A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: drawing fluid method=oh nooooooo!!!!!  (Read 1296 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stajdaml
« on: September 20, 2004 08:49:25 AM »

I've been attempting to do silkscreening using my speedball kit. I've been using the drawing fluid method, and am having no luck. Whenever I apply the screen filler over the drawing fluid, the drawing fluid just disolves. And all of my hard work goes down the drain, literally, as I then have to wash everything out of the screen. It is really driving me crazy. This happens even after letting the drawing fluid dry for days.

Does anyone have any tips for me? I'm thinking of maybe spraying the screen filler onto the screen, using a pump spray bottle? Maybe this will be better than using the sqeegee (sp?). As it will be less agitation to the drawing fluid?

Help,
Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

april fool
-handmade bags and accessories-
http://www.iloveaprilfool.com
blendercrush
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004 09:01:58 AM »

I would skip the drawing fluid and just use the screen filler.  Lightly draw your design on the screen withy a pencil that's not too sharp (make sure the pressure is really light so that you don't puncture the screen)  Then use the screen filler with a paint brush and fill in the negative space.  The screen filler needs to be stirred really well because it tends to settle in the bottom.  I do not recommend putting it in a spray bottle.....you will have a mess and waste a lot of product.  If you are doing many pulls...you might need to touch up the screen filler...it tends to get pinholes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yousmellspecial
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004 10:58:38 AM »

i think your problem may be that you're overapplying the screen filler (SF). you should limit it to one pass over the drawing fluid (DF) with the filler, so that the DF doesn't dissolve. another problem may be that you're using too thin a layer of DF. so, practice getting one good layer of SF over the DF without having to go over it again and don't use too thin a layer of DF. here's a tip: it's important to only have one layer of SF in the areas where your image is. so you can just get that covered with your one pass and then if there are a lot of uncovered areas left in the sides (without DF in them), use a small piece of stiff cardboard or something similar to spread the excess SF on the screen towards the edges to fill it in. did that all make sense? i guess overall what's important is a lot of practice and trial and error.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lauren Conrad Joins Us for a Quick Beauty Gossip
How To Get A Defined Nude Lip
How To Make Lipstick Last All Day
Getting Rid Of Puffiness And Circles Under The Eyes
How To Protect And Youthen Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...