, etc. It also has a section on vegetarian nutrition for mothers and children if that is of concern to you. all around great book.

for quick easy meals for one, i actually like the Students Vegetarian Cookbook by carole raymond. some of the recipes are like, duh, i can already do that, but there's a lot of good yummy recipes in here.

of course, Soy Not Oi, and Please Don't Feed The Bears. they're both published by akpress. There are stories in both of these, and plenty of weird ass recipes. But i like that because a lot of cooking is inventiveness, and these books are definitely unique.  I made the yogi chai from PDFTB, and mmmmm so good. christmas presents right there.

I also have this really cool book (it's actually 2 books in one) Hot Damn and Hell Yeah by ryan splint and on the other side it's the Dirty South Cookbook by vanessa. also by ak press, also strictly vegan recipes. This cookbook is for tasty food, not necessarily healthy food. I like Hot Damn better, personally, I favor southwestern food over southern, but they're both really good. The taco and burrito fill... yummm. highly recommended.
also, the akpress books are generally inexpensive. They're small, but filled with recipes.

as for online sources, like everyone else i like
vegweb
theppk.com
and veganlunchbox.
and i always check cheeses at cheese.joyousliving.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men. W.W
omnipotentpov
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009 10:14:25 PM »

I love easy, simple and quick cooked meals Smiley Many of the cookbooks I own were listed but I thought I would add a couple more that I really really like.

Student's Go Vegan Cookbook by Carole Raymond (super duper majorly easy recipes mostly for two people)

Alive in 5 - Raw Gourmet Meals in Five Minutes by Angela Elliott (so this is raw (vegan) food which I tend to only really enjoy in the summer time, but the meals are super flavorful and only take five min to make...duh)

The Vegan Family Cookbook by Brian P. McCarthy (this is my all time fav vegan FAMILY cookbook...its not fancy meals but instead really great and easy comfort type foods, the types of meals that you could get a kid to eat!!)

Any vegans who have kids, I would really really suggest picking up the Vegan Family Cookbook, its a great addition to real family style cooking and is super kid friendly.

For those on a budget or only cooking for self or maybe you and a mate...I would super suggest the Students Go Vegan Cookbook (there is also a vegetarian version)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Hamburgerin

I ♥ travelling, photography, sports & knitting

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009 08:27:53 AM »

What a nice collection!

If you're able to read some german here's my favorite source of vegetarian recipes: http://www.chefkoch.de/rs/s0t32/Vegetarisch-Rezepte.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Michael Feinstein Shares Memories of the Gershwins
Rachael Ray Talks About Her New Book, My Year in Meals
R.L. Stine Shares Discusses the Main Ingredients for a Horror Novel
Author Teddy Wayne Presents His Own Book
Morgan Matson on Second Chance Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...