A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to make a mom who wants "nothing really..."?  (Read 3302 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slb2724
« on: November 19, 2006 06:46:38 PM »

Well I get the same thing every year. "Its ok, I dont want anything..." and this year, it was even more pathetic " A lampshade would be nice...." Well gosh darnit, im going to get a lampshade and make something anyway!! im skiled in ceramics....slightl y in sewing (i can make bags, quilts, and stuffies, none of which she wants/needs) and in beading (she doesnt wear jewelry).  You can see how this is hard! Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006 06:48:21 PM »

Make her a lovely box and when you open it it says "nothing" on the bottom.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyfingers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006 06:55:30 PM »

Make her a calendar - doesn't everyone need one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006 10:31:29 PM »

bwahaha....I love the box idea.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can do personal swaps!  ^_^

Pinterest!  http://pinterest.com/dmlinc2179/
FIFI

It's useful being top banana in the shock dept.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006 03:53:24 AM »

My mom gives me the same speech every year (telling me to save my money). She is such a great mom, that I always struggle to figure out what to give her.The last few years, I have made her a calendar with pictues of my children - she loves that.
Also, maybe a grocery gift card or a nice box with all occasion cards, a nice pen, some stamps. You always need that.
FiFi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
re
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006 08:20:01 AM »

Does she write to anyone??

I am not sure about the US, but in Canada you can upload a photo online to custom make postage stamps with a photo of your choice.

You end up with a sheet of real postage and a larger version of your photo.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006 10:52:06 AM »

Homemade Chocolate Truffles wouldn't go to waste in most homes...
RecycleMicol has a great recipe and instructions on the boards here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tamagotchi
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006 11:13:14 AM »

I agree with OriginalYouth - food is always good!  I think when people say that they want "nothing", it usually means that they have a lot of stuff already and don't want more things.  In this case I find the best gift is something practical, maybe out of the ordinary, that they can use.  Like those nice scented beads you put in the vacuum cleaner, or bath salts, or a tasty gourmet food.  Something she probably wouldn't buy for herself, but that will definitely get used up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006 11:18:58 AM »

Make her a nice quilted pillow with 'nothing really' appliqued or embroidered on it!  Or a cross stitch.... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

echornor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006 11:29:54 AM »

food, does she like to cook? you could make a "kit" of Asian or another kind of food, something she would want to make but wouldn't bother to do it if she had to buy the stuff herself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dazy
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006 11:56:01 AM »

He he how about a jar of nothing? http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1087
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dazydesigns.etsy.com - check it out!!
www.myspace.com/friskypigeons
Lover of personal swaps!
Have 1000's and 1000's of undented perfect condition bottle caps to trade!
WANTED!!!! someone to do a nerdy/geek/games personal swap with me :p
peppersaskatoon
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006 12:17:34 PM »

A ceramic lamp?  With a hand-beaded shade?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaos

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006 12:22:50 PM »

Ahhhahahahahhaaa... that's HILARIOUS! My mom's totally getting one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006 03:07:58 PM »

A ceramic lamp?  With a hand-beaded shade?
Ditto.  If you do beading, and she wants a lampshade, then bead the lampshade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
poe poe
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006 06:38:42 AM »

Every year my grandma bakes us something like bananna bread, pumpkin roll, mexican corn bread. It's really great. Everyone loves it. This year I'm taking a page from her book. I canned apple jelly this year. So I'm sending that with some type of bread.... But I do love the Jar of nothing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
tamagotchi
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006 07:56:39 AM »

to add on to my earlier idea, this is what I got my mom and stepmother this year (who both always say they want "nothing"):

stepmother:
hand-knit scarf
fancy bubble bath

mom:
laptop cushion
hand-knit slippers

Bath items always seem to go over well in my family.  Maybe you could make your mom some soap?  Or a tiny bottle of a fancy product usually isn't that expensive and adds a tinge of luxury to your gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
elizabethdee
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006 08:16:19 AM »

Hmm, let me add a different perspective, because I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those moms who wants "nothing really," but my daughter's only nine. She's still of an age where she's dying to please me, and I always ask for something, anything, made by her.

