A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitting for the men in your life...??  (Read 2801 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 22, 2006 07:17:48 AM »

i've just started to knit again... woo hoo!!

my question is: what have been your favorite items to knit for boys/men?? my son is 11 (will be 12 in feb) and my husband is 36. they are both simple guys. i'd love to knit them a million things, but i want to make sure they'll wear them.

tia, and looking forward to see some patterns
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
crazydoglady

I'm dating... and it comes with snacks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006 07:50:32 AM »

I'll start off by saying that knitting for men is hard - they seem to like simple patterns in relatively neutral (read: dull) colors, which means the knitting can get rather monotonous. With that caveat...

Socks seem to go over quite well in my family. I've made a pair for my FIL (55) and my DH (27), and both pairs get worn quite a bit. In fact, hubby's youngest brother (who's 14) actually requested a pair of handknit socks for Christmas this year. I'm knitting his pair of out Knitpicks Essential Tweed, and man is that yarn soft! Hubby likes them so much that he's got a request in for his own pair after the holidays. (We won't mention that they're knit on size 0 needles, and men seem to have ginormous feet  Roll Eyes)

Scarves are also a good bet. Hubby has one made out of some incredibly soft yarn that's just black and in a basic garter stitch, but he loves it. For Christmas this year FIL is getting the Here and There cables scarf out of Scarf Style. (Details here)

One other thought - if they are bike riders, I've always thought that the bike helmet ear warmers (scroll down to find them) would make a great man-gift.

Good luck!

Sammie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megaknits
mega(k)nits

do you like it?? i like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006 08:00:57 AM »

I knit the Zippered Men's Raglan from Last Minute Knitted Gifts for my husband. This project can only be defined as a labor of love. I don't think I'll be knitting him another sweater for a long, long time. You can read about my misadventures with the sweater on my blog. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meriellyn
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006 08:19:16 AM »

Socks. Everyone loves handknit socks!
I've started getting requests for gloves too.
None of the men in my life will be getting anything sweater sized anytime soon. ;P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006 08:20:56 AM »

Check out knitty.com's Knit Like a Man http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATspr06KLM.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeadDisco
I'm the ne plus ultra, of B+ cultcha'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006 08:38:56 AM »

You can't go wrong with mittens or socks. I made the BF mittens three years ago out of cheapie acrylic, and he still uses them to this day. The thing about scarves for dudes is, not every guy is of the scarf-wearing persuasion and the best thing about knitting for other people is that you get to see your FOs in use. I have yet to meet a man that doesn't wear socks. Mittens and socks are also nice because they're challenging knits, but also quick. Melanie Falick's book Handknit Holidays has some good patterns, also knitty.com. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

landry
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006 08:53:17 AM »

Hats, hats, and more hats!

Everytime I offer to knit something for my boyfriend, he requests another beanie/toque.  Tongue A good basic pattern in which you can customize the intarsia pattern into anything he might like (e.g. sports team logo, video game icon) is this one: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flickr photos + + knitting pictures
livejournal + + knitting and other blog-worthy stuff
currently  + + crazy over twinkle's big city knits
brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006 09:02:16 AM »

Check out knitty.com's Knit Like a Man http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATspr06KLM.html

i just read that article... it's hysterical!!! Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006 09:16:02 AM »

I have yet to meet a man that doesn't wear socks.

*raises hand* I have!  He's a Minnesotan who usually doesn't have anything on his feet--even in winter, with snow on the ground!--unless required by law to have shoes (he'll usually forego socks for Birkenstocks).  LOL, but all y'all know your significant others best. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006 09:24:55 AM »

One of my proudest crafting accomplishments ever: last winter I learned how to knit (very basic stuff here-- I am still at scarf with no pattern level -- lol) and I made my husband a black wool scarf. 

My hubby, who is normally very supportive of my crafts, said it was nice, but he'd probably never wear it.  (He's a very "name brand" kind of guy.)  This was the case until the real New England cold hit, and then he decided he'd "try it" one day-- I didn't see him without it for the rest of the winter!   Grin 

So my recommendation is scarves!  They might grumble about them at first, but they'll appreciate them later.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
First Date Outfit Tips
How to Style the Perfect Prom Outfit
Wear 1 Army Jacket 5 Ways Like Jessica Alba
5 Summer Looks For Less Than $100
Putting Together an Easy Bohemian Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...