A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dogs playing poker fabric - It's finished!  (Read 4804 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aspiring Crazy Cat Lady
That girl your mama warned you about!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2006 12:15:41 PM »

Ok so I'm at Walmart the other day and I come across this fabric on the clearance rack.  It's Coolidge's poker playing canines.  Immediately I think, "Self, this MUST become a skirt!"  Myself replies, "Not just any skirt, oh hell no, this'll be a THANKSGIVING skirt."

I'm full of brilliant ideas, but running a little behind schedule.

So I have this fabric.  What would be the best way to go about making myself a skirt?  The panels are wide enough that a little over two of them would make a great skirt for me.  They're about 4" shorter than I want.

What, O' Great and Terrible Crafsters, would be the best way for me to turn this into a skirt?  I'm thinking adding 4" of fabric at the top, would take care of the length issue and drop the image down enough so that I don't have to lift my shirt to show it off.  But what about the width?  I just need another 2" total to give it just enough ease and swing, how should I approach that?

Many thanks in advance Smiley
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006 02:01:21 PM by Aspiring Crazy Cat Lady » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeepers
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006 12:30:59 PM »

Gotta love those dogs!  So, are you totally set on making a skirt?  Are you cooking on Thanksgiving?  Because I thought that panel would make an adorable apron.  It would take care of the shortness issue, and you could just add a rectangle of coordinating fabric for the bib and the straps of the apron.  Just a thought, anyway, but I hope you post pics of whatever you end up doing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

find what you love
love what you find
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006 01:27:24 PM »

The apron is a great idea. You could forget the bib and make it a 1/2 apron (so '50s!) by making a casing at the top and running a ribbon through it.

If you really want a skirt, though...

Make a yoke out of a coordinating fabric, 4" long, plus an elastic waist casing and a seam allowance. (Say 5 1/2") Width -- about 3' wider than your hips, for ease and a seam allowance. Join 1 side together. Fold over and stitch casing.

Add 2 1/2 inches of coordinating fabric for the fullness you want to 2 sides of 1 panel. [A BIGGER PIECE WOULD GIVE YOU MORE FULLNESS. A TRIAGULAR GORE 2 1/2 inches ON TOP TO ABOUT 6" AT THE HEM WOULD GIVE YOU FLARE]

Sew the other panel to the coordinating fabric. Gather the panel piece. Sew to the hip yoke. Add elastic to the casing. Sew remaining side seam.

Turn up hem. Yer done.

This would be hilarious as a Christmas skirt, too.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006 03:52:20 PM by ScotSkipper402 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
stacysews
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006 02:12:58 PM »

I thought of an apron too! but a skirt is so unexpected and fun!

If you're wanting more of a skirt with more flare at the end you can make strips that get larger as they go toward the bottom (kind of like a triangle).  I can't wait to see this made up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006 02:53:56 PM »

Im not much of a sewer, so youll have to just forgive this if its inordinately dumb, but is it possible for you to get/use a third panel and make it more of a swing skirt?  Thats what I thought would be just adorable-it would catch people's eye immediately, but then they'd look for a minute to get the full effect...

good luck whatever you do and let us know; it is adorable fabric!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastor m.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006 02:56:55 PM »

It would be cute as a wrap skirt, and you could use another fabric, so that the panel is what ends up in the front when it's tied.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
stitchbitch

cranky and crafty since forever

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006 04:17:44 PM »

Loove the fabric! And a skirt is a great idea.
I'd consider a circle wraparound or an a-line, something that isn't gathered so that you get the full effect of the panel.
Have you considered making the skirt out of another fabric and then flatting (applique') the panel on top?
Do you know what I mean?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's always something good.
Aspiring Crazy Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006 04:51:44 PM »

I thought of an apron too! but a skirt is so unexpected and fun!

If you're wanting more of a skirt with more flare at the end you can make strips that get larger as they go toward the bottom (kind of like a triangle).  I can't wait to see this made up!

Ooooh, yes, that is what I want.  It's ankle length and I thought about what you're saying here, but wouldn't that screw up the image?  I can't wrap my mind around how to resolve that.  I am, of course, a novice with the whole sewing bit.

Also, after a second measuring I realize that while 2 panels will fit me fine, there's not enough swing, so I added a third and pinned it, and the gathers, on my dressform.  It looks great.

I had considered a wrap skirt or a-line, but a wrap skirt looks terrible on me and if I'm going to wear a skirt it's going to be ankle length and flow-y.  I actually like the obscurity that happens with the image with all the gathers.  It breaks up the image and keeps my ass from looking like a giant billboard.

So now I'm going to work on the yoke and I'll be back with pics probably tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aspiring Crazy Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006 09:47:07 PM »

I didn't lie exactly.  It *is* tomorrow.

It looks a little odd because there's no elastic and it's all just pinned together and on my ghetto fabulous dress form which, thanks to expanding foam, put on about 5 additional inches so it's not true either, but for a place to pin some outrageous fabric for the purposes of making an outrageous T-Day skirt, it works just fine.

Tomorrow I'll probably be sewing it up.  Anything I should know before I plunge in?  This will be my first time working with elastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zoie
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006 09:50:38 PM »

OMG that's even better than I expected!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Permanent Hair Smoothing Treatments
Smoothing Services For African American Women’S Hair
Smoothing Services - Safe and Effective Alternative to Relaxers
Bombshell Hair-Styling Tips
Great Hair Rollers For Bouncy Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...