A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kiln question  (Read 1416 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funkensteins
« on: November 22, 2006 08:30:44 AM »

There is a used kiln for sale in my area, but I have never bought a kiln before. My experience with pottery is limited and from long ago. Here is a link to the ad:

I took out the link because the seller never responded anyway. But I am still curious if burn marks on the outside of a kiln are normal

It looks like it has burn marks on the outside. Is that normal, or a safety hazard? Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006 06:13:47 PM by funkensteins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008 09:39:52 AM »

This is an old question, but it looked so lonely here in the new forum with no replies, so I figured I'd answer it. Smiley

I think if the kiln fires okay, then the burn marks are probably just a remnant from a past firing that had something that caught fire in it. I know the lid of my kiln is grey around the edges from stuff burning out of the clay, and mine is vented, even.

I've never bought a used kiln, but if I did, it probably wouldn't hurt to have a kiln expert come and replace the elements and check it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
StoryBook

I play in the mud EVERY day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008 04:51:48 PM »

I would think as long as the fire-bricks are all intact, and the elements all fire, then you have a good prospect.  Check the kiln-sitter and see that the cone supports are in good shape and the sitter arm looks good. (no cone chunks or anything else stuck to it)

Both my kilns were purchased used, and have given me reliable service so far.  Replaced a few elements, and one kiln bottom in the last 7 years, but that about all.  (fingers crossed)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand Crafted Heirloom Quality Ceramics
StoryBook Ceramics

MudPuppy Molds and Bisque Shop
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008 05:36:56 PM »

GAH! I just posted a bit about how one replaces elements on another thread...should have read this first! I don't suppose you could give me a few pointers on how to fix my monster Scutt? The elements broke in a couple of places during the last move, and the sitter has disappeared (probably fell apart when the 'professionals' moved it).

Storybook - If you are interested in helping out a fellow mudder, please shoot me a PM. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
chum
Just Craft!

Can't Deny, Computer Geek

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008 11:51:59 AM »

I am looking to purchase a used or new kiln for small projects (bowls, plates, cups, small pots) that can fire up to cone 10.
Are there any suggestions or recommendations for me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything has beauty, it is just how we choose to see it.
paintindiva
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008 04:51:45 PM »

You can call Skutt directly and they will help you with replacing the parts.  You can also order what you need from them.   I did find some directions online as well.   Most of the part replacing is pretty basic. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KeLLeY
cookieclaygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009 11:52:31 AM »

L&L also sells "dinged" kilns at very reduced prices.  be sure to check them out too in  your kiln searches.  also, pottery shops that are going out of business are good to lurk too   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Blowout Hairstyles
African American Hair: Mohawk Hairstyle, Foxy Rihanna Mohawk
Hair Highlighting Tips - Aftercare
Highlighting Part Hair and Applying Color
How to Prepare for Hair Highlighting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...