A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Should I make Drum Sticks?  (Read 746 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AllStix
Get Your KNIT ON!

Handmade Knitting Needles -As Unique as you are!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2006 07:11:29 AM »

Drum sticks (stix) for Drummers...

I want to make them in the same style as my knitting needles and crochet hooks (you can see what I'm talking aobut by going to allstix.etsy.com or www.allstix.com)

I'm sure I can apply the same method to drum sticks. Do you think drummers would like them? I don't know any to ask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade Knitting Needles- as Unique as You Are!
www.allstix.com
cinnamon teal
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006 03:57:37 PM »

I think that these would be cool drum sticks, but I'm not a drummer. Tongue Maybe you could find some drummers on myspace?  They have a lot of lesser known bands and you could probably get feedback from some of them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kacarrol
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006 04:31:49 PM »

I can't see any pictures (if you had some up) or prices.

The only thing that I know about drummers and their sticks are that they break a lot. I dated a bass player in a R and B band and their drummer used to break at least one a show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006 10:51:48 AM »

Oh, shoot - that's a great idea! Maybe you could dip them in resin so they'd be extra strong or something. I would contact some local bands and see if their drummers would be interested, and check out some local music shops, too. The market research is soooo easy on this one.

I would think, even if a drummer breaks a lot of cheap sticks, they would be more careful and use a cool set of sticks like yours sparingly, or heck - just collect 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fudgegirl
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006 10:17:20 PM »

well i'm a bit of a drummer ( i dont have a kit...yet  Tongue) and that seems like a really cool idea!
the only thing is protecting the paint. Even when you're sort of trying not to wreck them, drumsticks get hundreds of dints (sp?)  in them. I would be really worried that the paint would chip off. But other than that, i think patterned sticks would be awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjrn79
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006 04:02:02 PM »

My son is a drummer, and he belongs to his school band and a friend's garage band.  I would love to surprise him with some beautiful stix like these....I agree that it would be difficult to protect the paint....  Maybe keep the tips "natural" and just do the shaft part....my son usually wraps his sticks with electrical tape to keep them stronger....maybe making the TAPE the decoration.  Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AllStix
Get Your KNIT ON!

Handmade Knitting Needles -As Unique as you are!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006 09:17:07 PM »

I'm going to try and get a pair made this week. I've got the perfect  patterns in mind! Now try to imagine these patterns on drum stix.....

I think I'll start with the Tattoo Flames first. I put a protective sealant over the paint and all...kind of like a glaze. I'm not sure what kind of beating it can withstand so I'll let my DH test them out first. He has his drum kit set up in our garage. He's into the idea of patterned drum stix, but not sure if it will work out.

I'll keep my progress posted on this thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade Knitting Needles- as Unique as You Are!
www.allstix.com
nothingrhymeswithcircus
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006 06:36:47 AM »

Those are really cute, what a clever idea!

I've done a little drumming and I was just thinking you might want to consider the sound the sticks will end up making...I donno, this is a website that might give you some ideas
http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcz/Stix.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Comics Run: Avengers VS. X-Men Resumed
The Comics Run: Avengers VS. X-Men
Using Floppy Disks as Art Canvas
Incredible Feather Art
Marianne North Gallery in Kew Gardens
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...