A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's in a perfect bag?  (Read 2136 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NessaGurl
« on: November 19, 2006 07:27:06 AM »

Hiya,
I'm looking to sell more of my bags on etsy... but I'm wondering what people want in a bag? I like cute handbags, but I'm not sure if that's what others want since most of the bags I have sold on etsy are larger ones.

So ... could you let me know what is important to you when purchasing a bag...and what is the deciding factor in purchasing a bag online.

Thanks.
NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
bixby2
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006 07:44:37 AM »

It depends on what I am using the bag for.  I usually have all sorts of small things in my bag, so I like having pockets all over.  My favorite bag was a hiddeous shade of bright pink, but it had pockets EVERYWHERE.  Inside and out, all sorts of different shapes and sizes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006 08:37:06 AM »

I echo the pocket sentiment...usually I'm carrying some knitting or crocheting, or a whole bunch of drawing supplies, so pockets are very important for keeping everything from becoming one big jumble in the bottom of the bag.

Straps long enough to put over my head and hang diagonally across my body are also a must for me...I don't like having to hold the straps in my hand or around my shoulder/elbow because it's restricting if I'm doing the aforementioned crafting while walking around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FineGirl
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006 09:13:58 AM »

I like a small bag myself, and no pockets because if it is out of sight it is out of mind. I need everything right in front of me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I love needles
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006 11:47:50 AM »

I am a mom so I need a huge bag that holds a lot of stuff but doesn't look huge.
Ha Ha, now I just need to adjust the spatial dimension in my bag so that could be possible!
I actually love love love clutches, but I never go anywhere that I'll only need a wallet and lipstick, so I only look at those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilfishyinbigblu
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006 11:57:22 AM »

a perfect bag for me is one that fits over my shoulder or shoulders, i cant deal with holding it, or having it on my elbow. it also needs to fit my wallet and keys, cell phone, camera, cigarettes, small sketch book, and a pen. i don't like pockets because once my stuff is in there i never see it again, the only pockets i like are the little ones for feminine items so my boy doesn't see them while i do threw my bag
hope that helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft_t_chic
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006 01:14:00 PM »

For me, pockets are a must. If I leave my phone in the bottom of my bag, it gets buried and all I can do is follow the ring and hope to catch it in time! Same goes for my wallet, but I can't for the life of me get it to ring so I can find it! Wink

When purchasing a bag online, it's usually all about what it looks like for me. I need to know the dimensions, and all about the pockets and how it's sturdy and well constructed, but lots of good pictures of a fabulous bag will definitely draw me in. You have to have lots of pics, because you can't do what you would do when you have it in your hands, which is open it, look inside, tug on it, figure out how you'll fit everything....etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy.com
NessaGurl
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006 02:37:00 PM »

wow... thanks for all the information...I guess I should definitely make some over the shoulder bags... and more pockets ( or at least the option)

Thanks
NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006 04:04:26 PM »

I'm VERY picky so not sure if my opinion will help.

I personally like big handbags. Like the tote part is a little too big for the small handles. Great for your basics but you can always throw in a book or a snack etc. I also like my handbags to have 2 handles that are just big enough for me to slip it over my shoulder if my hands start hurting or my arms get to full but still cute enough to be a handbag in itself.

Minimum 2 pockets. One the size of my cell & one for my keys. I've noticed when I make purses for people they dont like big deep pockets or the zipper ones as much as the shallow easy to get to side pockets.

I also like purses that are easy to get into when I want to but harder for a pickpocket. I LOVE magnetic snaps, easy to open but if someone tries to get in your purse you can feel it "pop" open. I HATE zipper closures too much fuss when I'm shopping getting my money in & out.

I like to have a metal D-ring sewn in my purse somewhere so I can clip on my keys or a mini wallet....again for pickpockets (can you tell I go to a lot of crowded festivals)

One of the best purses I have ever had was split into 2 sections with what looked like just a piece of fabric between them but it was actually a hidden pocket. It was great because I could seperate my purse into the things I use often & need to get to fast & the more important things I didnt use as much & could button up. Plus I could carry a big wad of cash in the hidden pocket if I was going somewhere & nobody would see it as I was getting into my wallet/purse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

likespointysticks
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006 06:31:55 PM »

motleycruiser, great points about safety, and something that would definately be worth talking up in a listing . . .

I have a couple of purse styles I like:

1. Wallet bag. About the size of a paperback book, with a zipper top, a zipped side pocket, and a flat, no-closure pocket on the other side. Fits my wallet and cell phone in the same main pocket, feminine products/notes/lipstick or lip balm in the side zipper pocket, and tickets can be tucked in the other pocket if I need my hands free or they're too long to go in the main pocket. LOOOONG cross-body strap.

Use it for: football games, wearing under a coat, any event where I want my hands free and don't want to haul a bulky purse around, but don't want to stuff my pockets full of my wallet, cell phone, and keys (or don't have pockets).

Designs I like: simple, bright prints; canvas with a stuffed gecko sewn to the outside; a black outside with lined inside; I WANT one in OSU colors with a Block O on it.

2. Work purse. Black pleather clutch with one main compartment just big enough to put my cell phone, wallet, and other sundries in.

Use it for: Work, and other businessy occasions.

Designs I like: Clean and simple, no buckles, studs, whatever. Classic, smooth lines with a short strap; solid, conservative colors.

3. Smuggle-snacks-into-a-movie purse. Has a main pocket big enough to fit two (maybe even three) paperback or hardback novels, or 2-4 cans/bottles of pop and some candy. Also has multiple outside pockets to hold wallet and phone, perhaps messenger-style with a flap, so that contraband is not revealed in the process of paying for tickets or answering phone. Additionally, can be used for smuggling books/games/knitting into boring social events. My absolute fave is military-style green canvas with tons of pockets and an adjustable-length strap that can go across the body or over the shoulder. I also have a slightly smaller pink purse from target that is over-the-shoulder, but it's closure is only a tie, making it less suitable for snack smuggling. Zipper and/or flap closures are preferred for smuggling.

4. Big Momma. Not so much a purse, as a tote. Straps MUST be long enough to go over the shoulder. Pockets are not terribly important, nor top closures. Clever prints are a bonus, although one of my favorite totes is just a cotton "Schlecker" bag.

Use it for: hauling my knitting to SnB; carrying homework to the laundromat to work on; bringing odds and ends with me to craft fairs; temporary storage; occasional movie snack smuggling; hippie grocery shopping.

Designs I like: Strap that can go over the shoulder; deep capacity; thick-enough fabric that it's not see-through, thin enough that it can be folded up and carried with another bag, or in a medium-sized purse.

IN GENERAL . . . purses for me must be able to be worn over the shoulder, and must be able to contain a paperback book in addition to my wallet and phone. Businessy purses are the only exception to the rules.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006 06:35:45 PM by likespointysticks » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my dictionary.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Will a digital camera make picture taking easier?
What is the difference between film and digital cameras?
How to Light Eyes Properly in a Movie or Photo
How to Take Better Pictures Part 1
How to Clean a Digital SLR Sensor
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...