Maybe your mother is hesitant to ask for something made by you because she doesn't want to make demands on your time.

My first thought, reading your post, was the same as peppersaskatoon's and bigmouth's. if you are a beader and she wants a lampshade, can you bead the lampshade? or if beads wouldn't fit her decor, can you otherwise embellish it?

and if you're a skilled ceramicist, would she want one of your pieces? if i were your mother, i would!

now if i've totally  missed the mark, i apologize. my own mother is a nightmare to get presents for (i even posted a whole long thing about it), so i know all too well that not all moms appreciate their daughters' handcrafted gifts from the heart.

good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ronise

Made in Brazil.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006 09:20:51 AM »

Make her a lovely box and when you open it it says "nothing" on the bottom.  Grin

thats a really good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006 02:23:59 PM »

Another thought, too:
Some people really don't want anything.  If they're trying to cut back on clutter or generally simplify their lives, then stuff might get in the way.  Handmade stuff, particularly, can hold a certain emotional component that makes it seem "mandatory" to hold on to--even when what the person really wants to do it to be "free and clear" of things.  In that case, I love the idea of consumables, such as foods and bath products.  And if your mom's into this kind of thing, you could have a lot of fun finding a charity or cause she supports and donating in her name--whether in cash or in kind.  You could buy toys for Toys For Tots, take pictures, and put them in a card or a frame (don't handmake them, though, because they likely need to accept tagged items that are proven new and that show they meet flammability and safety standards, etc.).  You could make items to donate to a charity, such as gloves and scarves for a shelter or stuffies for a children's hospital.  Libraries often have "wish lists" for their shelves, and will put bookplates in with donor names--so you can find things that apply to her interests, pay for the book, and it will sit on the library shelves with her name in it.

Just a couple more thoughts for the many of us out there who have trouble buying for parents who have everything (and/or too much!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
echornor
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006 02:49:26 PM »

I think bigmouths Idea is great, it wont clutter up her home and someone else will get something out of it she might not have. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peppersaskatoon
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006 06:57:06 PM »

That's an excellent point, Bigmouth.  I'm one of those people who just doesn't want more stuff, though I'll always appreciate a handmade card...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slb2724
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006 07:16:20 PM »

the thing is, that she doesnt have alot of "stuff" to begin with! im pretty sure im just going to make her a gnome, kinda like the "NOM"s on etsy, but...well...differ ent. that and a ceramic cupcake cause her birthdays on teh 30th of dec....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006 08:52:24 PM »

My mom has just about everything, but I'm making her a beaded cardinal for Christmas, and a beaded glass perfume bottle for her birthday (December 25th).

My mom's pat answer is "slippers," but she also does the "get me ____, but don't spend more than $xx because I can get it cheaper than that."   Roll Eyes  I admit, though. She does actually use the slippers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
slb2724
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006 03:55:30 PM »

My mom has just about everything, but I'm making her a beaded cardinal for Christmas, and a beaded glass perfume bottle for her birthday (December 25th).

My mom's pat answer is "slippers," but she also does the "get me ____, but don't spend more than $xx because I can get it cheaper than that."   Roll Eyes  I admit, though. She does actually use the slippers.

my moms like that too! plus shes obsessed with these darn avon slippers she got herself...sadly, theyre brand new, and she has 2 pairs...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

North
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006 08:24:49 PM »

If she likes those slippers which are comfy, maybe her feet have been bothering her, you could get her some good foot products from Avon or from Bath and Beauty, like the pumice cream and foot soother stuff. you could make her a pot to put the stuff into.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellyw54
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006 03:41:31 AM »

my mom says that every year and every year I just put together something that I know no one else will think of.  The point of gifts is not really something they need but something they'd never get themselves or no one else would ever think of.  So think of what she really likes and then throw it together. Example: my mom loves Thomas Kincade but she can't afford his paintings, so I found a bunch of pictures of his paintings cut them all up and then collaged them together into one of her favorite paintings of them, framed it and now she has a thomas kincade "painting".  Of course that took me months but I'd just do something you know she really enjoys but will never ask you for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slb2724
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006 12:33:04 PM »

ha! her clapper broke (as in clap on " clap clap" clap off "clap clap") so now not only do i have a ceramic cupcake and a ceramic photo frame, ive got a clapper! whoot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaos

