A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paint chip wallet (sorry for the HUGE images!)  (Read 2872 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Meg-san

You are looking at a flower finger puppet

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2004 11:03:38 PM »

*waves* being new to the site, I thought that I'd introduce myself by introducing my latest project (well not too new-but I was overseas in Scotland so that month doesn't really count Tongue).  I got the idea from www.narangkar.com
Again, these images are huge, but my computer is feeling too temperamental to let me resize pictures.

Here's the front view.....

And then the whole back

There's the inside with the card holders

And then the cash holder.  In the background you can see the bookmark I made with the leftover strips.

Hope these steps help you a bit-it's pretty straightforward even without directions (get the longest strips possible)
Step 1:  Cut the paint chips into thin strips-I'd recommend using an exactoknife
Step 2:  Weave the strips together-you don't need to pin them as they'll pretty much hold together-make 2 of these so you can have a pocket for bills
Step 3:  Cut the chips into bits to make the card pockets
Step 4:  Sew around the edges of the woven pieces
Step 5:  Sew the card pockets onto one of the woven pieces.  I did them one at a time, which makes the stitches quite bulky but it might be easier for you to do them all at once
Step 5:  Sew the two woven parts together.

I'm hoping to sell these wallets to one of the local indie designer shops-but I don't really know what to ask for them.  I mean, they don't cost anything to make so that part isn't a problem-but they do fall apart quicker than usual wallets.  Any ideas what I could ask for for them (oh and say what currency too it gets confusing sometimes).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to see a thousand lonely strangers dancing happily at my party
chickyBincessant
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004 11:27:45 PM »

better to price them to the shop at a bulk rate.   That way they have to buy more and you make a good profit.  They'll prolly sell um for like $5 (us)   so u tell um that you will give them 20 for $55 or $60, don't mentoon that u don't have to spend anything on them.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Meg-san

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004 11:40:33 PM »

Ah thanks for the tip-better get cracking on walletmaking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rosered

terror of the highseas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004 12:28:37 AM »

This is such a rad idea. Thank you for the tutorial and the  link. This is definetly something I will have a go at.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Born2BMe293
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004 09:54:48 AM »

i've been making these for a while too (arent they fun!!??) and my only problem has been that they rip really fast, especially if you use a very small stitch. I use the longest stitch possible on my machine, but its not really that long. After it was done i s[rayed it w/ some glossy finishing spray to hopefully help the ends no fray or rip. Havent tested it yet tho, we'll see. Any other ideas for helping them to hold well?

I would charge a litte more than 5 cuz it is pretty consuming to make! It takes me about and hour- hour and 20 minutes to make one. It takes my friend way longer, she always get confused when shes weaving. Lol.

Good luck selling them, tell me how it goes!! i might sell them at a craft fair soon.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosered

terror of the highseas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004 12:44:22 PM »

I wonder if laminating all the parts of the wallet before stitching it together would help preserve it. I have no idea how much something like that would cost though, but it's an idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horse Power
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004 01:05:12 PM »

Oh, that turned out so great! I love those paint chip things but could never think of anything to do with them. I don't sew, but the idea for weaving the strips together is full of possibilites. It would make an adorable little book cover or pencil cup wrapper. Thanks for posting that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meg-san

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004 01:45:22 PM »

i've been making these for a while too (arent they fun!!??) and my only problem has been that they rip really fast, especially if you use a very small stitch. I use the longest stitch possible on my machine, but its not really that long. After it was done i s[rayed it w/ some glossy finishing spray to hopefully help the ends no fray or rip. Havent tested it yet tho, we'll see. Any other ideas for helping them to hold well?

What sort of finishing spray do you use and where do you get that?  Tell me how it works out because I was wondering about how to hold it together as well.  Doesn't it make it really stiff to open/close if you use that stuff?
Next time I make one I'll try to make some pictures for you guys
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Born2BMe293
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004 05:19:40 PM »

What sort of finishing spray do you use and where do you get that?  Tell me how it works out because I was wondering about how to hold it together as well.  Doesn't it make it really stiff to open/close if you use that stuff?
Next time I make one I'll try to make some pictures for you guys

i used Krylon Crystal clear acrylic spray coating. it doesnt restrict the bending because i sprayed it after i was all finished making it. just make sure u dont spray the pockets together! lol

im looking forward to seeing your pics!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Meg-san

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004 07:06:18 PM »

i used Krylon Crystal clear acrylic spray coating. it doesnt restrict the bending because i sprayed it after i was all finished making it. just make sure u dont spray the pockets together! lol

im looking forward to seeing your pics!!

I'll try to set up a proper tutorial this weekend since I have an extra day off school-but I need to go smuggle some more paint chips first-I forgot where I put all of my extra ones when I made this wallet o.O I need to make a wallet for my friend anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onemillionangels

EVERYTHING IS BIGGER IN TEXAS....HMMM...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004 07:40:25 AM »

That rocks, I would so buy that for somewhere around $5-$8, easy. That looks great, I love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Meg-san

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004 08:47:53 PM »

That rocks, I would so buy that for somewhere around $5-$8, easy. That looks great, I love it!!!

Thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004 09:18:21 PM »

If you used clear packing tape or clear contact paper on the strips before or after weaving, i think they would hold up better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Prepare Korean Style Sushi
How to Make Chicken Tikka Masala
Rolling Raw Spring Rolls
Ingredients for Raw Spring Rolls
How to Make Raw Food Spring Rolls
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...