A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for Exterior Christmas Decorations?  (Read 1010 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brightlights
« on: November 22, 2006 02:30:39 PM »

Come on guys, I need some help.
Decorating the inside of my house? no problem there.
The outside is another story.  I have multicoloured lights up and I have a wreath with white lights that I am going to decorate and I am going to wrap my two white pillars outside the front door with red ribbon to make them look like candy canes.
This is not enough!!!!  I have a window box that is about 6 inches wide and 6 feet long, that I want to decorate.  Any ideas for what can go in it?
And I want something that can sit on the ground by the front door (probably about a 2 foot square area).  I was going to get a mini tree but there aren't any plugs I could use for lights.
I need some crafty ideas, because when I go to the store to buy decorations, the plastic tackiness just doesn't say Christmas to me.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006 01:34:39 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kacarrol
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006 05:18:35 PM »

My mother and I always go out to the country and collect pine and cedar boughs. We also clip branches off of these shrubs that have a kind of reddish tinge. They grow in swampy areas, I have heard someone refer to them as sumac. (I live in Ontario)

We take all the boughs and stuff and arrange them in a planter that normally has coleus and stuff in the summer (a round urn shaped vessel) The red branches go in the middle because they are taller.

We wrap the boughs around posts and wire them to the railings and tuck them in other planters.

Then get a couple of packages of cranberries and string them on thread and drape them around. Sometimes the birds eat them, that makes it really pretty to have birds all over the place.

You could also try making candle holders out of ice...I think I saw a Martha Stewart magazine or website with these.

Well that was a bit long, hope it helps

K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alhrayth
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006 12:37:14 PM »

My favourite decoration for my home is actually something I have outside, on the balcony's railings... I took inspiration from how they use to decorate the outside of houses in northern Italy or sud - Tirol and I did my own way....
first there are several shoeboxes I wrapped in shiny paper - red and green -  and then in layers of transparent plastic with tape covering all the possible openings do that water doesn't get it, and I put some ribbons on - basically I made biiiiig gift boxes and I tied those on the railing, leaving some empty areas. (I've been using the same boxes for three years already so I know that they last a lot!).
In the empty bits, last year I added three big wooden cutouts  of an ice skate (that's a bit of my life, I work in an ice rink!), a gingerbread man and a snowman - I drew the pictures on wood, cut them out and painted & sealed them, and then made holes from which to anchor them to the railings.
Then on top of the railing there's a double strand of exterior fairy lights (pretty big ones, actually) which gives a lovely glow to the balcony... I love coming back home during the Holidays!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dolphingirl
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006 08:49:59 AM »

Have you ever heard of ice-lamps? (or similar)
Of course it depends on how cold it is where you live, but they are rather simple to make and SO cheap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photography Lighting Techniques Part 2/2
Six Lies About Digital Photography
Photography Lighting Techniques Part 1/2
How to use a light meter
How to Work with Natural light
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...