A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,556
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Long distance relationship in a box?  (Read 2095 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jellyfish8706

Let's make it.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2006 07:42:34 PM »

Ok, so there's probably a better name for it than "Long distance relationship in a box," but that's all I've got so far.

Here's the 411 on us:
We've been together for 4 years now
He's 18
He goes to Ohio University and I go to Bowling Green
Our song is Wonderful Tonight by Clapton, but I'll Be by Edwin McCain and Some Kind of Wonderful by Grand Funk also hold some strange sort of significance between us. 
He LOVES it when I make him stuff.  (I'm crocheting him a jolly roger sweater right now)
He listens to classic rock.
His parents are hippies.. he is only a pseudo hippy.
He has a soft spot for pirates.

Any suggestions??? I've already got the obvious covered... calling card, love notes (maybe one for every week or two for the rest of the semester).   I've been thinking about a mix cd and maybe some food, but I'm not too sure yet. 

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/kitschcouturebykelly
jellyfish8706

Let's make it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006 08:10:31 PM »

hmm... still thinking.  Do you ever reach the edge of an idea and know it has potential... you just can't quite put your finger on it?  Maybe something dealing with a calendar.  With important dates and little memos?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Selise
Out Of Control ATC'er

So In Love - 1 Year Together 22 Feb

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006 09:24:20 PM »

My hubby and I had a long distance relationship for years (him in the UK, me in the US).. how's about:

a coupon booklet with cute things in it like "my treat for the movies tonight", "you can hold the remote tonight", "good for a back rub" and other more personal stuff

what about a scrap-book of the times you two spent together? and make it in a 3 ring binder so you can add pages to it (I used really heavy cardstock and decorated all the pages, took weeks) and I gave it to hubby on Christmas a few years ago

or.. how's about a small photo album that you decorate the cover on?

I'm sure I can think of some other stuff

OOO

go to Joanns and get a blank puzzle.  Fill it out with something like where you'll be.. make it an invitation, then send him one or two piece in the mail per week, so he has to wait to find out what it says..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jellyfish8706

Let's make it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006 03:32:27 PM »

I really like the puzzle idea.  I made him a coupon book for our first anniversary, and he still has it =)  I'm going to joanns tomorrow.  That will definitely be on my list!! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lifeasapeach
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006 04:49:14 PM »

My boyfriend and I both attend Ohio University but he lives in Akron and I live in Maryland. We don't get to see each other at all over summer and winter break so I send him lots of love notes and things from magazines, newspapers, internet etc that remind me of him or know he would like. Maybe add some envelopes/stationary and stamps for some love filled snail mail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talmina
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006 07:04:16 PM »

Selise, you have a man who gives up the remote  Shocked

I think the calendar is a great idea, put on various things you will be doing on different days so he knows what you are up to, and how many weeks or days until you will see each other again.  Try a shirt or pillow sprayed with your fave perfume, you could also spray it on the letters.  I think the puzzle idea is great too!  Send him ringtones of your songs or something too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellyfish8706

Let's make it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006 09:12:22 AM »

Alright, so far I have:

Mix Cd
Envelopes/stationary/stamps
Jolly roger sweater
box of cute quotes (I saw something like this at kohls, so I made him one, it's like a box of fortunes from fortune cookies. I filled mine with love quotes and inside jokes)
Calling Card

Does that seem like enough???

Over break we're going to the garden store to buy matching plants to take care of when we're far apart.. it's kind of weird, but cute too. =)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006 02:04:03 PM »

This wouldn't be for now, but in the future:  What if you started keeping a daily journal about your relationship with the intention of giving it to him six months or a year from now.  Something of an autobiography of your love?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
WaterWitch

Hey! Where's the Beatles? And Led Zeppelin?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006 10:37:52 AM »

Far Out...hippie parents, as a person who lived through and survived the hippie era myself, I love anything out of the 60's and 70's.
 If your boyfriend likes Piratey stuff how about a crocheted hat with very "Sparrowy" stuff crocheted in or hanging from it...pirates patch eye, and skull, the gold nugget etc. pirates chest.  I don't know the level of your crocheting or crafting talents, so these are just suggestions.
  Or perhaps a scrapbook of all the things he loves including the words to GFR's - Some Kind of Wonderful inside that you have written.  A collage type of thing was something we used to do a lot of in the early 1970's and we'd scour every magazine and catalog in the house for stuff to cut out and collage.  The closet doors in my bedroom were one giant collage.  Its fun, fun to look at, easy and inexpensive. The items you choose will of course have meaning only to the two of you, so it would be a special book just for him from you.  Oh yes, and of course don't forget to include pictures of yourself.
  Good Luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harm None
sallye24
s to the ally

paz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006 07:14:18 AM »

if you go to staples, you can give them 12 photos and they will turn it into a calendar for you....its fairly cheap and the quality is really good.  i gave my friend that for a gift when he left for college and kept one for myself.  i still have it an i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jackandsally.etsy.com           check it out for handmade clothes for sale...and just check out etsy cause it rules
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 5 Pieces You Need to Transition Into Fall
How To Get Vanessa Hudgens Boho Look For Less
Worst Dressed of the 2013 MTV VMAs
Best Dressed of the MTV VMAs
United States in Style: Portland
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...