A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
769 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Again with dandruff.  (Read 2508 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Blah
« on: September 20, 2004 03:25:54 PM »

Ysee, my friend has badbadbadbadbad dandruff.
She comes over EVERYDAY, and cries on my shoulder, telling me that her dandruff wont go away ( i'm not lieing, this is a true story) and seriously, she has really bad dandruff.

Since she doesn't have a computer and all, I'm gonna help her out and post this little dandruff thing ... hoping that you guys might help her.

I'm on the phone with her RIGHT now (9/17) and this is what shampoo she uses : Lush.
She puts the shampoo on her head, and than rinses it out ... no conditioner

Then she gets out, and then puts this head and shoulders leave on soothing cream .. for the dry scalp - but it DOESNT work for her ( i know.. it shows).

She blow drys her hair, and then puts this mouuse on .. followed by pomade ..

And then after a few hours at school, she scrubbs her finger on her scalp and finds LOADS of dandruff stuck to her finger.. its nasty

I see her every now and then looking back at her black shirt, and checking if she has any dandruff sticking out of her head .

It's really sad seeing her sufferiing like this .. help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hott shit, biotch.
purevitality
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004 03:37:01 PM »

Also, are you sure she's getting all that stuff of?  I know a few people who thought they had dandruff but really it was just flakes of the products they'd put in their hair and hadn't gotten completely out.  However they used conditioner... so that may be why. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everybody here is out of sight
they dont bark and they dont bite
they keep things loose they keep it tight
everybodys dancing in the moonlight
Blah
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004 03:43:18 PM »

Also, are you sure she's getting all that stuff of?  I know a few people who thought they had dandruff but really it was just flakes of the products they'd put in their hair and hadn't gotten completely out.  However they used conditioner... so that may be why. 

OH ITS NOT THE PRODUCTS.
It's large .. dandruff, ew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hott shit, biotch.
arna
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004 09:51:11 PM »

My fiance has monster dandruff.  He gets flakes when he towel-dries his hair!  No joke.  He's using a perscription shampoo and it helps, but it hasn't solved the problem.

Does your friend have a dry scalp, or is it itchy?  If it's dry, using conditioner and oils will help.  If it's itchy, it's a skin condition and she should see a doctor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stashia
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004 10:55:55 PM »

sometimes the antiseptic properties of tea tree oil can help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I judge art, I take my painting and put it next to a God made object like a tree or flower. If it clashes, it is not art." ~ Paul Cezanne
lutheranchick
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004 07:08:27 AM »

Is your friend even using dandruff shampoo? Because if it isn't working, all she has to do is go to the friggin' doctor.  It could be a skin infection, or she might need prescription strength shampoo. Oh yeah, and she needs to get a grip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
lutheranchick
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004 07:09:23 AM »

oh yeah, and it probably isn't dry scalp.  It very rarely is. So she can throw away that cream crap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004 10:40:58 AM »

ok i have the same problem except i dont use any kind of products or blow dry my hair....i just wash it and air dry it.....what she probly has is syrebic dermitis (sp?)   and head and shoulders can work but only if you use the intensive care in the dark blue bottle....but the best is shampoo with tar...like  nutrogena t/gel  its so awesome i love it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"reality leaves alot to the imagination"

I dig things and people
dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004 11:11:13 AM »

I suffer from a flakey scalp during the winter, when heaters suck all the moisture out of the air.  I started using Aveda's Scalp Benefits (it's in a brown glass bottle, with an eye dropper) and was amazed at how well it worked.  You apply it to your scalp after washing your hair, and massage it in.  My flakes were gone!

Also, even if the flakes aren't product buildup, it could be caused by the products.  She is using a lot of products in her hair, and they may be interacting with her skin or the other products in a way that either causes the flakes, or just worsens them.  And the blowdryer further dehydrates the skin, making it worse.

Tell her to stop using all of those products for about a week or two.  Just use a very simple (gentle and fragrance free) shampoo, like maybe Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo, and no conditioner.  Have her air dry her hair, and don't use any styling products or heated styling tools (curlers, straightening iron, blow dryer, etc).  See if that even makes it better at all.  If it does improve, it may be something she is using in her routine.

The other suggestion would be to have her see a dermatologist.  They can assess the situation and either find out what is causing it and give her a plan of action to combat it, or prescribe her some medication or other products to help eliminate it.

And let her know that it may not be a life sentence.  Often crazy hormon fluctuations during your teen years cause all kinds of unsightly things to happen with your body.  As you exit puberty, many things often stabilize and eventually go away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mimi_sita12
This is my lucky fin -wiggle wiggle-

[...Found Nemo!...]

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004 05:29:03 AM »

selsun blue is great, and so is the neutrogena t-gel, i still have dandruff, but not as bad, quiet little. yea.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just keep swimmin, swimmin, swimmin.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Design Concept Envisions Semi-Invisible Structures
Sleep Like a Bird in Nests for Humans
Luxury Jaw-Dropping Pool Proposals
Floating Jellyfish Skyscraper Design Concept
Amazing Polar Umbrella Skyscraper Design
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...