A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Magic Yarn Ball Round 2  (Read 30897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2006 08:41:51 PM »

Oh, my yarn ball couldn't have arrived on a better day. I was betting sicker and sicker and was bored in my room. I got the ball and my little visitor at the same time! Here is the ball, as well as an extra suprise; handpicked cotton, with pods and everything! Theo T. Bear was a bit excited to help me I think!

Oh Theo! You're so helpful!

And here is the whole haul, sans bear. I love it all, and have used/eaten a lot already.

Contents;
* 5 awesome gel pens in insanely pretty colors (it's all I'm using for the next week)
* 2 lovely soaps. I assume they smell wonderful since I love lavender and lily of the valley. I will know for sure once my nose unclogs itself.
* lots of candies; chocolate, suckers (2 skull shaped), sweettarts....yum!
* chocolate chai tea...how did you know this is one of my faves?
* brown buttons
* cappachino lip balm, already heavily used
* 2 sets of hot dish holders, a towel holder and 2 knitted dishrags. All so wonderfully made! It'll be hard to use them the first time.
* 2 small balls of black yarn, and one of watercolor yarn. I requested scraps to make my own version of the Mondrian coffee press cozy on crochetme.

Thank you much Craftydeb, you made this sicky feel much better! Once I polish off a few Christmas gifts, it's coffeepress cozy time for me!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011 02:47:35 AM by Phizzychick - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordp ress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2006 03:48:48 AM »

I am really glad you liked everything - The lollipops - and candy - I tried to send in twos for you and the man - okay the lollipops - those are my kids favorites - 2 are color & flavor changing and 2 are tongue painting.  I am soooo glad that I found a place that carries those!

Here is a pic of the cotton boll - I sent one in its entirety just so you could see what it actually looks like on the plant - and the cotton part hangs down ...

You said you wanted cotton so I picked some cotton...Hopefully you will be able to use it to practice spinning - fresh cotton does have a  lot of stuff in it - bits of leaves, seeds, etc.

If for some reason you run short, just give me a shout and I will have to send you a miniyarnball to finish the job - the buttons I picked out from my stash thinking they reminded me of coffee - with cream which I thought were perfect - 5 for the coffee press and one for the matching much cozy...
 I can't wait to see the finished product - please post up pics when your press is all dressed up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
RubyTuesday
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2006 04:57:13 AM »

wow that was one big yarn ball Grin and a wonderful mix of goodies Smiley

crafty deb, the cotton is amazing, did you grow it yourself?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2006 07:27:43 AM »

No, I am not the cotton grower although I am thinking of putting in a few plants this spring - just for ornamental value - the bolls are actually worth a bit for crafting as long as they are harvested before it rains.  Field cotton is harvested by a machine.  The road I live on has a lot of cotton fields still - slowly they are all selling and developments are being put where the cotton was - my development included.

Nope.  I just drove around and tried to find a field that had a farmhouse next to it - and stopped, rang the bell and asked permission to pick some.  The lady was really nice although she wasnt' the owner of the field but told me that she was sure it was alright since it had already been harvested - the machine that picks the cotton is like a giant vacuum that sucks it off the plant - but it only gets the cotton that is just hanging on by a string more or less and alot is left behind.  She said it isn't cost effective to do a second pass so they just leave it, then mow it then till it into the field. 

I got lucky.  The field I picked from was mowed like 2 days later!  There is still one field left - but the farmhouse looks pretty scary so I am hesitant to ask if I can go pick.

I thought it was a cool thing to include for someone who said they wanted cotton.. okay, maybe freshly picked cotton wasn't the goal but I still thought it was a cool thing to do on an afternoon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2006 07:38:47 AM »

Just because I have a picture of it.... here's the magic yarn blob that ate Milwaukee that I sent to VampireBunny

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011 02:51:09 AM by Phizzychick - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2006 07:52:59 AM »

Gah! how come I didn't see this thread yet? Whew! At least I haven't missed too too much (except for the Great To-Unwind-Or-Not-Debate). The cotton bolls are really, really cool and those are some great yarn balls!

Personally, I plan to unwind as soon as I can get it out of the box. Smiley  Mainly because during the last round, BlondieKate sent me a yarn football so packed full of loveliness that it was seriously heavy and would have been difficult to use wihout unwinding it first. Also, I wanted to travel with it.*

*Also, I really really don't want to wait.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
thetiniestspark
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2006 08:22:08 AM »

I figured I would post a pic of my yarn blob as well, since I know my partner has seen at least that much. Smiley

I thought it looked like an egg, so I added a bird to watch over it. Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2006 08:45:10 AM »

wow that yarn looks so sparkly - what kind of yarn did you send?

great shots of all the blobs guys!  I can't wait to see what's in them.. so come on and do some posting!  I am starving for action shots here!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
missamorphosis
"The man who has no imagination has no wings."~ Muhammad Ali

Butterflies, Buttons, & Crochet--ah, life is good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2006 09:01:17 AM »

I figured I would post a pic of my yarn blob as well, since I know my partner has seen at least that much. Smiley

I thought it looked like an egg, so I added a bird to watch over it. Haha.

It does look like an egg. Cheesy I was going to post a picture of it today, but you beat me to it. I'll post what's in it later on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shade Tree Crochet (crochet/craft blog)
Stitch-Stirrers - prompts and other fun things for the crocheter
ozarkcat
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2006 09:04:58 AM »

Cotton's not hard to spin, even with the stuff on it - just like wool with a lot of veggie matter. I'd probably spin it either on a supported spindle (or just put the end of your spindle in a bowl) or on a wheel with the tension turned _way_ down, so that it doesn't slip out of your hands. You can grow it in pots if you don't have a garden - I found an internet site about a lady who did that. Some people spin it right off the seed, and I've got instructions around here somewhere on it, but I find it easier to work the seed loose & then spin the bol.

We're looking at getting into growing cotton here next year, hopefully some green.

Out of curiousity, is it a long or short fiber? I've got some that's an upland variety that's short (3/4-1"), but I'd love to get a couple bols & some seeds for longer fiber varieties, have angora, alpaca, llama & wool I'd be happy to trade for . . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cathi

We do personal swaps:
Handmade soaps, candles, fiber art, and more:
http://mistymanormercers.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Create a Recycling Bin for Newspapers
Holiday Garland Decorations 101
How to Make a Christmas-Tree Table Topper
Professional-Looking Holiday Flower Containers
Felt Wine-Bottle Topper Craft
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...