A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper Roses, with a very detailed (and pic obese) tutorial. Pics fixed.  (Read 393520 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , coffee_filter , rose , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aniraangel
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2007 04:20:08 PM »

Lovely! Cheesy they look like the ones off Martha Stuart xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2008 05:56:15 AM »

I used coffee filters, with coffee and tea to make mine, but I got a can of spray paint and sprayed the tips gold...
I had to make 50 of them for my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary party this summer. I wish I had a picture of the HUGE bunch of antique gold roses, but my grandmother wouldn't part with them long enough to let me take one. She LOVES them! They were only supposed to be decorations, but ended up being part of her gift, I guess...

Next time I go visit, I'll take pictures...I figure that with all the blisters and cuts I endured making these, I'm entitled to at least one shot, right? Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2008 06:38:41 AM »

50 of them? How long do they take to make?
and probably an obvious question, but i just want to make sure... if you colored the coffee filters with food dye or something, would you still be able to make it that nicely? We really don't drink coffee around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Staplegunned
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2008 03:26:36 PM »

Wow! That is effin sweet! Thanks for the tut too. I am definatly going to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Mike
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2008 05:04:33 PM »

I think you could probably dye them with whatever you wanted...but a small container of instant coffee is cheap, too (that's what I used, since I don't stock coffee in the house)
From beginning to end, each rose took me about 3 minutes. I also snipped the sharp end of the pins off with wire cutters, and added some floral wire, then wrapped all the way to the base to make them long-stem...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Raine_Dementia
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2008 11:20:36 AM »

First: Thank you SO much for posting this tutorial! I love this idea, and I immediately went out to go get coffee filters and start making these. My wedding is coming up in June, and these are perfect for decorations. I tried out the easter egg dye idea, though all I have are the tablet dyes, it works pretty well. This is my full attempt:

I've done four or five more since this, one is a smaller bloom I'm quite proud of, but I have no photos of those yet. Their all modelled after the roses in the first bouquet my fiancee bought for me. I wish I had the name of the exact type of rose they were, but they were gorgeous yellow/pink/orange/peach colors. I'm having the bridesmaids over today to run to Michaels and pick up some finer gauge wire, and possibly some cheap water colors. So, I should have more pics by tonight. I'll post them too if you guys want to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want rainbows, you must learn to live with the rain.
Babyangel
Photographer, mommy, late night crafter

I made the BEST OF 2007 with my love letter box!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2008 05:02:14 PM »

First: Thank you SO much for posting this tutorial! I love this idea, and I immediately went out to go get coffee filters and start making these. My wedding is coming up in June, and these are perfect for decorations. I tried out the easter egg dye idea, though all I have are the tablet dyes, it works pretty well. This is my full attempt:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/IMG_06851.JPG
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/IMG_06841.JPG

I've done four or five more since this, one is a smaller bloom I'm quite proud of, but I have no photos of those yet. Their all modelled after the roses in the first bouquet my fiancee bought for me. I wish I had the name of the exact type of rose they were, but they were gorgeous yellow/pink/orange/peach colors. I'm having the bridesmaids over today to run to Michaels and pick up some finer gauge wire, and possibly some cheap water colors. So, I should have more pics by tonight. I'll post them too if you guys want to see.
These turned out GORGEOUS!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raine_Dementia
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2008 07:09:53 PM »

Thanks! ^^ I've been working really hard on these.. As promised here are the next few shots, these are actually older ones I made, but I wasn't quite happy with the way my water color roses turned out today. It'll take a day to find a work flow with them...

First though, here is one made by one of my bridesmaids earlier this week:

As you can see she attempted leave, but with the filter being so thin and the easter egg dye being so light, it clashes with the stem a bit.

This one is mine, I did a more triangular job with the petals so they would form points to make it feel more like one of the antique roses my grandma used to have.

Here's the smaller one I was tallking about. It looked better when it was more closed, but a few of the petals shifted. I'll have to refold them a bit more before I can use them.

This rose was one I'd made with just plain white filters. It was one of our very first attempts. I made this and one of my bridesmaids painted while somehow magically keeping the petals from shifting. Personally, I much prefer painting the petals before I put them together, though. All my other roses were done by just painting the petals after I cut them out, and they have gone beautifully. I do give them a base coat of yellow or light orange dye before I cut them, though.

Hope you guys like them! If you want, I'll post more as we get closer to the wedding.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008 07:11:24 PM by Raine_Dementia - Reason: Copied the wrong link for the last two photos! Fixed now. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want rainbows, you must learn to live with the rain.
kynd_haze
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2008 07:30:45 PM »

Those are so beautiful, when I saw them I didn't even realize that they were filter flowers. I can't wait to see more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothings for certain, it could always go wrong,
We could have us a high time, living the good life, well I know.
karmaveranda
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2008 07:36:01 PM »

Raine, your roses are stunning! These will be wonderful wedding decorations. I love the washes in the colouring. They remind me of my mothers roses. Where will you use them in your wedding. . . tables, arches, cars?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
DIY Toaster Pastry Recipe
How To Make The Spicy Brunch Dish Chilaquiles
Belgian Buttermilk Waffle Recipe
How to Make Baby Leek and Mushroom Quiche for Easter Brunch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...