A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are your favorite baby-friendly yarns?  (Read 2863 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazydoglady

I'm dating... and it comes with snacks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006 09:11:33 AM »

I would recommend knitting a test swatch out of your cotton yarn, and then washing it. I am noting the irony here, since this is something I have never done myself. BUT! I have knit many baby things lately (I'm knocked up and a good friend had a baby last week) and I was amazed at how much softer the cotton things I made were after they were washed. So give it a try and see how it goes...

Also, another trick I just tried for the first time yesterday that I am now in love with: add a small bit of conditioner (yes, like hair conditioner) to the rinse cycle of your washing machine. That really softens things up, too.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jlyarnworks
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006 10:53:58 PM »

Cotton Fleece is all I use. It's made by Brown Sheep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teddybr218
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006 01:04:39 PM »

I use the cottontots to make hats for the hospital all the time.  I love the way it knits up.  Now, that means that I have never seen it after it has been washed.  But I do love the way it makes up and it feels as i am working with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenOfThieves
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006 09:46:13 AM »

Okay, I guess my first post wasn't clear enougj\h.  Wink I really despise cotton. I won't use it. At all. Tongue But I have managed to find a great yarn substitute! It's Nashua Handknits' Vignette. It's made of 100% supewash wool and the color is Distant Mountains. It's basically a braided yarn that's very dark randbow shades that just sort of blend into each other. REALLY gorgeous and it's coming along great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006 10:21:01 AM »

Keep in mind, though, that cotton and wool have an entirely different drape.  Cotton will give you crisp stitch definition.  Wool does not, at least not in the same way.  Depending on what you're making, this may or may not be a big deal.  (For a cabled sweater, it would be.  Basic raglan, maybe not.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
jlyarnworks
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006 11:10:58 AM »

I like acrylics (my favorite is Caron's Simply Soft)...but not for baby items. Call me paranoid, but have you ever seen the way acrylic burns? If not, take a lighter to the end of a piece of acrylic yarn. After I did that, I stopped using acrylic for babies and toddlers.

Wool is a great choice for that reason. It stops burning on its own and just turns what's already burned to ash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jaynesmama
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006 08:56:12 AM »

What kind of yarns are good to use? Their skin is so sensitive! I want to make a hat and mitten set and I hate all those pastel colors you see in the "baby" yarns (I love bright colors on my baby!) ...any suggestions??? Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006 09:03:26 AM »

I like Mission Falls cotton. It comes in a variety of muted colors, is super soft, and has a great nubby texture.  I've made a ton of baby hats out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
riverside knitter
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006 10:52:12 AM »

I just finished a round pinwheel blanket in CottonTots and am very happy with the results.  It's super soft and has a wonderful drape.  I've also made a bunch of baby things with TLC Cotton Plus that I've been very pleased with.  I found this yarn to be quite nice to knit with and good on the budget, plus it's available in nicer colors than standard baby yarn.  Schoeller Fortissima cotton is also nice for baby socks - super soft and you can get about 3 pairs out of a skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Waterfall Braid Tutorial
Celebrity Inspired Hair For the Summer
4 Glam Ways to Wear a Hair Wrap
6 Tips For Gorgeous Hair at Any Age
How to Do a High Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...