A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to make a mom who wants "nothing really..."?  (Read 3467 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dazy
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006 11:56:01 AM »

He he how about a jar of nothing? http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1087
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dazydesigns.etsy.com - check it out!!
www.myspace.com/friskypigeons
Lover of personal swaps!
Have 1000's and 1000's of undented perfect condition bottle caps to trade!
WANTED!!!! someone to do a nerdy/geek/games personal swap with me :p
peppersaskatoon
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006 12:17:34 PM »

A ceramic lamp?  With a hand-beaded shade?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006 12:22:50 PM »

Ahhhahahahahhaaa...that's HILARIOUS! My mom's totally getting one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006 03:07:58 PM »

A ceramic lamp?  With a hand-beaded shade?
Ditto.  If you do beading, and she wants a lampshade, then bead the lampshade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
poe poe
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006 06:38:42 AM »

Every year my grandma bakes us something like bananna bread, pumpkin roll, mexican corn bread. It's really great. Everyone loves it. This year I'm taking a page from her book. I canned apple jelly this year. So I'm sending that with some type of bread.... But I do love the Jar of nothing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
tamagotchi
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006 07:56:39 AM »

to add on to my earlier idea, this is what I got my mom and stepmother this year (who both always say they want "nothing"):

stepmother:
hand-knit scarf
fancy bubble bath

mom:
laptop cushion
hand-knit slippers

Bath items always seem to go over well in my family.  Maybe you could make your mom some soap?  Or a tiny bottle of a fancy product usually isn't that expensive and adds a tinge of luxury to your gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
elizabethdee
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006 08:16:19 AM »

Hmm, let me add a different perspective, because I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those moms who wants "nothing really," but my daughter's only nine. She's still of an age where she's dying to please me, and I always ask for something, anything, made by her.

Maybe your mother is hesitant to ask for something made by you because she doesn't want to make demands on your time.

My first thought, reading your post, was the same as peppersaskatoon's and bigmouth's. if you are a beader and she wants a lampshade, can you bead the lampshade? or if beads wouldn't fit her decor, can you otherwise embellish it?

and if you're a skilled ceramicist, would she want one of your pieces? if i were your mother, i would!

now if i've totally  missed the mark, i apologize. my own mother is a nightmare to get presents for (i even posted a whole long thing about it), so i know all too well that not all moms appreciate their daughters' handcrafted gifts from the heart.

good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ronise

Made in Brazil.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006 09:20:51 AM »

Make her a lovely box and when you open it it says "nothing" on the bottom.  Grin

thats a really good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006 02:23:59 PM »

Another thought, too:
Some people really don't want anything.  If they're trying to cut back on clutter or generally simplify their lives, then stuff might get in the way.  Handmade stuff, particularly, can hold a certain emotional component that makes it seem "mandatory" to hold on to--even when what the person really wants to do it to be "free and clear" of things.  In that case, I love the idea of consumables, such as foods and bath products.  And if your mom's into this kind of thing, you could have a lot of fun finding a charity or cause she supports and donating in her name--whether in cash or in kind.  You could buy toys for Toys For Tots, take pictures, and put them in a card or a frame (don't handmake them, though, because they likely need to accept tagged items that are proven new and that show they meet flammability and safety standards, etc.).  You could make items to donate to a charity, such as gloves and scarves for a shelter or stuffies for a children's hospital.  Libraries often have "wish lists" for their shelves, and will put bookplates in with donor names--so you can find things that apply to her interests, pay for the book, and it will sit on the library shelves with her name in it.

Just a couple more thoughts for the many of us out there who have trouble buying for parents who have everything (and/or too much!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
echornor
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006 02:49:26 PM »

I think bigmouths Idea is great, it wont clutter up her home and someone else will get something out of it she might not have. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Christmas Sweater Book Trailer by Glenn Beck
Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue
Stephen King Explains His Vision for Duma Key
Author Emily Yellin Explains the Inspiration for Her Book
Funny Video on the Time Jumpers by James Valentine
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...