A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's button shirt -> Cute cap-sleeved top *DETAILED TUTORIAL!* [image obese]  (Read 278949 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , shirt , reconstruction  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Paperdaisies

Let's dance in the rain or at least run crazy!!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2006 11:29:35 PM »

Sooo, I made my first tutorial. I sorta made it outta the blue, I am on holidays and I made this top and was very very excited (although I didn't really get that much feedback from Craftster on it...Grin) so  decided that everyone should be able to make one! So I sat down with trusty ole Photoshop in my pyjamas (I'm still in them and it's 5pm...hehe, holidays are great)

Here is the orginal top (link http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=133739.0 ) and a photo...

Now onto the tute. I have tried to explain this so that people with little or no sewing experience can do it. All you need is a sewing machine, a big button down shirt, some matching thread and a needle and thread for gathering!

TUTORIAL GOODNESS!
1. Find a nice simple button up mens shirt, preferably too big (thrift stores and brothers are great!). Turn it inside out (with the buttons done up!) and lay it down nice and flat, smoothing out any wrinkles.

2. Get a nice sleeved shirt that fits you well and lay it down on top of the button shirt. Carefully pin around the edges (dont be afraid to use lots of pins so that you get the curves just right!). Make sure you keep it all smooth and centred and that you are pinning both layers of the shirt together. Dont pin the t-shirt to the button shirt! Look at the pic for where I pinned.

If you want to see if you like the fit around your waist and stuff, unpin the pins at the sleeves and unbutton the shirt and try it on (you can try it one inside out and/or right side out, be careful of the pins though!. Try and ignore how the sleeves look sorta funny at the moment (^_^).

3. When you are happy with the position of the pins, its time to sew the side seams! Move the t-shirt to the side and sew up the sides only (NOT the sleevesor you wont have any armholes! hehe)

Time for some more trying on. Make sure you like how it fits.

4. When you are happy with the fit, its time to cut! Weeee! Cut the along the pinned and sewed lines, leaving a nice seam allowance (I do about 2-2.5cm). Zig-zap (or overlock/serge if you have one) along the sewn edges so that the fabris doesnt fray much when you wash your shirt.

5. Now it looks like this! You can try it on againcheck that you have cut it all nice and symmetrical and all that jazz. I guess if you like the look of it how it is you could finish off the edges and wear it sleeveless.

6. Put it back on again, and fiddle around with where you could put darts to make it fit you better around the boobs. Put it on inside out and pin the darts in. Make sure they are symmetric, and at the same angle and all. (Ive drawn in where I put my darts, but everyones boobs are different so your darts might be in a completely different position, just as long as it makes it fit you nicely!

7. Sew the darts. Turn it right side out and try it on. If you are happy with it, cut of the fold of fabric carefully, leaving about 1cm fabric. Zig-zag/serge/overlock edge. I guess if you like the look of it how it is now you could finish off the edges and wear it sleeveless. If you want cute little puffy/cap sleevescontinue!

8. Now we will make the sleevesI will give directions with the measurements I used. I have toothpick arms, but the fit it very generous and it should fit most people BUT I highly recommend making a mock sleeve out of some scrap fabric first, that way if you need to make adjustments, you wont have wasted your precious matching fabric.

Anywho, get the sleeves that were cut off and cut them so that you have 2 nice flat pieces of fabric that have one hemmed edge.

9. Using your mock piece of fabric, cut out this shape (seam allowances are included in my measurements). Fold it across in half and pin the half-way points at the top and bottom. Unfold.

10. Now you need to get your needle and thread. Use a thread that is easily seen against your fabric (it will be removed later) and tie a nice big knot at one end. Sew where indicated in the pics.

11. Pull the thread so that the fabric gathers and fasten the thread so that the gathered fabric measures 9cm in length.

12. Using the sewing machine, sew the gathered edge flat (as indicated in pic). Remove gathering thread.

13. Now is the time to check that this sleeve fits you and your shirt. I tried the shirt on and held the sleeve on with my hand and wiggled around and looked and stuff. Remember that the sleeves are cap type sleeves so that means that they wont go all around the shirt sleeve edge (see pic).

14. When youre happy with your mock sleeve, make the real sleeves, using the hemmed edge as the long straight edge on the semi-circle. You should then have 2 cute little puffy cap sleeves! Pin the top centre of the sleeves (so you will be able to match them to the shirt evenly)

15. Time for attaching the sleeves to the shirt. Put the shirt the right side out. Taking one sleeve, match the pinned centre to the existing seam across the top of the shoulder and pin together (in pic = centre pin) with right sides together. Pin the rest of the top edge of the sleeve onto the shirt.

16. Sew it on, making sure you sew on the other side of the line of machine stitching used to hold the gathers in place (Step 12).

Repeat Steps 15 & 16 for the other sleeve. Wow, were nearly finished! Try it on just for fun to see how it looksyay!

17. Now we finish the edges of the armholes. First, zig-zag/serge/overlock along the raw edge.

18. Now we need to hem the zigzagged edge to make it nice and neat. This is kind of hard to explain how I did it. It is a bit fiddly. You need to fold and sew the zig-zagged edge over (inwards) so that the edge is on the inside. Before you sew it down, make sure that it will sit flat at the point where it meets where the sleeve is sewed on. I cant explain this well, it is easiest for you to fiddle around and figure it our yourself (sorry I cant make this step easier!)

19. If you need to or would like to neaten up the bottom hem, you can do it now (no pic for this step, its pretty simple, isnt it?...just fold, pin and sew)

20. Tadaaa! Congratulations! You should now have an awesome cute little top to wear wherever and whenever you like!

So there you have it...the most detailed tute ever. I would LOVE to hear what you guys think of this tute, and if you have any suggestions. AND I would LOVE LOVE LOVE you to post pics here of what you make!

I hope it works!
-Rosie Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007 06:55:44 AM by Paperdaisies » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006 11:59:15 PM »

cute top! I am pretty excited /slash/ impressed with your tutorial...nice photoshop skills!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006 12:21:56 AM »

Wow! Your top is adorable! Thank you so much for the tutorial, I am going to try this if I can ever find any decent shirts at the thrift store!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

umheried
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006 04:27:33 AM »

You did an absolutely wonderful job on this tute.  It's miles better than most patterns that I use (& mostly they're Simplicity!).  Your tute actually makes me want to do this recon, even more than the photo of the finished product.  I have a couple of old men's shirts in my closet, that I may have to fix up...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkspider
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006 04:33:36 AM »

Wow! excellent tutorial thank you Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006 07:57:13 AM »

The best tute ever!  I would've thought the process to be more difficult, but you have explained and illustrated it so well!  You rock!
I'll definitely post pics if I ever get around to making one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daydreamer
Dream dreams. Always.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006 08:23:12 AM »

ohmygosh, i love this! cannot wait to try it.

thanks so much for the tute, paperdaisies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenhaired

and i think to myself, what a wonderful world

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006 09:16:46 AM »

thanks for the fab tute, paperdaisies!!! Smiley
this is definetly on my list of things to try!

does anyone know how to modify the collar into a monk-type collar?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Perspective pries your once weighty eyes and it gives you wings

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/ravenhaired
fingertip
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006 09:48:14 AM »

ooohh, that is the cutest tute ever
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The End.
Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006 10:37:43 AM »

Wow, thanks for taking the time to put this together!  I'm definitely going to have to give this one a try at some point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sriracha Candy Cane Chocolate Hearts Recipe
How to Make Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Brownie Cupcakes
Mini Gluten-Free Pistachio Cakes
How to Make Mince Pie Pinwheels
How to Make a Gorgeous Lattice Pie Crust
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...