A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Magic Yarn Ball Round 2  (Read 38163 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Radioactivecrafter
« Reply #230 on: December 15, 2006 07:30:11 AM »

Oh, what thrummed mitten pattern is that?  It looks like the Yarn Harlot's.

Nope, it is from interweave knits, I think the most recent issue. I seems that the main difference is that in the Yarn Harlots pattern you knit the thrum and the regular yarn at the same time, where with this, you just knit the thrum then carry the main yarn behind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #231 on: December 15, 2006 11:01:01 AM »

There are some great pics in here! The purple and lime thrummed mittens are wild, in a good way.

I'm really regretting biting the grasshopper. That should teach me to attack a magic yarn ball after driving for two days (and that after two exams). It also explains the quality of the pics.

This was the ball's initial appearance. An accompanying note explained that the pink yarn was just to help keep everything inside. The thing on top is the electronic music  box gadget.

I tried to explain the swap concept to my dad. He summed it up as "so you have to look for people on the internet to send this to, because it's so weird and there are so few of you?" I told him to pose with the ball...

Felon checks it out...

This is how it looked underneath the pink. Excuse the blur! There are flowers sticking out everywhere I look. The yarn is green with earth tone boucle, so it took me a while to figure out where the yarn was! It all just blended together into this cool, organic looking mass.

I'm staying strong and knitting things out. Here's my progress as of this morning:

So far I have uncovered a lot of flowers, some fairy tears (what I call the colored flattened glass marble things) in great colors, a bunch of removable stitch markers, an ill-fated grasshopper figurine (visible on the left of the pic), a little piece of mexican (probably?) candy (I grew up in L.A. and fruit + chili powder candies were a staple of my childhood, good call!), a crocheted earring (still looking for the mate), a super-swank plastic button, and a... thing...

Eenodol's note said "p.s. that "thing"? it's a candlering Smiley" I asked my dad to read it to make sure I was reading right, and he agreed that it said candlering. "But I don't know what a candlering is." "Well, when you find "that 'thing'", you'll know." I found SOMEthing. A metal star covered in crocheting. A christmas tree ornament maybe? But it's definitely a "thing" so maybe it's the candlering.

I really wish I had some brains left for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #232 on: December 15, 2006 11:04:05 AM »

a candle ring sits there, with a candle (usually a pillar one) in the middle.

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 15, 2006 11:40:51 AM »

I wasn't able to participate in this swap, but I had to pop in and let Ms. Violaceous know I thought her post was hilarious.  Your dad has that same look on his face my dad gets when I show him the stuff I make and send out.   Tongue 

This swap looks like it was alot of fun.  Any word of a Round 3 in the New Year?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

« Reply #234 on: December 15, 2006 11:50:50 AM »

PRETTY DOG!!

this magic yarn ball stuff looks cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ms.scarlett
The Crafty DJ

I'm falling up

« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2006 02:53:59 PM »

I have emerged from the deep, dark corners of the library to say that everyone has the most amazing stuff ever!!!!!  I will probably take a closer look once I finish the very end of the stuff I have to do.  I will try and post pictures of the lovely stuff librarylass sent me.

Ms. Sally, my friends at Seton Hall thank you very much for feeding them some chocolate today!  I am getting more people hooked on Smarties! Yes!  I would also like to say that I absolutely adore my yarn and my headband.  How ever did you know that I wanted a nice headband for my unruly mop of hair?  I love everything, thank you ever so much my Aussie lass....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paramedic: Only one person can ride.
Dean: I'm the father...
Patrick: I'm the boyfriend...
Mitch: [points to Dean] I'm HIS boyfriend.

hehe....i knit in class
super geek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

« Reply #236 on: December 15, 2006 06:20:07 PM »

Here is my great yarn ball!:

Here's what I got in the package.  Notice the headband wrapping around it and the things poking out.  What could they be?

Here's everything that was inside.

Here's the big, thick headband. 

Close up of the great poly stitch markers!  I love these things!!

The little jar, stitch markers, and jewelry!  Yum1

Close up of the little journal.

Thanks so much knitormiss, I love it all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: December 16, 2006 12:57:35 AM »

Oh, wow, such cool yarn balls!  I'm so amazed at everyone who's actually knitting their surprises out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
milwjamie
« Reply #238 on: December 16, 2006 11:54:09 AM »

I received my fabulous yarn ball from Instar last night!!! It was super exciting to come home from a long and exhausting day at work to find my boyfriend had brought a package in for me!!!!

