A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,281
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help finding clothes for my body type  (Read 1500 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ScarletMama
« on: November 21, 2006 08:17:08 AM »

I am looking for some advice, tips, anything basically. I am a size 14-16 in US sizes, and only 5'3" BUT I seem to be very square... no really definitions at my waist or hips... or in the chest... I swear I would look much more proportionate if I was at least a B-C cup size... I maybe fit into a 38B LOL and my legs look like tree trunks... (thick calves!)
I have my husbands Christmas party coming up and would like to know what kinda clothes would suit me? I am trying to find something "different" from the run of the mill outfit, I am the ONLY bigger girl going to this thing and I still want to look great amongst all the other much smaller women! I am trying my hardest to find some knee high boots where we live right now... (going VERY slow)

Please help any advice is SO much appreciated!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006 12:05:45 AM by superstitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006 08:54:01 AM »

My waist is not defined either. I find that if I make skirts that kind of nip in as they go down, sort of like a pencil skirt, then flare out-- it tends to give the illusion of curves.
As for tops, surplice wraps, or other diagonal-to-the-waist designs, seem to create the illusion of a waist, and can also emphasize the bust.
I'd suggest going shopping to try on different styles and hopefully discover exactly what works the best for your figure.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

D.I.Winer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006 08:58:13 AM »

I'm small chested & wide hipped & sort of boxy, too. I find that if I get skirts or dresses with an empire waist it makes me look like I got a lot more going on in the shape department.

Also, I find when I wear boots it makes my legs look stumpier. try a heel...maybe a kitten heel or something? they really lengthen your legs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScarletMama
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006 01:48:49 PM »

Thankyou for the ideas guys!!
I am almost finished my desperate search for boots and I think I have decided that I will find a cheapo pair and try to reconstruct them myself!! So I get the exact boot I have in my head without paying hundreds to get them!!
Thanks again!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViolentViolet
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006 12:03:37 AM »

A surplice wrap dress.Ima size 26 and a 42 b and love these things.I love the way it comes together. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I just love her man,Hey what are you doing with that brick?"

http://www.wists.com/EvaBlack
pantsafari
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006 05:27:41 PM »

A line skirts and dresses look great on all body types, they tend to give the illusion of an hourglass shilouette. you can also help the chest situation by buying a bra with extra padding for the illusion. no one will know and youll look amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
The.Worst.Idea
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006 06:21:14 PM »

I have the same shape Undecided

But this is what works for me:

- Structured jackets. They not only make you look put together, they also nip in at the smallest part of your waist, making you look smaller. If anyone watches What Not to Wear, they always go on about structured jackets, but it really does work.
- Structured shirts, period.
- Wrap tops and empire seams.
- Jeans/pants that are specifically for petite heights, otherwise any flaring can be too low on your legs and look funny.
- Knee-length skirts, A-line or otherwise with volume at the bottom of the skirt.
- Pointy-toe heels will make your legs look leaner and longer.
- And a good bra to give the girls a lift.

Good luck Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilfishyinbigblu
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006 06:33:02 PM »

i second the structured jacket idea! i have a ton and love love love them, i find if i throw them on even over an old t-shirt i look more dressed up. another thing i do is i take every thing i buy to my seamstress. she does amazing work and makes every thing fit perfectly, when things fit perfectly they look so much better. I have found for pants (I'm 5'4") that old navy short pants fit perfectly (but of course i hate buying pants labled short!). but let me stress once again the seamstress idea, my body is also a weird shape, very short legs, regular sized torso, long arms. i can never find something off the rack that looks good, but if i like the style and print i find my seamstress can make it a knockout outfit on my body. one side note i find that i fall out of wrap tops and i am only a size d, so i would be really carefull about trying it on and actually moving around in one before buying it
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mol666
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006 09:28:19 AM »

I can't do the RTW wrap-top thing either.  I try them on and it's um, obscene.  Shocked

How about v-necked tops, or maybe a nice sweater with a lower neck? 

I don't know if the boot thing would work for you.  I would actually go for a kitten heel, as was suggested earlier.  Pointed toe shoes will also make your shape a little more defined.

A-line skirts are awesome, but I think they look silly if they are too short.  There's a great book out, _Sew What!  Skirts!_ that has easy instructions on how to draft a-line skirt patterns.  I made up one of those skirts in like 2 hours last weekend. 

hth!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Split Toning in Photoshop - Video Tutorial
-How to Create a Sequence in Premiere Pro CS4
How to Straighten Your Photos in Photoshop CS4
Learn about 3D Computer Art Museum
Learn about 3D Computer Architecture
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...