A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Atlanta- Metro Area  (Read 24516 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2003 04:54:19 PM »

I live in N. Atlanta
and have no clue what good fabric stores, sewing shops, craft stores (other than pearl) are around.
I just recently got into crafting and haven't a clue...
PLEASE HELP!
xoxo
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 04:00:00 PM by 1062345600 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

divasteph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003 08:30:40 AM »

ok since i guess no one has replied to my plea yet - i will post one place i found that is great!!!

99 cent Mega Bucks Superstore
located on Alpharetta Highway/ highway 9 in Roswell, GA at the intersection of Holcomb Bridge and highway 9
(same shopping center as Startime and a big Hobby Lobby coming soon - the first hobby lobby in this part of atlanta!)

This dollar store rocks (kinda smelly) but HUGE (like california style dollar stores) they have all sorts of great stuff!!! and you could shop for hours!!! great for picking up things to reconstruct~!
xoxo
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003 08:31:20 AM by divasteph » THIS ROCKS   Logged

adlib
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003 10:05:39 AM »

Hey, thanks for the tip. I went there today and wound up with 6 bags of stuff. It was a good place to get stuff to put in the kids' lunches, too.

I'm partial to thrift stores for craft supplies. Not just fabric and recyclable stuff, either. I've actually found great craft equipment at them. Knitting needles, sewing supplies, various types of paper, stuff to glue to stuff, etc. I like the Last Chance thrift stores. Here's their site, print the coupon! http://www.lastchancethriftstore.com/locations.htm

-Courtney
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divasteph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003 11:12:10 AM »

Hey Courtney -

glad i could help - i wish I knew of other places to go.
i am glad there is another georgian here now!
xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hughes

your welcome, janice.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003 02:21:25 PM »

Hey just thought it was super awesome we got some down south represent'in  Tongue  folk here. I'm from Athens, I make it to Atlanta once every month or so...

hughes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-[hughes]
divasteph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003 06:41:34 AM »

yay - more georgians!!!
I am moving to Nevada in April - but gotta represent the A-town!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bruised betty
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003 08:09:35 PM »

I think Home Depot is a good place to get craft supplies or the recycling center. There are some decent fabric store on the westside of Atl. like Forsyth Fabrics. Sometimes you can find remnants of heavy weight upholstery fabrics. -Former Atlantan - Current Crafter
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ednathewitch
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2003 11:02:00 AM »

Hey, great thread! I just found this site...figured there had to be a crafters forum. I'm always on the look out for more art/craft stores. I became obsessed with knitting a month ago after finishing a project (hat to match scarf already made for Hubby...3 yrs to complete  Embarrassed ) so I've been hunting down actual yarn stores, not just your craft store type. I'm also in N Atlanta, so hope to meet some of you out there.

Yarn Stores (that I've visited in the past month)

Strings and Strands http://www.stringsandstrands.com/
4632 Wieuca Road NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30342
Hours: M-Sat 10:30-5:00
**This is located in Buckhead just off Roswell Rd. I missed it the first time. I go S on Roswell & make the left on Wieuca (light just after W. Wieuca) & you can take the first or second driveway on the right.**

This is the first yarn store I visited. It's one room w/yarn lining the walls, as well as crates on the floor. I went on a muggy sort of morning & the doors were open, making the whole store sort of muggy. There seemed to be a good selection of yarn, especially novelty yarn.

They didn't carry to brand I was looking for, Brown Sheep Co , but offered up a sub for the Brown Sheep Nature Spun Worsted. I don't know what it was, since it was in a bin labled felting yarn. It's some type of wool/mohair blend, and was spun, not worsted at all. The project's going well, but perhaps I shouldn't have been so hasty in wanting the yarn immediately. She said there'd be plenty of yardage to finish the project (need 245 yds total) so I got a skein of each color needed. I'm not quite at the half way point, and I don't think the yarn's going to last. Good place for novelty yarn, also it you're a wiz at making subs. I don't think I'll ask for a sub again, though.