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006 12:34:03 PM »

Now, slb2724...did you break it on purpose so you could buy her something...  Roll Eyes (jk)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2006 01:45:04 PM »

So what does she put on her clapper (what claps on and off)?  I can imagine putting too many things on clappers, and clapping off the whole house.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
faethany
The queen of awesome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006 12:09:07 AM »

When I was a kid I would ask my mom that question "What would you like for chirstmas?" and she would say always "I don't know." And since I was a kid and didn't have that much money what I would do is take something that she already owns, wrap it up and give it to her.

This year I was thinking about doing the same thing with one of her book-boxes, but put pictures of myself and my siblings with cards for her. She likes to scrapbook, so it'll be fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006 05:22:53 AM »

Don't know if it helps anyone, but I'm thinking of doing a photo calendar for my mother in law this year. She (coincidentally) has 12 grandchildren now, so one grandkid per month will work perfectly. Since she compiled a genealogy of her immediate family a few years ago (she has 5 siblings, so with their kids and grandkids, it adds up to 50 people so far!), I was also thinking about writing out all the birthday reminders on the right dates so she would have it all set for 2007.  Smiley 

I've been thinking about doing a scrapbook for the genealogy for about 5 years now, but I really don't do papercrafting much, so I keep putting it off.  That, and counting up 50 people made it a kind of intimidating project (I figured one page per person, so she could add pages as the family expands). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
slb2724
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2006 01:31:30 PM »

hahaha! i didn't break  it...it was just convenient timing! Cheesy she claps on a lamp in her room, for when she reads at night
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coral
Yarn Rescuer!

beer gut

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006 04:48:10 PM »

My family has a tradition that I absolutely love.  We give eachother matching mugs - we buy one for ourself and one for the other person, usually something handmade from a local crafter.  You could make the mugs (or something similar) yourself if you're into ceramics. Or maybe you could make a ceramic bowl and fill it with home-made food items like truffles.

My mom is always this same way - she doesn't have a lot of stuff, but she doesn't seem to really like a lot of stuff.  I learned to knit so I could make presents for her and others. 

And like the person in a previous post, you could just donate to charity in her honor, giving her a handmade card telling her that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get some yarn! Jewelry! YARN! 
www.blackcoral.etsy .com

Vintage Sewing Patterns!!
www.saltwatersupply .etsy.com
urban_albino

Open your mind, open your heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006 09:07:38 PM »

I have an idea --- get her a lampshade and craft it to make it the most kick lampshade has ever seen.  Implement her tastes and things she likes and make like a ... scrapbook lampshade.  Who knows, maybe if you think hard on it, you can come up with something really cool. 
Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when the caterpillar thought it would die, it turned into a butterfly.
echornor
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006 02:49:53 PM »

calendar, at place like staples and office max you can get them made, but you could make it yourself,

or a scrapbook of family members,

one of those calendars that has a page for every day with a saying and a pic or drawing.

thats all I can think of ...my mind is blank...

how bout a ceramic fountain, depending on were you live, it might be hard but they are really nice for the garden

THIS ROCKS   Logged
josita
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006 03:01:17 PM »

Maybe a placeholder now for things she'd usually get in the summer. Like a certificate to a local garden center for a flat of plants - plus your own offer to plant them.

Also, think "experience" vs. gift - a trip to the museum to see a special exhibit, play tickets, a massage...and you can package in a crafty way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Fabric Glitter Liner Pens
How to Use Fabric Paints
How to Take Off Fabric Paints
How to Make an Opaque Glass Painting
How to Paint a Wine Glass
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...