A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New homepage design  (Read 452 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: November 21, 2006 01:09:31 PM »

I've been working on a new site to sell my crafty wares.  So far I have made a home page mockup and I'm working on the navigation design, but I'd really like to get some feedback before I work with this design too much.  Keep in mind that this is just a jpg of the home page, not a functioning site yet.

Anyways, please let me know what you think.  You can even tell me that you hate it as long as you tell me why.  I really appreciate your feedback and I will take all comments into serious consideration.

So without further ado, the url: www.cinnamontealhandmade.com/page04.jpg

Here's a few specific questions that you can answer if they will help you critique it.
1. Do you think that it looks old or "granny-ish"?
2. What do you think about the fonts?
3. What do you think about the sketches?
4. What about colors?
5. How do you feel about the alignment of the images?
6. What general impression does it give you?  Does it feel amateur? Does it interest you?
7. If you were shopping/surfing online and you came across this page would it grab your attention?  In a good way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kacarrol
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006 04:28:33 PM »

My opinion. I love blue and brown together so I love the colour scheme of this site. I am assuming that the picture will take up the whole page (ie the background will go right across the screen).

I like the font used for the title, but I think it should be a bit "heavier" the lines seem too thin to me.

I'm not so fond of the font on each individual graphic I can't put my finger on it but it just doesn't seem to fit quite as well...maybe too generic or too much like an old western novel font.

I love the frames you have around each picture, but the colour drowns out the picture itself. I would recommend changing the picture though, not the border. The drawings should be darker. Be more bold with your lines and keep the fine detail to the shading.

Overall I love the feel of the site and think you should develop it further. It is a site I would explore further if I came across it on the web.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006 05:20:38 PM »

Thanks so much for you opinions.  I'm feeling a little iffy on the frames.  Do you think that they're too heavy?  Maybe the title font looks too thin because everything else is so heavy.

Anyway, I'm going to play around with my sketches in photoshop and see what I can do to make the images a bit bolder.  Thanks again.

Any other comments would be appreciated, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kayly666
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006 11:21:13 PM »

--It looks like its intended to be granny-ish though so it looks clever, not old.

-The font is a little bit thin, I might of gone for something bolder.

-The sketches are lovely they are very well drawn

4. What about colors?
-Brown and blue are great together but the red looks a little out of place.

-I think they are a little bit cramped.

6. What general impression does it give you?  Does it feel amateur? Does it interest you?
-It looks a little bit hand made, but I think it'll work when you're just starting out.

7. If you were shopping/surfing online and you came across this page would it grab your attention?  In a good way?
-I think the sketches are a huge asset, they definately attract my attention.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/next_big_thing1">Next Big Thing</a>
<br>
Unless otherwise stated items I post on craftster are available at the above website.
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006 10:48:29 AM »

4. What about colors?

1. No.
2. Fonts are fine
3. Sketches - GREAT
4. I would change the biz name to dark blue
5. Good
6. I like. If I was going for handmade stuff I'd WANT to see those handmade sketches. Nice job!
7. Chances are I would NEVER find you online, unfortunately. There's no text on your home page. Go to the "business discussion" forum and check out the topic "why your website should have content". Then, go back into your site, reduce all those pictures to about 1/3 of the size, and write some content on your home page. Your other pages can have an enlarged version of the corresponding home page pic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006 11:17:59 AM »

Thanks kayly666 and CraftyChef.  I really, really appreciate the feedback!

7. Chances are I would NEVER find you online, unfortunately. There's no text on your home page. Go to the "business discussion" forum and check out the topic "why your website should have content". Then, go back into your site, reduce all those pictures to about 1/3 of the size, and write some content on your home page. Your other pages can have an enlarged version of the corresponding home page pic.

Do you think that even if I meta tagged all the images and used really good titles and put a good deal of text on all the other pages that I still wouldn't be found?  It seems to me that there are sooo many other big and small craft business sites out there that it would be impossible to make in to the top 10 for keywords like "knit purse" or something anyways.  I guess what I'm asking is, would it be worth sacrificing the design?  Or would I be better off just focusing on link sharing and trying to get my name out there through forums, blogs, and other sites?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vogue Weddings - Artist Happy Menocal
Artist Uses Mouth to Paint
Art of VIBE: How & Nosm Go From Tagging Trains to 4-Story Buildings
Glen Berger Tells The Back Story of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark
Light and Movement Digitally Added to Van Gogh Paintings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...