The Cast On Cottage http://www.castoncottage.com/
1003 Canton Street
Roswell, GA  30075
Hours: T-F 11:00-5:00 Sat 11:00-4:00
**Located in Historic Roswell just past the square. I go N on Roswell (can you tell I live off Roswell?) to HWY 120 (Atlanta St at this point). Hwy 120 N to just inside Roswell. Atlanta St turns into Canton St where Hwy 120 & Hwy 9 branch off to the right turning into Alpharetta Hwy. Follow Canton St (not 120) through downtown Roswell. Just after the shops in the square area, the yarn shop is on the right. It's a free-standing house next to an office complex. Parking is in the same place as the office complex.**

Visited here the second weekend of my obsession looking for Mission Falls 1824 Wool. They specialize in natural fibers (wool, mohair, angora, etc.) but do have some fun novelty yarn. This entire little house is the store. Different types of yarn are sorted by room. Most of the novelty stuff is in the main room, which also has a great selection of books and patterns. This is a full service store, so they do finishing work. They've also got a newsletter and a schedule of classes. Everyone was great & very helpful. No Mission Falls or Brown Sheep Co, but I could spend hours just looking at the yarn. They've got lots of finished projects you can purchase, or they'll be happy to tell you how it was made & help you pick out yarn and needles.

Nease's Needleworks  http://www.neasesneedlework.com/
345 West Ponce de Leon Avenue
Decatur, GA 30030
**Located in downtown Decatur. I took the scenic route...Roberts Rd changed into Chamblee Dunwoody. Right turn onto Peachtree Industrial. Left turn onto Clairmont. Right on Commerce (you're downtown by now), right onto W Ponce, then final right into the parking lot at Nease's. It all took about 35min to get there, 25-30min to get home once I knew where I was going. There are definitely faster ways to get there, but I-285 was a paking lot so I avoided it. Free parking is available right out front.**

I stopped by here this past Saturday. I was getting over a semi-flu like "thing" so I probably missed some stuff. This store is dedicated to all kinds of needlework. There's a room devoted just to yarn. This seems to be the only place in the area that carries Brown Sheep Co. yarns. They'll special order just about anything for you. No Mission Falls (I begin to wonder if I'll ever find it in a store) but Susan, the owner, offered up a great suggestion and I bought some Cascade 220. What a great yarn! I'm almost finished with the hat (pattern from Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie Stoller) I wanted it for.

All the employees are great. I didn't go past the yarn room, but I'll definitely be going back to check out the rest of the stock. Not nearly as much yarn on hand as Cast on Cottage, but still worth the trip. They also sponsor a Stitch 'n Bitch at a local coffee house in Decatur (first Monday after the first Thursday of every month, there is a session held at Carpe Diem at 7:30).

Ok, that's more than enough for me. I'll be sure to post new finds as I go along. I'm thinking about taking the trip out to Adairsville (way up 75N) because there's a huge yarn shop up there. I'll let you know what I find.

Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever feel that you *have* to use a signature?

nytefalle.com/blog | nytefalle.etsy.com
divasteph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003 11:30:28 AM »

wow - yay another n. atlanta girl - too bad i don't knit or crochet - maybe you can teach me melissa -- i would totally adore that - if you have some extra time - i am dying to learn and i get lost with books - i need hands on teaching - so let me know if that would be possible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HardHipBone

www.strike-four.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003 12:25:29 PM »

Hey Girls!

I live in Atlanta as well and I would love to share cool places to buy crafty supplies.

Personally, I am really into sewing clothes. There is a great fabric store by the Lindberg Marta Station called Discount Fabrics. And across the street, there is a Hancock Fabrics and a Michael's.

If you're interested in stopping by one of these stores, let me know if you have trouble finding it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Type Tool in Illustrator CS3
How to Use the Undo Command in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Toolbox in InDesign CS3
How to Use the Zoom Tool in After Effects CS3
How to Use the Zoom Tool in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...