A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing purse, plus triangualr pouch(added)  (Read 691 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lomax
« on: November 29, 2006 07:04:34 PM »

So, I got a basic sewing machine the other day from Spotlight, I had a second hand one which I got at an op shop, which seemed ok for a while then it would just tear fabrics to pieces and that was not nice, so this is my own design based on the long wallet idea slightly smaller than the long wallet also.

This one is going to my grandma for xmas seeing as she also sews, other female relatives are getting one as well as I am making them a small box which will have this a pin cushion, some knitted face cloths and a small book/other unknown item in it as well...  I will be sure to post them as I finish if anyone is interested, I will be pdf'ing the pattern details on my blog when I get that up too... Enjoy and thanks!

This is the button I chose to use, sadly I only have one of them its plastic but so pretty i love the flower and flourishes on it!

My first button hole.. I could not think of a better way to attach the elastic to the pouch without it looking messy

Open, from left to right.. there is a small pocket on this part for scissors, pens, pad... in the center there is a zippered pouch with a pocket behind it.. to the right is a snap for the needle book cover, below that are 4 small pockets for any smaller items.. smaller pencils.. un picker.. anything Smiley

And  a 15cm triangular pouch for my nephew to keep items in.. one of three, 2 are in the works..

Please give me any crits and comments on how to get this to lay flat better and stop puckering? And of course any other comments are welcome too! Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006 12:45:20 AM by lomax » THIS ROCKS   Logged
csphd
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006 05:33:10 AM »

They're both nice Smiley

Do you mean the sewing purse to lie flatter or the pouch?  For the sewing purse, I would top stitch it all around the outside to get a smoother look.  Use a thread for the top that matches the outer fabric and a thread for the bobbin that matches the lining.  Unless you want contrasting, then use what you want Cheesy

For the pouch, I'm not sure if yours is line or not, but I usually use a boning tool on all my seams and corners before I flip it right side out, that way they lay a little nicer Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lomax
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006 06:44:10 AM »

Yay a reply!

I ment for the sewing purse, I thought about top stitching. I think I held off because I am unsure as to using double and how this would even out as everytime I use the double I get a jagged line from the under bobbin.. so  I am assuming you mean that I should top sew with a single needle?

The triangular one turned out perfect... its to hold lego or other small sets that my nephew has that in his toybox *large one made of pine they sourced from somewhere*  basically i didnt line the triangular one intentionally... kids never see the inside... and  its alot easier to whip up in 10 mins... sturdy as.. though im sure if it was for a good friend /sale that I would line it purely because i like to look inside items myself... I just know my niece and nephew well enough to know they really dont care Smiley not for something that smalll anyway... his dino bag I am lining because he will notice!

Thanks for your reply I will try your ideas on another item at some point.. at the moment i think the fabric alone holds the shape I want! (do you have a url btw?).. its the only one! and it made my night!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Exhibit Tour: Prada and Schiaparelli at The Met
Push Button House
2000 IKEA Hangers Transformed Into Art
Off Book: Product Design
Off Book: Visual Culture Online
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...