Here is the yarn ball all rolled up, look how pretty the yarn is!! Love the color!! It also fades from black to a deep maroon to a rust-ish color to a brighter orange, and there are bits of green in it too!! Super pretty!! For those curious, the yarn is Noro Kureyon color number 128 (it is 100% wool too!) There were a few items on the outside--the AWESOME ladybug massager (said boyfriend will have to give me a massage with it later!!!), some yummy sounding chocolate candies called Smarties (way different from the super sugary smarties I'm used to!), and a tube of lip balm that smells divine!! And the pattern is an awesome felted bag that I cannot wait to start making!!! (hehe and Instar, when you get your package, we think alike!)

Here are all the goodies inside the ball!! I couldn't wait to unroll it!!
The very core of the ball held a felted soap which is really neat! I have never had one before, but it totally has intregued me and now I want to try making them! Also inside the ball is a beautiful small skein of handspun yarn! I believe Instar made this yarn herself, and it is so lovely! It would make a great coin purse for the purse pattern she sent, or perhaps it could be crafted into some jewelry?? A crocheted choker might me cool.
Also a ton of tootsie roll pops (which I LOVE), and a partner for the lip balm outside the ball, which smells equally as yummy as the other!!
She also crafted me some stitch markers which I desperetely needed, some beautiful jewelry, and the coolest necklace I have ever seen in my life!!!! It is a necklace made from a bicycle cog, with wire wrapped so it looks so neat!!!! I LOVE it!!!! It will look so hot with a fancy dress, to give it tons of edge!

Thanks Instar!!! You totally spoiled me with all the goodies!! I love them all so much!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006 12:03:39 PM by milwjamie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #239 on: December 17, 2006 05:55:49 AM »

I knitted everything out. I told eenodol that I was going to wait and post pictures after I could take an "action shot" of the hat while I was wearing makeup, but it's going to be like a week before I have to wear makeup again, so I caved. Plus, I'm procrastinating.

Eenodol sent me a lovely pattern of a cabled hat with a funky bind-off, but I like to be weird, so I started out following the pattern (with the way cool horizontal garter stitch headband) and wound up going in an entirely different direction, winging some decreases to keep it rounded and close to my head. It fits like a cloche. Some of the fake flowers match the colors in the yarn perfectly, so when I get back to the state my hot glue gun is in, I'm going to make a pin of some kind. I took the photo with the flowers sitting as I may arrange them.

I also arranged just about everything from the ball for a big group photo. Missing are the pieces of candy I ate already, and the little music making thing which decided to hide somewhere. Waitaminute! It's hiding under that yellow daisy in the corner! (Seriously, I didn't see that until I opened the picture back up to catalog everything.)

Visible in the pic:
- A whole pile of fake flowers.
- The pink outer yarn and the remainder of the main yarn.
- Hat!
- Pez.
- Foam stamps, a snail and an octopus. I have been wanting to get some stamps to try and experiment with making my own print cloth using procion dyes. These are very cute.
- Candle. Scent not yet determined. It smells like something though.
- Tragic grasshopper and his turtle friend.
- Purple sharpie.
- Purple glitter paint.
- Purple sculpy.
- Pair of AWESOME OPOSSUM buttons. I'm going to go take a closeup of these just because I love them so. Now that I have a matching pair, I think I shall make a pair of gloves that button at the wrist to use them.
- Package of googly eyes. Can always use more googly eyes.
- Dinosaur buttons. These are so cute! They even have little sawgrass buttons to help set the scene.
- Purple on purple crocheted pouch. The colors are so pretty in life! I think this will hold tampons in my purse.
- Mexican candy that yet survives.
- Peppermint bubble tape (holiday special edition thing).
- OMG scissors! These little babies fold up and have a loop on one end. I'm going to make a knitting bag zipper pull like the one that was linked earlier in the thread, and these will go at the end.
- The ribbon! My FAVORITE! This has the most awesome cooking themed print, with mushrooms and wooden spoons and love. It's great. I wore it in my hair the night I got it out of the ball.
- The candle ring, textured yarn crocheted over a metal star.
- Pile of super spiffy fairy tears. The picture doesn't do their colors justice.
- Pile of stitch markers.
- Crocheted earrings. I think that these along with the pointsettia type fake flowers will find a temporary home on the christmas tree! The yarn has some sparkle to it.
- Musical doodad hiding under the daisy.

And now for some closeups:

Thank you so much for everything, eenodol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF MODELS: "TOP 100" - Iekeliene Stange
VF MODELS: "TOP 100" - Rianne Ten Haken
VF MODELS: "TOP 100" - Heather Marks
New Year Beauty Resolutions
Beauty Resolutions to Keep in 2015
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...