A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,214
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blank Slate Hand Warmers (now with pattern)  (Read 2352 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craft.geek
« on: November 22, 2006 05:02:36 PM »

http://static.flickr.com/99/303865504_f21dff9fae_o.jpg

I've finally finished the pattern for these plain hand warmers.  I really wanted some plain ones, that I could easily add designs to.  Hence the "blank slate".  I've actually only finished one hand warmer so far.  I will do the other one eventually, but I'm a bit over knitting after the drama of figuring out which bind off to use.  In the end, I settled on this one http://www.socknitters.com/Tips/stretchy.htm.  It has just the right amount of stretch.  

The shaping is really simple - just a thumb gusset.

It's summer down here in NZ, so who knows why I'm knitting hand warmers.  I guess I'll be well prepared for next winter!

I'm happy to write up the pattern if anyone wants it...  I'd do it now, but I'm hanging out for lazy afternoon nap Smiley
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011 05:34:12 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

inle_rah
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006 07:54:22 PM »

Nice job, and a good idea.  I always seem to end up doing cables for my handwarmers, but I love the idea of putting designs on them.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
april_cocaine
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006 10:13:09 AM »

i really love that colour! i'd love to see a pattern too, when you're feelin' less lazy Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curlyredheadgirl

Faith is the evidence of things not seen. Heb.11:1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006 01:03:17 PM »

Thats a nice "plain" pattern!! Perfect for many occasions and using up some stash. I'd love it if you'd post the pattern! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can never change the past. But by the gace of God, you can win the future. So, remember those things which will help you forward, but forget about the things which will only hold you back.

My Blog - http://curlyredheadgirl.blogspot.com/
have2craft
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006 03:08:39 PM »

Very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dee~
craft.geek
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006 04:52:25 PM »

Here is the pattern.  It's the first pattern I've ever written up, so feel free to ask me if it doesn't make any sense! 

I used 8 ply (or DK) yarn (I think its the same as light worsted in the US) and 3.75 mm (US size 5) dpns.

Gauge: 6 sts and 8 rows = 1 in St st.

I made these hand warmers to fit a medium sized womans hand (wrist: 6.5, hand minus thumb: 7.25).  They measure 7 from CO to BO.  From wrist to BO they measure 4. 

If you have shorter or smaller hands, it should be pretty easy to make the hand warmers smaller, by reducing the number of St st rows in between the increases for the thumb, and reducing the number of CO stitches (but make sure you still have a multiple of four).

Cuff:
CO 40 sts.  Divide over 3 dpns (I put 14 on two of the needles, and 12 on the other).
Join and work in 2x2 rib for 3. 

Work 4 rows St st.

Thumb Gusset:
Row 1: K4, pm, m1, m1, pm, k to end of row.
Row 2 & 3: St st.
Row 4: *K to marker, m1, k to next marker, m1, k to end of row.
Row 5 & 6: St st.
Rep. From * 5 times.  You should have 14 sts between the markers. 
Place gusset stitches on holder.

Finishing:
Join again work 4 rows St st. 
Work in 2x2 rib for 6 rows.

Bind Off:
I used this great stretchy bind off http://www.socknitters.com/Tips/stretchy.htm, which gives a bit more flexibility than a regular bind off, so that you can still use your fingers! 

For the first row before the bind off: *K2, M1 (by making a half-hitch loop, like in a single cast on, not by picking up the in between thread) P2, M1. Rep from * to end of round.   

Then bind off in pattern, making sure you slip the M1 rather than knitting it.  You can bind off using a larger needle if you are a tight knitter.

Thumb:
Divide the 14 holder sts between 3 dpns.
Pick up two more sts at the top of the thumb.  You should have 16 sts.
Work in St st for 2 rounds.
Work in 2x2 rib for 2 rounds.
Use the stretchy bind off as above. 

The second hand warmer will be exactly the same, unless you are putting some sort of design on it, in which case you will need to make sure the thumb gusset is on the opposite side.

Done!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2006 03:20:52 PM by bessie-s » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft.geek
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006 03:19:49 PM »

I realised in the middle of the night that I got the pattern wrong!  Sorry about that.  Embarrassed

For the thumb gusset, it's actually meant to be:

Row 4: *k to marker, m1, k to next marker, m1, k to end of row.
Row 5 & 6: St st.
Rep. From * 5 times. 

I'm sure many of you would have figured out what I meant, but as a pretty new knitter, it's the sort of thing that would have had me tearing my hair out!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit~It~Good
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006 04:05:20 PM »

I really like these, I knitted a pair of fingerless gloves with buttons but I messed up the placement of the button holes on the left glove. These you don't have to worry about that!! Thanks for the pattern!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold Your own MacBook Air Origami
How to Build a Helicopter from Paper
How to Make an Origami Barking Dog
How to Make Monster Sounds with the Click of a Button
Stunning Timelapse of Dense Fog Clouds Rolling Over Chicago
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...