A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,672
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: more ongoing clothing sizing angst *sigh*  (Read 437 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« on: November 21, 2006 07:46:56 PM »

i'm trying to design some stuff, so was looking up standard american sizing (i'm australian, but other than different numbers to mark the size, i think we use the same proportions) and... argh!
leaving aside the whole 'doesn't reflect modern women' issue... i'm confused by 'misses' and 'women's' sizing. to me, misses would be teenage girl sizing, but the actual sizing numbers and measurements are (approximately) those of adults, while the smallest 'women's' size would be swimming on me(38 inch bust... uh no)! so.... just to check... most american women wear clothing in misses sizing, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006 08:01:58 PM »

Yah... women's really is more like plus size... fat sizes. I wear an 18/20.

Years ago, misses sizes were for a taller figure, and women's sizes were more short-waisted and larger-hipped. But they changed RTW sizes around 1990 and now I'm not sure of the differences.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006 08:15:48 PM »

"Juniors" would be the teenage girl sizing.  I would think that aside from Misses and Women's sizing actually using different measurements (like an 18 and an 18W would be different), there might also be extra ease in Women's patterns, assuming (correctly or incorrectly) that plus sized figures don't want as tight of a fit.  I could be wrong, though.  I've found even misses patterns tend to have a lot of ease -- by my measurements I am between an 18 and a 20 (misses), but often a 16 fits me best.  Well, good luck!  It is rather confusing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006 09:20:27 PM »

There used to be a big diff between misses and women's. Unfortunately, the W designation is most commonly found in larger sizes. They are not proportioned the same as misses. I hate that, because the misses proportions were much better for me.

Junior sizes are basically a little smaller in the bust than misses, maybe a smidge smaller in the waist. They usually come in hipper styles than the misses do.

Young juniors are the reallly small early-teen sizes, for when you grow out of girls but don't yet fill out the junior/miss sizes.

This may help:  http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=section/fittips/meas_charts/EI_measchar.htm#junior
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006 09:57:22 PM »

Junior sizing usually smaller in the bust and hips then misses' sizes.  Junior's are meant for early teens to, possibly, early 20's, but unfortunately, I see too many 40-50-somethings shopping in that section. 
Misses sizes are for your normal, average, sizes.  Womens, like others have stated, are for us big women.

Sorcha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006 01:22:15 AM »

right. coz here the 'junior' section of the shop would be called the 'misses' section... as in, to designate the place with younger styled clothing.

just frustratingly misleading names.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006 02:02:35 AM »

lupinbunny,

Australia and US don't have the same sizing guide.  Our Australian Size 10 is more equivalent to a US Size 4.

UK sizes are closer to ours than the US ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006 02:15:35 AM »

lupinbunny,

Australia and US don't have the same sizing guide.  Our Australian Size 10 is more equivalent to a US Size 4.

I'm American, and when I come to Australia, I just shop for the next size up. In the States, I would wear 10, so in Australia, I get twelve.

Juniors in the States is like the sizing in Supre in Australia...for young people, with not completely developed figures. Women's in the States are for plus sizes...built along the more generous lines. Most people do shop in the Miss's section, if they are average size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talmina
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006 03:22:23 AM »

lupinbunny,

I thought Lupinbunny was saying that our sizes are proportionally the same as US sizes of different numbers, there was definately an acknowledgement of a different numbering system there.  But yes, UK sizes are a pretty close match from what I can work out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How it Felt to Butcher a 700 Pound Steer
Introduction to Vibrato on Violin
Vibrato Exercise on the Violin - Sound Waves
How to Play My Tractors Sexy on Violin Fiddle
How to Play The Adams Family Song on Violin
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...