A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: can can dancer costime help!  (Read 3535 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lalipourie
mer meow?!

Tee Hee...

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2004 11:31:45 PM »

Hi,  so I decided that I no longer want to look like a lamo for Halloween and want to make my own costume!  So my best friend and I decided that we want to be can-can dancers.  I tried looking up pictures for ideas.  I also watched Moulin Rouge  Wink to get ideas and I really like the the costumes are crazy and sexy.  Has anyone got any more ideas, pictures, patterns or anything that can help?  I have considered maybe reconstructing a dress I have but I am not sure if that will work.  Any help will be appreciated!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they're still beautiful.<br />Alice Walker
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004 08:34:39 AM »

I think a nice, simple formal dress pattern a la 1980s would do the trick.  Something with no waist line, that goes straight from a fitted bodice to a circle-type skirt.  Make the skirt with a ruffle, and make sure it's about mid-calf, then do up a bunch of crinolines about 3 inches longer, so they show out from under the skirt.  Give it some puffy sleeves that come down just above the elbow with a nice ruffle and bow, a deep v or princess neckline, and make it in red satiny material with white or black skirts.  Make sure you've got pantaloons underneath!

Simplicity pattern 5006 might work, though it HAS a waist, it's a nice dropped waist with a corset-like feel.  It doesn't have sleeves, though.

You could go dig through some patterns at the thrift stores and I bet you'd find a ton that would work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004 09:34:09 AM »

http://www.moulinrouge.fr/html_gb/frameset_backstage_shoe.htm
Here's a pic of the costume they're currently wearing for the can-can segment at the Moulin Rouge - so corset-like top (maybe cheap lingerie store?) and mid-calf length circle skirt with ruffles all over the inside.  Seamed tan fishnet tights, heeled granny boots, and feathers in the hair!  (the red white and blue are for the colors of the French flag)  Oh and they have ruffled bloomers that are about mid-thigh length (can't really see them in this picture)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004 01:13:44 PM »

Yeah, I was basing my waist-less dress with poofy sleeves off a vintage poster.  See here:
http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/posters/a_la_cigale_revue2.htm

Personally, I LOVE that look.  The newer one Meli posted is a little too show-girl for me.  I like the more authentic turn of the century style.  But, the newer version is MUCH easier to accomplish, I think.  The pattern I posted above would work VERY well for the new look.  Meanwhle, here's more inspiration for the older look:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Museum/Posters/Entertainers/Moulin_Rouge

I love the poster of the yellow dressed woman.  In the photo's you can see some corset-style tops were used, and the posters show a more streamlined, seamed look, but I think the photos and posters are of slightly different vintages.  The photos are victorian, the posters more Art Nouveau, which would be about 10-20 years later.  The art nouveau style is simply lovely, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004 02:05:14 PM »

i was going for a can-can/saloongirl/whorehouse look when i made this skirt set, mini-fied of course.  the bottom skirt is just plain black cotton with an elastic waist, and then a few rows of ruffled black tulle with lace trim.  The top layer was a flat strip with corset lacing for the waist band and then two ruffled layers coming off of that, and they are cut at a bit of an angle to open in the front to show the underskirt.  it was pretty simple, and if you lengthened it, it might work for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004 07:44:57 PM »

Ooh!  Dig the skirts on this puppy!

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/mccallspatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.400003674=x&TI=40020&pageNum=8&M=&UK=34171578
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004 08:17:36 PM »

NICE! lothruin..those are perfect....too bad I dont have anything to dress up for...I'd totally make those.....(what am I thinking? I dress up just to do regular around the house stuff)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Lalipourie
mer meow?!

Tee Hee...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004 11:38:51 PM »

thanks peoples! Cheesy  I have more hope of actually looking good this Halloween!  O I am excited.  I better get started soon.  Thanks  again!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they're still beautiful.<br />Alice Walker
auzzi
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004 04:54:03 PM »

i was wondering, would the skirt part just be a circle skirt with ruffles? how do the ruffles work? are they attached to thecircle skirt or are there multiple skirts underneath? help would be appreciated! i too am being a moulin-rouge (the movie) style can can dancer. i have the boots, the fishnets and the long black gloves only...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigerEyes
Super Flirt! *wink*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004 06:03:16 PM »

I'm actually making A from that pattern for Halloween myself.  I'm third of the way done.  Cutting all of that lace and tracing the pattern lines for the petticoat is a bitch though!  I'll post pictures as soon as I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I get sh*t done!
mreld
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004 08:45:10 AM »

i made a can-can/bordello costume a couple years ago. i just found a long flowy skirt at goodwill and sewed layers of lace on the underside, bought a corset at hot topic, and a wig and a sparkly tophat at a costume store. top it off with high heeled shoes (found at goodwill), some fishnets, frilly underwear, and makeup and voila! can-can dancer  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little corner of the internet: http://theknacksofnic.blogspot.com/
Lalipourie
mer meow?!

Tee Hee...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004 12:07:51 AM »

YAY!  Ok tomarrow is Halloween and I actually followed through this time!  I made a costume using a couple of patterns and lots of pics from online to get a better idea of the look I wanted.  I had lots of help from my mommy (she saved me many times from freaking out Cheesy!)  Yeah it was hard but I love what I have so far! I have already warn it twice and will post pictures and a better description later!  HUrrah  Grin.

PS.  Thanks again for everyone's help and I would love to see what you all came up with too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Candy Cane Nails
3 Spices That Speed Up Your Metabolism
Dazzle Her with Diamonds This Holiday
Easy & Festive Holiday Beauty Tutorials
Holiday Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...